cmcveay

Inexpensive mod for 2nd Gen

A while back, I ordered the modified diverter valve from Way Motor Works and I just got around to doing the install this morning.

The turbo doesn't make any more boost but when you have boost is changed. Since I've got a pressure gauge, I can see when the boost is coming in and what I noticed right away (using my "buttometer" and watching the boost pressure) was that I was making boost at with less throttle. Normally, we don't start showing pressure until about mid throttle and above and that pressure slowly builds. Now, I start seeing boost with less throttle. Also, it doesn't dump as much pressure between shifts so when you change gears and get back on the throttle, it's still got pressure and you are off to the races again.

There's a pretty good thread on this over on NAM but I wanted to post this here in case anyone was thinking about this mod.

The install took about 20 minutes and required only a small socket and a small allen wrench. Do yourself a favor and let car cool off completely before doing this mod. The turbo housing holds heat for a while!

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

Interesting. How much did this little mod cost?

2006 MCS, SB/S , "B.A."

• Performance: DINAN "Stage 5" tune, throttle body, boost kit (fuel pump, pulley), & CAI; JCW exhaust sans resonator, brakes, & GP IC; DDM IC diverter; CSF Racing Aluminum Radiator
  • Suspension: DINAN front strut brace; Alta 22mm rear bar; KW V1 coil-overs; H-Sport adjustable rear control arms; CravenSpeed strut underators
  • Interior: CravenSpeed gauge mounts with Cooper S boost and voltage, & shift well cover
  • Wheels: Enkei PF01 17"
  • Audio: Kenwood Excelon KDC-X994 HU; MTX Terminator speakers F&B

Alan @ opensource.com

wondering whether to do the one you got or the new diverter valve that they came out with from forge.

2010 MCS Laurel edition RMW Tune ;-), ALTA FMIC, Invidia Q300 Exhaust, NM Eng. CAI, NM Discharge pipe, NM Charge pipe, NM Strut brace, Open hood scoop, Stri Boost gauge, Craven Speed shiftwell(black), BSH CC, and many more goodies!.

Alan, it was about $60 but it's 2nd Gen only. I haven't seen the one from Forge but the biggest advantage to the one from Way is that it's an OEM part so there's no indication to the dealer that there's anything different. From what I understand, the OEM part has a spring from an Audi and it increases the tension by a little.

You could say that but it's not that simple. Many of the aftermarket BOV's cause a CEL because they vent to atmosphere while ECU is looking for certain things and when the "excess" pressure is vented to the atmosphere, it flags the ECU which then throws the CEL. By keeping the diverter, the "excess" pressure is treated the same as it is with the OEM part but the different spring has different tension and it reacts differently. The ECU is still happy because it's being told what it wants to "hear" but the car is actually running stronger.

Saying it's "just a BOV" is like saying a Keith Black HEMI is "Just a V-8". Technically a true statement but it's not the full story.

Take a look through the thread on NAM and you'll find dozens of others who have installed the part and they have the same comments. For the price and time required, this is a mod that'll fit on just about any budget.

I've had the helix BOV in my MINI for over a year and never got a check engine light. It unloads the turbo for better throttle response and takes away the wear and tear of leaving boosted air in the intake.

2009 MINI Clubman Factory JCW CR/B

Helix BOV, DDM CAI, Helix STS, 35% tint, Black R113 wheels, eibach pro kit, 8000K 55w HID's.

2006 MINI Cooper S PS/B 176 fwhp/ 165 fwtq SOLD

2004 Pontiac GTO BLK 389 rwhp / 454 rwtq SOLD

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

the way part i believe is the DV from the older twin turbo S4

2010 MCS Laurel edition RMW Tune ;-), ALTA FMIC, Invidia Q300 Exhaust, NM Eng. CAI, NM Discharge pipe, NM Charge pipe, NM Strut brace, Open hood scoop, Stri Boost gauge, Craven Speed shiftwell(black), BSH CC, and many more goodies!.

The best response is from a closed system so that boost that is left in the intacke tract is immediately available, unfortunately it produces more wear and tear on the chargers:thumbsdown: .

I've had the helix BOV in my MINI for over a year and never got a check engine light. It unloads the turbo for better throttle response and takes away the wear and tear of leaving boosted air in the intake.

Jason, stop being such a lurker my friend! Happy New year to you and I hope you are doing well. You still up here or are you down in FL with the family?

I guess you are one of the lucky ones as far as the CEL goes. I never put one in as I wanted to keep that noise level down a bit. It's kind of a "cop magnet" when they hear that whooshing noise...

Jason, stop being such a lurker my friend! Happy New year to you and I hope you are doing well. You still up here or are you down in FL with the family?

I guess you are one of the lucky ones as far as the CEL goes. I never put one in as I wanted to keep that noise level down a bit. It's kind of a "cop magnet" when they hear that whooshing noise...

Still in Annandale for now, I've been down to Florida alot because my dad got sick. Never had issues with cops in the MINI, but the GTO was a different story. I'll be lurking around he whenever I get a chance. Trying to make it to saturdays dealer meet.

2009 MINI Clubman Factory JCW CR/B

Helix BOV, DDM CAI, Helix STS, 35% tint, Black R113 wheels, eibach pro kit, 8000K 55w HID's.

2006 MINI Cooper S PS/B 176 fwhp/ 165 fwtq SOLD

2004 Pontiac GTO BLK 389 rwhp / 454 rwtq SOLD

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hope to see you around, Lona and I are flying to Lousiana on Saturday to visit my dad.

ZugZug - I can't tell you if there's a difference yet, I'm still working on the same tank of gas but I'll probably fill up this evening and I'll have a rough idea. I think most of the comments finally agreed that the negative impact on gas mileage was negligible once they got over the "new toy" aspect. If I keep my right foot in check, I can get 35+ mpg but if I drive the way I really want, I end up with about 30....

This sat?

Still in Annandale for now, I've been down to Florida alot because my dad got sick. Never had issues with cops in the MINI, but the GTO was a different story. I'll be lurking around he whenever I get a chance. Trying to make it to saturdays dealer meet.

A hawaiian skirt:listen:

This sounds interesting... Cricket needs a 50k present.

A while back, I ordered the modified diverter valve from Way Motor Works and I just got around to doing the install this morning.

The turbo doesn't make any more boost but when you have boost is changed. Since I've got a pressure gauge, I can see when the boost is coming in and what I noticed right away (using my "buttometer" and watching the boost pressure) was that I was making boost at with less throttle. Normally, we don't start showing pressure until about mid throttle and above and that pressure slowly builds. Now, I start seeing boost with less throttle. Also, it doesn't dump as much pressure between shifts so when you change gears and get back on the throttle, it's still got pressure and you are off to the races again.

There's a pretty good thread on this over on NAM but I wanted to post this here in case anyone was thinking about this mod.

The install took about 20 minutes and required only a small socket and a small allen wrench. Do yourself a favor and let car cool off completely before doing this mod. The turbo housing holds heat for a while!

WMW just shipped this item to me. I'm really excited! I've heard varying things about the install, from people who thought it was super easy, to those who thought it was unbearably hard. I'm crossing my fingers!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Stella" 2007 MCS, SS/B, Red Lounge Leather, WMW DV, NM Engineering TA, KIWI WIFI + Rev + KUDA

Bill. A couple of little secrets for making this mod easier? Do it on a cold car, not a hot or even warm car because you'll spend most of the time with the one hand or the other right up against that hot little snail...

unbolt the radiator overflow container and move it to the side (one bolt and one plastic "lip").

Use the longest allen wrench you can find and if you have access to metric T handle allen wrenches, those work even better. It really isn't all that hard and doing the swap while it's cold is a key to success without too much pain.

P.S. Love the "Compensating" badge!

Thanks for the tips! I found a thread over on NAM that seemed pretty detailed. It shipped today, so I'll probably end up putting it in when I get it after the meet and greet on Saturday!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Stella" 2007 MCS, SS/B, Red Lounge Leather, WMW DV, NM Engineering TA, KIWI WIFI + Rev + KUDA

It also helps if you have small hands. (I don't)

I used a 1/4" drive ratchet with an allen socket. 2 of the 3 bolts are easy, the third is a bit of a pain.

Now it's on to the LSD... This car absolutely cries out for a LSD.

No matter where you go, there you are!