LolitaNme

Oil Change Once A Year??

I just went to the dealer for my first oil change because my MINI is at 5200 miles. I just bought her in July and figured like any other car, every 5000 is a good oil change mileage. The dealer told me I have another 11,000 miles to go! And that the MINI only needs an oil change every 10,000 miles or once a year. Does that seem crazy to anyone? It's a 2010 MINI Hardtop. Nothin fancy =) Let me know your thoughts =)

IMO, MINI's oil change intervals are too long. That said, I know there are at least 99000 views on this topic. As you own the car over time, you may want to consider having you oil analyzed by e.g Blackstone labs; by doing this you can make a better decision re: best interval for you using both quantitative and qualitative data. I change my own oil, (other than the oil change done by MINI as part of the maintenance service for the first few years of ownership). It is easy to do and fairly inexpensive. :top:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Just remember that it's all conditioned based; just depends on how you drive the car. That's why it's so nice having the service indicator countdown. The car will let you know when you need service.

'03 JB MCS- SOLD: JCW front bumper, intake, exhaust, brakes, CF dash, 15% pulley, Multifunction Steering Wheel retrofit, Euro white taillights, Factory Driving Lights, Wyvern Motorsports Rear Seat Delete, and more....

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

We are a society that has been taught to change it at 3 to 5K. For us here, that is really no big deal as our oil is fairly cheap. However, in Europe things are very different. A liter of oil in Germany is 22 Euro most of what is tax. Synthetic oils can easily do the milage, this has been proven over and over with the tests that have been posted. I personally do the milage (with the exception of the first change that I did after run in) and have not seen or had a problem yet. I had my oil checked in Germany at 15 and I was told that it could go more. The choice is yours, but I prefer to let it go the distance as recommended as do most of the Europeans that I know with no problems.

Regardless of how often you change your oil, you should be checking the level frequently. :top:

That is the best tip yet! Can't tell you how many MINIs I have seen or heard of with low oil because people think that they don't have to check the oil. :stupid:

Regardless of how often you change your oil, you should be checking the level frequently. :top:

That is a lesson I have been trying to teach my two kids for years....I think my daughter has caught on:top:....but my son still waits for the idiot light to come on:stupid:....

image.php?u=620&type=sigpic&dateline=129

Next Generation Trnka Toy

2003 R53 MCSm, EB/W

That's very good advice for those of us with the boosted engine. The higher pressures force oil through the PCV/EGR valve which ends up in the intake system and intercooler. This can cause oil level to drop especially if you're "gettin' on it" all the time. This is the reason so many vendors started selling oil catch cans.

2006 MCS, SB/S , "B.A."

• Performance: DINAN "Stage 5" tune, throttle body, boost kit (fuel pump, pulley), & CAI; JCW exhaust sans resonator, brakes, & GP IC; DDM IC diverter; CSF Racing Aluminum Radiator
  • Suspension: DINAN front strut brace; Alta 22mm rear bar; KW V1 coil-overs; H-Sport adjustable rear control arms; CravenSpeed strut underators
  • Interior: CravenSpeed gauge mounts with Cooper S boost and voltage, & shift well cover
  • Wheels: Enkei PF01 17"
  • Audio: Kenwood Excelon KDC-X994 HU; MTX Terminator speakers F&B

Alan @ opensource.com

Also remember that doing it too often, i.e. sooner than need, is wasteful and that the used oil must be properly recycled. Following the recommendations of the manufacturer can save you some bucks since the synthetic is quite a bit more expensive.

And when you decide to do your own changes, consider one of these. I've now done 3 changes on our MINI and 2 on our Subaru, clean, quick and best of all no need to crawl under the car. Just be sure you get the "large" model, it holds 8 QTS.

Just stopped by Mini of Baltimore County and asked about the yearly oil change requirement outlined in BOLD in the maintenance manual. 10,200 miles and 1 year aog I took delevery.

Yep, took it right in and changed the oil no charge.

No matter where you go, there you are!

On recommendation from David at PMoA I am going with every 7500K (usually twice a year for me). I have been checking my fluid levels and have added oil (about a quart) between changes. The way I drive it works out good for me...vehicle is inspected in Jan...get an oil change and run the 15000K service....bring it back in July for a 7500K oil change and a health check....:motor:

image.php?u=620&type=sigpic&dateline=129

Next Generation Trnka Toy

2003 R53 MCSm, EB/W