MMatarella

Wishing for a reasonably priced full frame DSLR

...with a nice 36 x 24 mm sensor at a reasonable price, and Pentax K mount so I could play with my lovely 17-35mm, 135mm F1.8, 500mm F6.3 and other fun glass. Prices (of the non K mount bodies) have come down but not at the speed of many other consumer electronics.

There are some (full frame) out there by Canon, Nikon, and Sony but cost a arm and a leg and don't take my lenses of course. Sigh... As I recall from the pre digital days I don't think the back space is right for a K mount adapter on any of them anyway and still get focus to infinity.

There was Pentax full frame protype... But went no further. The 20D is a 1.5 crop factor which is getting better. But my 17mm rectilinear will be about a 26mm view at that rate. My fav portrait lens a 135mm f1.8 would be too long for that at a equiv 200mm. And it was a trifle long at 135mm but with the shallow depth of field I can get it is nice.

Yes I know I could start over with new lenses, but see I HAVE lenses and I got these cheap over the years. :biggrin:

Anyone else lament things like this? The passing of Kodachrome? And Plus-X and Panatomic-X?

I'm not that, that old but anybody else remember cameras that didn't even take a battery?

Here is the timeline of my pre-digital era. :wink:

If I recall it correctly, the rangefinder Petri 7s is my first camera.

Petri-7S.jpg

Then my dad gave me my first SLR, the Petri FT.

Petri-FT.jpg

Then, one of my all time favorites, NIKON FM. Rugged and never fell me. :top:

800px-Nikon_FM.jpg

And this sexy F3 HP. I always love to hold her in my hands, with my favorite Nikor 55mm/f2.8 macro lense. :wink:

2179786139_00cfd5f421.jpg

And finally my pre-digital era's work horse, the F5. The best film camera, if not the best camera, I have ever owned.

NikonF5front80mm.JPG

Hey Maxi, you ever see my camera collection when out here for a DCMM Cookout?

My first camera was a 'Diana'. Took 127 roll film and had three exposure settings and three focus settings. I was 6 and the neighbors got it for me because we were going to Niagara Falls.

Then a few Instamatics. First 'real' camera my dad got me a used outfit from a friend that bought a new OM-1 was a Ricoh Singlex (35mm slr) with a 55 f1.4, 28mm f2.8 and a 135mm f3.5.

Had two of those. Started adding all kinds of cameras to the collection for fun, Yashica 44m TLR, some very old rangerfinder 35's and a couple 16mm subminiatures. Family started giving me their old cameras too for the collection. Then got a Pentax K2DMD titanium with a 5 fps motor drive, bulk back and data backs. Then went to a Pentax Super Program.

When that and the K2 DMD had died I just used the old Ricoh's for a long time. Eventually I wanted better again so, being that to my taste the Pentax Super Program was the pinnacle of camera's I liked (at a resonable cost) I jumped on Ebay and easily aquired a few user Pentax Super Program bodies again and am happy with them. I've been meaing to a a Pentax MX too. Nice light manual body with nice feature set too.

Yep, you have an awesome collection of camera. :top:

Unfortunately, I didn't have a chance to keep any of them. I used them a lot, not abuse but not pampered either, I really use them. :tongue:

At the mean time, I also take a good care of all my equipments, properly clean, sending them in for routine check-up/maintenance, etc.

I changed my equipments mostly when it's near or at the end of their lives. :rofl:

Actually, my current cameras have passed their due already. :tongue:

Hey, if you guys had to recommend a place to take a DSLR for periodic maintenance, where would it be? Keep in mind I'd rather not have to drive to Baltimore though! I live in NOVA. I've got a Nikon D-40X that I really, really enjoy shooting with and I'm looking at upgrading to another Nikon but I seem to spend all of my allowance on "KOOPER" lately. OH, my first camera was a 127 as well but I don't recall the brand or anything else. My first "real" camera was a Minolta SRT-101 and later, I went with another Minolta and I don't remember the model number "S-7 something) that had an all black body and I was able to keep my glass. My first DSLR was a Canon EOS Rebel that shot some nice pics. I think I'm a Nikon fan now though.

What do you guys use for your workflow management and photo editing? I'm all Mac for computers and I have CS3 on my iMac and Photoshop Elements 6 (upgrading to 8 when it's on the streets). I use iPhoto for connectivity as it's friendlier than Photoshop but if 8.0 delivers as promised, I'll go with it for end to end processing.

Tks!

Edited by cmcveay

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

Hey, if you guys had to recommend a place to take a DSLR for periodic maintenance, where would it be? Keep in mind I'd rather not have to drive to Baltimore though! I live in NOVA. I've got a Nikon D-40X that I really, really enjoy shooting with and I'm looking at upgrading to another Nikon but I seem to spend all of my allowance on "KOOPER" lately.

Tks!

Other than sending mine to NPS, the other place is Strauss Photo-Tech in DC. http://www.iglobal.com/SPTS/ and Pro Photo in DC.

Hope this help. :biggrin:

What do you guys use for your workflow management and photo editing? I'm all Mac for computers and I have CS3 on my iMac and Photoshop Elements 6 (upgrading to 8 when it's on the streets). I use iPhoto for connectivity as it's friendlier than Photoshop but if 8.0 delivers as promised, I'll go with it for end to end processing.

Tks!

Workflow management ..........

I work on Window base platform.

Images transfer....... Nikon Transfer

Browse/catalog....... Nikon View NX

NEF/RAW converter....... Nikon Capture NX

Image Enhancing....... Photoshop CS3

Workflow Management?

My Preferred system was...

Pan-X or Plus-x in D-76... Kodabromide non RC fixed contrast papers in Dektol 1:1 with water. I did break down and used veriable contrast RC paper and filters evetually for some stuff. For image enhancing various dodging tools in assorted shapes at the end metal rods for lightening areas during print exposure, and for areas that needed to be a bit darker you just breath warm breath on the paper to speed up the developer in that area. :biggrin:

I also did color prints some and even did a full E-6 Ektachrome process at home a few tiimes. But given they are done in total dark with no manipulation they were no fun.

Hahahahahaha sorry I couldn't help it. True though, all true.

Oh, and to be honest I DO have a Eye Fi SD card in my digital camera, leave the camera on when I get home and it auto uploads all the new photos to my PC via my WiFi. It only does stills though. Seems I can't put one in my HiDef video camera that uses SD cards and have the video autoupload. And I did get a new printer for home, a Epson 6 ink one that'll print 13" by 19" prints.

Edited by MMatarella