HasAnMTBProblem

R60 Heater Blower Won't go past 50%

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has seen in the R60's where the heater blower will only increase power up to about half way. I found out as the temps got colder that, even though I can turn up the blower past 50%, no increase of air is felt coming out of the vents. This is on manual mode, not auto A/C.

Also, may be related, a couple of times the blower motor would be on full blast at startup, even though the selector was turned down to 1. A simple click up to 2, solved it. Then it would be fine at 1 again. Only did it on start up.

Thanks, in advance.

Colby

image.php?u=1714&type=sigpic&dateline=14

"Big Pig" - KW V3 Coilovers - Hotchkis rear control arms - Milltek cat back exhaust with black MBRP tips - Flat black vinyl wrapped head/tail light rights - ECS Black Line Tail Lights - Outmotoring Smoked Side Markers - Outmotoring Smoked Scuttle Turn Signals - Joey Mod Head lights - Outmotoring LED Driving Lights - Enkei T6S 18x8 et42 Wheels - Continental ExtremeContact Sport 235/40R18

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has seen in the R60's where the heater blower will only increase power up to about half way. I found out as the temps got colder that, even though I can turn up the blower past 50%, no increase of air is felt coming out of the vents. This is on manual mode, not auto A/C.

Also, may be related, a couple of times the blower motor would be on full blast at startup, even though the selector was turned down to 1. A simple click up to 2, solved it. Then it would be fine at 1 again. Only did it on start up.

Thanks, in advance.

Colby

I would bring that in to the dealer if you have an extended warranty. You know club members get a discount if you don't have a warranty.

There might be someone here that knows what's going on but it sounds like a mechanic issue to me.

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

Yeah, would just like to have an idea about what it could be because shops hate troubleshooting electrical issue. Btw, just found out that I can't turn off my headlights during the day. They turn off went I turn off the car, but if it's running, they're on. Not talking about DRL's, either.

"Big Pig" - KW V3 Coilovers - Hotchkis rear control arms - Milltek cat back exhaust with black MBRP tips - Flat black vinyl wrapped head/tail light rights - ECS Black Line Tail Lights - Outmotoring Smoked Side Markers - Outmotoring Smoked Scuttle Turn Signals - Joey Mod Head lights - Outmotoring LED Driving Lights - Enkei T6S 18x8 et42 Wheels - Continental ExtremeContact Sport 235/40R18

Yeah, would just like to have an idea about what it could be because shops hate troubleshooting electrical issue. Btw, just found out that I can't turn off my headlights during the day. They turn off went I turn off the car, but if it's running, they're on. Not talking about DRL's, either.

I had the headlight issue, they had to reprogram my console. It was a mess, luckily covered under warranty as they blew up the first replacement during the reprogramming.

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

So, new development with this issue. Due to a battery drain warning, I put the car on the charger. It was at 56%. So, I charged it up to 100%. Since then the blower has been working fine. Not sure if coincidence, as the weather has been warmer. Will keep an eye on it.

I still need to check the headlights to see if they are working correctly, now.

If this isn't coincidence, it's curious that the battery would need to be fully charged in order for the electronics to work correctly. Seems like the alternator should provide all the power needed. ...unless my alternator is going out. I should test it and see how many volts/amps it's pushing.

Update on headlight issue:

Apparently what we call daytime running lights is not the same thing as what Mini calls daytime running lamps. Once I turned this off, I was able to turn off my headlights, but they go all the way off. No headlights AND no DRLs.

DRL.jpg

Which brings up something interesting. This car has a weird configuration on it. Customer opted for the cold weather package and sat-nav w/ Harmon Kardon stereo, but didn't get auto-dimming mirrors, garage door opener, auto-on headlights, or daytime running lights (the real kind). Not sure I understand that logic.

Edited by HasAnMTBProblem

Update on headlight issue:

Apparently what we call daytime running lights is not the same thing as what Mini calls daytime running lamps. Once I turned this off, I was able to turn off my headlights, but they go all the way off. No headlights AND no DRLs.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e7/tjbuggy2b/DRL.jpg

Which brings up something interesting. This car has a weird configuration on it. Customer opted for the cold weather package and sat-nav w/ Harmon Kardon stereo, but didn't get auto-dimming mirrors, garage door opener, auto-on headlights, or daytime running lights (the real kind). Not sure I understand that logic.

Up until last year, I think, the only way to get true DRL was to buy the ones that are mounted in the grill, or buy the LED Halo DRL(includes the fog lights). I'm pretty sure it was last year they added the option from factory to get the Halos. Yours was likely speced by the dealer would be my guess as they like to put on the more popular features.

IMG_0147.jpg

Hmm, sumbitch.

FYI, alternator and battery replaced under warranty. No issues with the blower since then.