Edge

Bold Rock Cidery "practice run" @ MOTD

So I hinted a month or two ago that I may be organizing a run for MOTD this year. It turns out I have been too busy to organize an official run (MOTD registration, RSVPs, etc.), but I have decided to go ahead and do a practice run for it anyway - work out the kinks, and maybe make it a "real" run next year at MOTD 15 (in 2017).

The run would basically be from Fontana Village to the new Bold Rock Hard Cider location in Mills River, NC, which is a little bit south of Asheville. It would involve lunch either at the cidery (if they serve food) or somewhere nearby the cidery, and of course cider tasting.

The fastest route from Fontana to the cidery is 105 miles and about 2 hours driving, according to Google Maps. I may experiment with adding a bit more distance and time to that to make it more "fun" (backroads vs. highway), but finding the right balance of drive time vs. curvy roads may be tricky, because with a 2 hour each way drive, plus lunch & tasting, it would pretty much be an "all day" drive.

So Susan and I are planning on doing a "practice run" for this on Thursday @ MOTD (May 12). Many (most?) of you probably already have plans for the daytime there (e.g. I know Ali will be doing photo shoots as a vendor), but for anyone who doesn't have daytime plans on the Thursday and wants to join us, you are most welcome. :smile:

The plan is very casual. I may make a simple route sheet - but right now it's all about exploration and getting a feel for whether it would be a viable organized run next year.

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

Small update - I found what looks to be a slightly longer (but more fun!) alternate route - about 2.5 hours of driving each way and ~112 miles. I'm going to try to put some bathroom breaks in the middle each way also, as I realize not everyone can drive that far without a pitstop.

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

OK, I've created a route sheet for this... Susan and I will be doing the practice run on Thursday (5/12). Anyone is welcome to join us - or if you'd like a copy of the route sheet to do it on your own, I'll print a few extras and bring them with me. :smile:

So I hinted a month or two ago that I may be organizing a run for MOTD this year. It turns out I have been too busy to organize an official run (MOTD registration, RSVPs, etc.), but I have decided to go ahead and do a practice run for it anyway - work out the kinks, and maybe make it a "real" run next year at MOTD 15 (in 2017).

The run would basically be from Fontana Village to the new Bold Rock Hard Cider location in Mills River, NC, which is a little bit south of Asheville. It would involve lunch either at the cidery (if they serve food) or somewhere nearby the cidery, and of course cider tasting.

The fastest route from Fontana to the cidery is 105 miles and about 2 hours driving, according to Google Maps. I may experiment with adding a bit more distance and time to that to make it more "fun" (backroads vs. highway), but finding the right balance of drive time vs. curvy roads may be tricky, because with a 2 hour each way drive, plus lunch & tasting, it would pretty much be an "all day" drive.

So Susan and I are planning on doing a "practice run" for this on Thursday @ MOTD (May 12). Many (most?) of you probably already have plans for the daytime there (e.g. I know Ali will be doing photo shoots as a vendor), but for anyone who doesn't have daytime plans on the Thursday and wants to join us, you are most welcome. :smile:

The plan is very casual. I may make a simple route sheet - but right now it's all about exploration and getting a feel for whether it would be a viable organized run next year.

You're right I'll be working Thursday but I'm sure you'll get takers

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg