santypnoy4

HPFP Issue?

Hey guys, i have a 2008 R56S with about 88K auto. The car was great and had no major issues in the past 3 and half years and owning it. Then this morning, the car would not start at all. I can't figure this out, i have not seen or noticed any symptoms of the HPFP failures. IE rough start or idle, or car dying. I have driven the car home from work last and everything was normal. I've tried starting it multiple times, but had no luck. I usually hear the motor of the fuel pump prime before starting but i dont hear it this time. Now i got a CEL of 2F8F... just called a towing company to take it to Passport MINI of Alexandria.

I'd appreciate any advice, or any input. Has anyone experienced something like this. Here's a video... :(

So here's a run down of my experience dealing with this issue. I drove (Lancelot) Friday with no issues :motor:. I never experience any problems prior and i take good care of him. I do all the work and basic maintenance the and never taken it to the dealer. Except for the battery and thermostat which i replaced last summer, it has been trouble free. Never had any CEL, rough idle, or anything that would indicate something is not right. Saturday morning all of a sudden it would not fire up. The engine would crank but would not fire up... i did everything i could to diagnose and try to find the issue but had no luck. :banghead:

So i decided to have it towed to PMoA late Saturday evening, at this point i dont have a choice. They called me Monday (yesterday) and was told the battery is dead and i will need a new battery. I explained to them that the batter was only a couple months old, i may have drained it due to trying to start it multiple times. Since its not an OEM battery, they wouldn't touch it. I understand, so i asked my SA if its okay if i go there and swap my battery myself. I ran over to NAPA autoparts and bought a new battery for $138. Then i went to PMoA to swapped the battery in my car, good thing i have a basic set of tools in my boot.

This morning i got a call from my SA and he basically confirmed what i told them. Lancelot would crank but would not fire up and they will have to diagnose it for a fee. I gave him the green light to proceed...

Later this afternoon the SA called me again and said they found the issue and that the timing chain came loose. They have already replaced it since there was a recall for that part. Then he gave me the great news, Lancelot is now back to normal and running well. Im so happy that it wasn't anything too crazy or a major repair.

I dont understand how the timing chain would come loose after being parked all night, but it could've been worst. Good thing that didn't go out while driving at highway speeds, that would've been really bad. I'll be picking up Lancelot tomorrow and just happy to have him back. :rock:

I'm very impressed with my SA, he was very professional and courteous. He explained every details thoroughly and very helpful with my questions. I would say one of the best customer service experience I've ever had. :congrats:

I bet the plastic guides the timing chain rides on broke or began to fail, this is a known failure part. This causes the replacement of most peoples timing chain under warranty.. Good thing because if is breaks while running very bad things happen, n14 is and interference engine. Also the tension screw for the chain comes through the back of the engine, and has kind of a low spring tension. Some have it upgraded to help prevent this problem.

Glad to hear everything worked out

1975Mini001.jpg

1975 Mini 1000, 998cc A+ w/ K&N air filter, 10" Mamba wheels

So here's a run down of my experience dealing with this issue. I drove (Lancelot) Friday with no issues :motor:. I never experience any problems prior and i take good care of him. I do all the work and basic maintenance the and never taken it to the dealer. Except for the battery and thermostat which i replaced last summer, it has been trouble free. Never had any CEL, rough idle, or anything that would indicate something is not right. Saturday morning all of a sudden it would not fire up. The engine would crank but would not fire up... i did everything i could to diagnose and try to find the issue but had no luck. :banghead:

So i decided to have it towed to PMoA late Saturday evening, at this point i dont have a choice. They called me Monday (yesterday) and was told the battery is dead and i will need a new battery. I explained to them that the batter was only a couple months old, i may have drained it due to trying to start it multiple times. Since its not an OEM battery, they wouldn't touch it. I understand, so i asked my SA if its okay if i go there and swap my battery myself. I ran over to NAPA autoparts and bought a new battery for $138. Then i went to PMoA to swapped the battery in my car, good thing i have a basic set of tools in my boot.

This morning i got a call from my SA and he basically confirmed what i told them. Lancelot would crank but would not fire up and they will have to diagnose it for a fee. I gave him the green light to proceed...

Later this afternoon the SA called me again and said they found the issue and that the timing chain came loose. They have already replaced it since there was a recall for that part. Then he gave me the great news, Lancelot is now back to normal and running well. Im so happy that it wasn't anything too crazy or a major repair.

I dont understand how the timing chain would come loose after being parked all night, but it could've been worst. Good thing that didn't go out while driving at highway speeds, that would've been really bad. I'll be picking up Lancelot tomorrow and just happy to have him back. :rock:

I'm very impressed with my SA, he was very professional and courteous. He explained every details thoroughly and very helpful with my questions. I would say one of the best customer service experience I've ever had. :congrats:

Who was your SA?

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg