Highpoint1

R56S flashing CEL?

Hello everyone—merry Christmas and/or happy Chinese food.

My fiancée and I took our 2008 MCS to Wisconsin for the holidays (family lives there).

In the last hour of our 1,100-mile, 18-hour drive, the car dinged and flashed the speedo check engine light. The tach display also showed an engine icon momentarily before all returned to normal. About five minutes later, the same thing happened. After the light flashed for a few seconds, no problem at all. We finished our journey without incident and with a car that seemed to be running fine.

Any ideas of what's going on? How worried should I be about driving 1,100 miles back to DC?

My guess is you have an issue with the ignition system they are usually the culprit with flashing CEL, probably a cylinder misfire. I would get it code pulled as soon as you can just to be on the safe side.

06' R53 Pure Silver on Silver ,LSD, 16% WMW Pulley, DDMWorks CAI, Airtec Intercooler, Milltek Non-Resonated Catback, JCW R112s, JCW Grills, M7 strut plates, LEAP Alpha C extension, AtomSpeed Hood Scoop, TRC Lip Spoiler.

If you want to scan your codes yourself I saw a bluetooth ODBII scanner on amazon for like 40 bucks... Hooks up to your phone, and will display everything there with an app.

Kinda nice to have and small and compact you can carry with you anywhere...

Thanks, all. I've taken the car to a nearby independent shop that claims some experience with Minis. Their diagnosis confirmed misfiring and they're in the process of changing the spark plugs. Hopefully this will cure the problem; otherwise there's a chance it will need new coils and/or a flushed fuel system and/or a decarbonization treatment. I hope to know more within an hour.

I'm planning to get a code scanner at the next opportunity, though as I have virtually zero experience in "wrenching" on cars, I'm not sure how useful it will be.

As it happens, while Wisconsin doesn't have any mountains worthy of the name that I know of, the first flashing indication came as we were climbing a long, steep-ish hill at a rate of...uh, spiritedly.

My wife got me a blue tooth OBD2 port that works with an app you install on your table or phone. I was skeptical on how well it would work as a 20 dollar internet purchase, but works great. You can read codes, and reset. Also display different gauges in real time, like temp, boost, etc...

Maybe she will be nice enough the weigh-in with the link were she got it, Brandy_Brown

Thanks, all. I've taken the car to a nearby independent shop that claims some experience with Minis. Their diagnosis confirmed misfiring and they're in the process of changing the spark plugs. Hopefully this will cure the problem; otherwise there's a chance it will need new coils and/or a flushed fuel system and/or a decarbonization treatment. I hope to know more within an hour.

I'm planning to get a code scanner at the next opportunity, though as I have virtually zero experience in "wrenching" on cars, I'm not sure how useful it will be.

As it happens, while Wisconsin doesn't have any mountains worthy of the name that I know of, the first flashing indication came as we were climbing a long, steep-ish hill at a rate of...uh, spiritedly.

1975Mini001.jpg

1975 Mini 1000, 998cc A+ w/ K&N air filter, 10" Mamba wheels

My wife got me a blue tooth OBD2 port that works with an app you install on your table or phone. I was skeptical on how well it would work as a 20 dollar internet purchase, but works great. You can read codes, and reset. Also display different gauges in real time, like temp, boost, etc...

Maybe she will be nice enough the weigh-in with the link were she got it, Brandy_Brown

I got one when the extended warranty guy forgot it in Tigger. Since he wrote me up for having an after market CAI I kept it :biggrin:

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg