StokedAgain

maintaining your dad's Mini

So I'm out at lunch with my lady the other day and my dad (who lives in Newport news) calls. Well, over T-Day I drove his mini as he said he felt some odd things and heard noise. So I drive it, noted several things and then popped the hood just to check out under there as well. Front right wheel hub/bearing was gone, tie rods toast, his new tires wore with toe-all over, probably roasted control arm bushings, and a pretty leaky valve cover. I tell him to take it to one of the mini dealer and have it diagnosed after the holiday and let everyone know what they find and I'll take care of it. Fast forward Back to my dad calling, he's says everything I noted they noted and that he told them to fix it all.... $3100. ummm. Dad, call mini, get her out, I'll be there in 2 days with all the parts and we will shake the car down a second 3rd time. I had him email me the estimate and holy wow. If you can do anything for your Mini, learn to work on them! End unnecessary rant.

Ps, some mini work pics coming soon. I'm also installing a single plate clutch system as well!

2006 Mini Cooper S, Royal Grey Modded, Full Milltek exhaust, RMW tune, Alta air diverter, Alta intake, 17% pulley, Tein Springs, Schroth Pro harness D/P, Short throw shifter modded to appear stock, TSW undercarriage X brace, Cabrio chassis bars, 23mm Rear sway bar, poly racing control arm bushings, Single plate flywheel/clutch conversion, Slotted disc brakes, performance brake pads, Canton slant coolant tank, Carbon wrapped interior, Custom stereo, and other small stuff.

They shouldn't be so expensive! :tongue: lol and of course you find other stuff to when you actually get to taking it apart, so far I am replacing

Left/Right inner balljoints

LR outer balljoints

LR hubs

LR axles

LR tie rods

LR control arm bushings

Valve cover gasket

Coil overs on all corners

Oil change

2 new tires

We spent about an thousand dollars on parts total shipped over night to our door. (Minus tires and used coilovers) I don't even want to think about what it would have been for parts and labor from BMW. Ali I wish he had a garage! I tend to fill out any warranty that comes with a part and I would never charge anyone for defective parts or labor. If you work on something you should be doing right to begin with! He looked into extended aftermarket insurance/warranty but the cost was meh and of course Im all "i got you dad". The car has 75,000 miles and all the components were from the factory and has never been serviced besides oil, tires, and brakes. Bleh! I'm excited to drive it afterwards!

2006 Mini Cooper S, Royal Grey Modded, Full Milltek exhaust, RMW tune, Alta air diverter, Alta intake, 17% pulley, Tein Springs, Schroth Pro harness D/P, Short throw shifter modded to appear stock, TSW undercarriage X brace, Cabrio chassis bars, 23mm Rear sway bar, poly racing control arm bushings, Single plate flywheel/clutch conversion, Slotted disc brakes, performance brake pads, Canton slant coolant tank, Carbon wrapped interior, Custom stereo, and other small stuff.