engender

Have some MINI coolant you could sell me? (VA)

Hello all,

It's labor day and the parts departments are closed.

Yesterday, I got a yellow "engine temperature" warning light. I made an appointment with Passport for tomorrow, but I went this morning and my coolant reservoir looks empty. I looked online, and the consensus seems to be to only use the MINI/BMW coolant to top off. So, I called Passport, and they tell me that they cannot sell me any coolant today.

Does anyone have any coolant I could buy from them today? I'd sure love to take care of this, and I could take a cab to you. I'd be willing to pay like $30 cash for the coolant, which I think is over market.

I'll be checking this thread neurotically, so please let me know and we'll work it out!

I'm going to walk to an Autozone and pick up a couple of bottles of Pentofrost NF:

Does anyone have any experience with this stuff? It claims to be OE for BMW/MINI coolant . . . so I'm thinking about using it to top off the coolant rez for the drive to the dealer tomorrow. Thoughts?

I have some of the BMW stuff in Fairfax. Lee Highway and Fairfax county parkway

Whew. That's a thirty minute drive. I have distilled water now . . . . My choices are 1) top off with the Pentosin and do not drive it until I drive it about 15 minutes to Passport Mini or 2) drive 30 minutes with nothing but distilled water and whatever MINI coolant is left to get some MINI coolant from CarlB. Thoughts?

Interestingly, coolant expansion tank fastener is missing from my coolant expansion tank. I am hoping that this little screw-like thing merely worked it's way loose and then the expansion tank started moving around, leading to a loosening of the coolant hose and loss of coolant.

Either that or it's the engine thermostat housing.

Anything but a cracked engine block or head gasket at 66K miles!

Okay, I've decided just to add the Pentosin. So, I filled up the near-empty reserve tank with Pentosin. I'm waiting until tomorrow to start the car. I'll check the reserve tank before starting the car, and if it's not nearly full, then there is a leak in/around the reserve tank.

Thanks for your offer, CarlB!

I plan to purchase and extra bottle of MINI antifreeze/coolant tomorrow to take home so that I can help someone who is in this situation in the future. I'll leave my name and contact info with the bloody sales staff at Passport, so they can pass it along to any poor SOB that calls them in desperation like I did today!

Hello all!

It was the engine thermostat housing. Passport MINI replaced it today at a cost of approximately $530.

My advisor agreed that the Pentosin was not a bad purchase. Not as good as the MINI coolant, but better than other options.

I purchased an extra bottle of MINI coolant/antifreeze. So, if anyone else is in a bind and needs some, hit me up at charlesmichaelfulton { at } me { dot } com!

Should I purchase another bottle and leave it with the damn salespeople at Passport?

Hello all!

It was the engine thermostat housing. Passport MINI replaced it today at a cost of approximately $530.

My advisor agreed that the Pentosin was not a bad purchase. Not as good as the MINI coolant, but better than other options.

I purchased an extra bottle of MINI coolant/antifreeze. So, if anyone else is in a bind and needs some, hit me up at charlesmichaelfulton { at } me { dot } com!

Should I purchase another bottle and leave it with the damn salespeople at Passport?

Ouch $530! This part seems to be common problem

http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues/225667-roll-call-have-you-replaced-your-thermostat-housing.html

but at least it's fixed!

image.php?u=1185&type=sigpic&dateline=13

I always prepare myself to have to spend $1,000 when I take my MINI into the dealer for an unknown issue. According to that NAM thread, lots of people were getting dealer quotes at $650 for the work. All in all, I find that Passport has reasonable rates compared to other dealer prices as reported on NAM.

That is a common problem, Tyler. Mine just gave me trouble about three weeks ago. Conveniently, two months after my water pump piddled in the parking lot.

Ps you can use any coolant as long as it's 50/50 mix. When I was stranded with a leaking water pump, that's what I was told.