Goose

Fuel Pump Done at 40k

Has anyone else had this issue? With only 40k on the clock I wouldn't expect to basically inherit a car with a bad pump. Luckily I have an extra year of warranty. Makes me nervous though...

Grey Goose: 2016 F56 Moonwalk Grey JCW - TTFS/GTPeace Custom Stage 1 (Present)
Shadow: 2011 R56 HT MB/MB - MANIC Stage 1 (Past)

Mine went at about 44K while I was @ MOTD. :banghead:

R50 04 PS MCa - Sold

R53 05 PS MCSa - Sold

R56 12 LiB/B MCSm Born 10/13/11 Bought 10/31/11 Home 11/5/11. CW, TP, SP, Sunroof, Xenon w/B Housings, AnthraciteHeadliner, Tint, JCW CF door handles, JCW CF Spoiler, JCW STB, DDM Street CAI, Stubby, Black grill, Black R98, JB+

Mine went at about 44K while I was @ MOTD. :banghead:

Interesting. Apparently you weren't the only one who lost a fuel pump at the dragon. Hopefully you were able to get it replaced on the fly.

I have to say I was a bit surprised to see it go so quickly but I guess I'm not the only one. :stupid:

Right I heard I was one of 6 people who lost theirs at MOTD.

R50 04 PS MCa - Sold

R53 05 PS MCSa - Sold

R56 12 LiB/B MCSm Born 10/13/11 Bought 10/31/11 Home 11/5/11. CW, TP, SP, Sunroof, Xenon w/B Housings, AnthraciteHeadliner, Tint, JCW CF door handles, JCW CF Spoiler, JCW STB, DDM Street CAI, Stubby, Black grill, Black R98, JB+

Right I heard I was one of 6 people who lost theirs at MOTD.

Wow...incredible. Guess I'll start saving up around 70K miles or so haha.

It's a $250 part and some experience to install it.

R50 04 PS MCa - Sold

R53 05 PS MCSa - Sold

It's a $250 part and some experience to install it.

That's good to know...I appreciate the info. :top:

Has anyone else had this issue? With only 40k on the clock I wouldn't expect to basically inherit a car with a bad pump. Luckily I have an extra year of warranty. Makes me nervous though...

It's not a mileage or age issue so much. The High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) on the 2nd Gen is a known issue and it's got either a recall or a technical service bulletin out on it. They have failed at much, much lower mileages than 40k. It would probably be worth asking your service advisor what the MINI USA policy is on them since they are on the list of things to look out for.

Odd to have had so many fail at MOTD but I guess anytime you get hundreds of the same cars in one place, it could easily happen.

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

It's not a mileage or age issue so much. The High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) on the 2nd Gen is a known issue and it's got either a recall or a technical service bulletin out on it. They have failed at much, much lower mileages than 40k. It would probably be worth asking your service advisor what the MINI USA policy is on them since they are on the list of things to look out for.

Odd to have had so many fail at MOTD but I guess anytime you get hundreds of the same cars in one place, it could easily happen.

Hmmm...interesting this wasn't brought up during my service and, of course, I didn't know to ask. I was told "hey, it's a mechanical part, it's working all the time". I knew that was a bunch of baloney but it's was covered under warranty. I'll ask someone else next time I go. Thanks for the heads up.

I'm at 71k on an early R56 (07!) and haven't had issues. I know one of our friends in C3M, Mark, had to take an emergency trip to MINI of Knoxville at the Dragon. Does it seem to be more common in later second gens?

I'm editing my initial post - two links below and they kind of point to the same place. What I found interesting is the comment that the factory warranty on the HPFP has been extended to 10yrs/120,000 miles for 07-09's. I would say 07-09 owners should get familiar with the symptoms and get it done sooner rather than later. I know when Marty started having problems with Rita, it turned out to be the HPFP but the symptoms weren't anything that you'd really associate with it.

Water Pump Recall

Fuel Pump information

Edited by cmcveay

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

Happens to everybody. My current '97 Miata's oil pump went at 38000, well past warranty time-wise. Replacement at dealer would have cost only slightly less than local Miata mech installing new crate engine. I went with the latter, along with a light flywheel. And a real oil pressure gauge.

'06 Outback had leaky rear diff at only 1500 miles, dealer replaced diff under warranty. '03 Tacoma, throwout bearing at 49800, just inside extended warranty.

The first '97 Miata had thrust bearing failure at 100000. Yeah, 100k, but just shows that there is no such thing as a bulletproof car.

quirk - '12 CR MCS 6m, WP, MR, HK. Conti DWS, Kosei K4R, Hardened NM TA insert, NM strut bar, Rennline skidplate, WMW heat shield, Philips X-treme, OEM Lumbars, mudflaps & black trim, free camber mod, WeatherTech mats, RearGuard...

I'm editing my initial post - two links below and they kind of point to the same place. What I found interesting is the comment that the factory warranty on the HPFP has been extended to 10yrs/120,000 miles for 07-09's. I would say 07-09 owners should get familiar with the symptoms and get it done sooner rather than later. I know when Marty started having problems with Rita, it turned out to be the HPFP but the symptoms weren't anything that you'd really associate with it.

Water Pump Recall

Fuel Pump information

+1

2009 MCS, HzB/B, CWP, PP, "BLUR" MOTORING ID: SOAR143 - MINI Community Service

2013 JCW GP, Thunder Grey, "SMOKIE" MOTORING ID: FAST060

2014 MCS Clubman, Highclass Gray, "THE ADMIRAL" 

Happens to everybody. My current '97 Miata's oil pump went at 38000, well past warranty time-wise. Replacement at dealer would have cost only slightly less than local Miata mech installing new crate engine. I went with the latter, along with a light flywheel. And a real oil pressure gauge.

'06 Outback had leaky rear diff at only 1500 miles, dealer replaced diff under warranty. '03 Tacoma, throwout bearing at 49800, just inside extended warranty.

The first '97 Miata had thrust bearing failure at 100000. Yeah, 100k, but just shows that there is no such thing as a bulletproof car.

Hunh...Edgewater. I was just out your way yesterday. I agree there is no such thing as a bulletproof car. I think it was mainly the fact that I, personally, had just taken ownership of the car (it's used), had it inspected, blah, blah, blah....and a month later...bad fuel pump.

But I know what you mean. Every car is likely to have SOMETHING that is "weak" parts wise and bound to fail. That's just the name of the game. Can't complain too much. I had an extra year of warranty :rock: