Chico1992

Grease Junkie In Need of Fix!

Hello all.

Heres the scoop:

Im a third year student at Howard Univ. and because I baby my MINI so much i leave it at home in North Carolina, only to return to it in between semesters. :bang head:

I have a heavily moded 2003 r53 S of which I have done all the work on. I have extensive knowledge of MINIs and I do all types of maintenance and mods: any and everything from oil changes to clutch replacement and more.

IF anyone needs an extra pair of hands on a DiY project or a think tank for any MINI mods contact me! If you have the tools then we can do it!

Im having grease withdrawals and I need a fix! I want to mod a MINI!

thanks!:motor:

Correction...I'm into taking apart my mini for shits and grins and curiosity. I don't think anyone would consider anything I've done to my mini a 'mod' in the traditional sense of the word lol

But OP, I saw this thread earlier tonight and was thinking about PMing you. I'm on the fence about a suspension upgrade (coilover and rear sway bar install) and you said you installed a rear sway bar in a parking lot...I'm sure you'd be able to help me in my driveway lol.

However...operative phrase being "I'm on the fence". Not sure if I want to dump any money in this thing...I have to keep reminding myself that this is my commuter car only. I really need to stay off NAM...

But good to know you're an option!! I'm all for paying forum members over the local garage

2009 MCS - Passenger seat delete--Rear seat delete--Arm rest delete--Cup holder delete--Seat Belt Delete--Cup holder added back because coffee

Correction...I'm into taking apart my mini for shits and grins and curiosity. I don't think anyone would consider anything I've done to my mini a 'mod' in the traditional sense of the word lol

But OP, I saw this thread earlier tonight and was thinking about PMing you. I'm on the fence about a suspension upgrade (coilover and rear sway bar install) and you said you installed a rear sway bar in a parking lot...I'm sure you'd be able to help me in my driveway lol.

However...operative phrase being "I'm on the fence". Not sure if I want to dump any money in this thing...I have to keep reminding myself that this is my commuter car only. I really need to stay off NAM...

But good to know you're an option!! I'm all for paying forum members over the local garage

hahahah NAM is definitely a slippery slope.

Since this is your commuter car I would stay away from coilovers. I just replaced the struts on my car and didn't even think about putting coilovers on. Many people will claim "its a better ride." that is a simple justification for the 1k or more they spent on the coils. What coilover owners don't tell you is that if the wheels aren't aligned correctly, premature tire wear is inevitable. Living in MD and DC the risk of hitting a table top and knocking the toe end off is too great a risk IMO. save that money.

HOWEVER, the 22mm adjustable sway bar is probably the best bang for the buck mod you can do on the MINI period. Understeering is an issue with the MINIs especially if you a more "spirited" driver. don't go anything less or more than 22mm. just make sure its adjustable. at 200 bucks Alta makes the ideal one. I think that this mod makes the car safer, under heavy breaking in crazy DC or MD traffic you might need to make a quick move and you turn the wheel and the mini says otherwise and goes straight. This mod eliminates that understeer so the car does what you want, better and confident steering response.

Id be happy to help just let me know.

Chico, it's not a MINI, but if you're in need of a car fix... my dad (also a DCMM member) and my brother are restoring a 1963 Studebaker GT Hawk in time for my brother's wedding at the end of May.

They've been documenting the process here. http://www.ourstudebaker.com/

The good ole STUD BUSTER! Haha

Looks like and awesome project on a very strict timeline!

Id be happy to help.

I just don't want step on any toes far as the father-son build.

hahahah NAM is definitely a slippery slope.

Since this is your commuter car I would stay away from coilovers. I just replaced the struts on my car and didn't even think about putting coilovers on. Many people will claim "its a better ride." that is a simple justification for the 1k or more they spent on the coils. What coilover owners don't tell you is that if the wheels aren't aligned correctly, premature tire wear is inevitable. Living in MD and DC the risk of hitting a table top and knocking the toe end off is too great a risk IMO. save that money.

HOWEVER, the 22mm adjustable sway bar is probably the best bang for the buck mod you can do on the MINI period. Understeering is an issue with the MINIs especially if you a more "spirited" driver. don't go anything less or more than 22mm. just make sure its adjustable. at 200 bucks Alta makes the ideal one. I think that this mod makes the car safer, under heavy breaking in crazy DC or MD traffic you might need to make a quick move and you turn the wheel and the mini says otherwise and goes straight. This mod eliminates that understeer so the car does what you want, better and confident steering response.

Id be happy to help just let me know.

awesome, appreciate the response, I think I'll be contacting you shortly about that rsb.

hey...you don't know how to rejet a motorcycle's carbs do you?

2009 MCS - Passenger seat delete--Rear seat delete--Arm rest delete--Cup holder delete--Seat Belt Delete--Cup holder added back because coffee

awesome, appreciate the response, I think I'll be contacting you shortly about that rsb.

hey...you don't know how to rejet a motorcycle's carbs do you?

Yes, I do actually...

what kind of bike do you have?

Do you have spare jets?

Edited by Chico1992

Yes, I do actually...

what kind of bike do you have?

Do you have spare jets?

perfect! It's a 07 Vstar 1100. I'm upgrading to a pod air kit and it'll come with the jet kit. Shoot, I'll order it tonight then and PM you when it's here to set something up.

perfect! It's a 07 Vstar 1100. I'm upgrading to a pod air kit and it'll come with the jet kit. Shoot, I'll order it tonight then and PM you when it's here to set something up.

year that pod is going to run you a little lean.

We will throw the bigger jets on and adjust the shim on the needle.

I will walk you through it as we put it on cause you will most likely need to do it again when the weather breaks (right now the bike is probably naturally running leaner than usual because of cold weather so when the weather breaks and air thins you don't want to be running too rich).