carman63

Skyline Drive?

Are there any upcoming Skyline drives in the works? My fiance and I have gone over at least twice a year with other cars/groups.

I searched here and at NAM and couldn't find anything in the past year or so, which seems to be odd considering the proximity to Skyline Drive from DC :confused:

Thanks for any comments / ideas / thoughts!

I have the Annual Park Pass; and have been known to make random trips down there quite frequently. I've also been surprised that Skyline Drive hasn't been mentioned before, at least that i've been aware of.

'03 JB MCS- SOLD: JCW front bumper, intake, exhaust, brakes, CF dash, 15% pulley, Multifunction Steering Wheel retrofit, Euro white taillights, Factory Driving Lights, Wyvern Motorsports Rear Seat Delete, and more....

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Are there any upcoming Skyline drives in the works? My fiance and I have gone over at least twice a year with other cars/groups.

We haven't done one since I have been around. However, some folks have taken part in this annual event put on by Tar Heel MINI Motoring Club:

http://www.blueridgeparkwaytour.org/

It looks like a really fun tour.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I love Skyline drive and it's very scenic, but it's not really a "motoring" road. The 35mph speed limit is a waste of some good curves!

2003 Electric Blue/White MCS with 15% Helix pully, Helix Rear Anti-sway Bars, Texas Racing Adjustable Read Control Arms, Helix Cold Air Intake

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I love Skyline drive and it's very scenic, but it's not really a "motoring" road. The 35mph speed limit is a waste of some good curves!

35 into some of those curves, though, is really enjoyable ;)

And 211 has some fun curves as well. I've done the drive in RWD and FWD cars, and both taught me a bit about handling curves. It's no Tail of the Dragon, but it's closer to home :)

I'm planning a fall tour, just haven't posted since it's a little early. Also got a luray caverns trip in the works. If your got any ideas or suggestions just pm me anytime.

Jason

2009 MINI Clubman Factory JCW CR/B

Helix BOV, DDM CAI, Helix STS, 35% tint, Black R113 wheels, eibach pro kit, 8000K 55w HID's.

2006 MINI Cooper S PS/B 176 fwhp/ 165 fwtq SOLD

2004 Pontiac GTO BLK 389 rwhp / 454 rwtq SOLD

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I go once a year from Front Royal to Waynesboro and I do it during the

week. If you try a group run on a weekend there is just too much traf-

fic for it to be fun, tour buses and minivans don't equate to spirited

driving. However during the week!:motor:

I think one of the DCMMers did this last year.

Yeah, I did 2 of 3 days of the trip last year and the whole thing this year (plus the dragon on the way down to the starting point). I also joined the Great Ice Cream Run that was heading north starting right after the BRP Tour. I tagged along as they drove Skyline drive up to hagerstown before breaking off and heading home. My pictures (and one video) from the events are on my flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/trout/

The speed limit on skyline drive is a bit slow, but there were a few nice corners and the scenery is great. It would make a great beginner run for those who like a slower pace. Traffic was light, but we were going through from 9am to noon on a Monday, so that's not a huge surprise.

The blue ridge parkway is 45 mph, but has a lot of really nice corners. Our pace was a bit quicker than posted and made for some very fun corners. Not a lot of back and forth twists like the dragon, but the long sweepers that pin you to your door for a couple of seconds. The great part is that it is like that the whole 469 miles.

The turnout for the Tar Heel tour was about double last year. We averaged about 40 cars with a max of about 45 at one point. They are starting to plan another one next year. If they follow the pattern, next year would be starting in waynesboro, so it would be a bit easier to get a full crew down from the DC area to the start.

And now back to unpacking and cleaning bugs off my car.

35 into some of those curves, though, is really enjoyable ;)

And 211 has some fun curves as well. I've done the drive in RWD and FWD cars, and both taught me a bit about handling curves. It's no Tail of the Dragon, but it's closer to home :)

Where exactly is the Dragon?