Gigi

Slipping Transmission

I need a second opinion.

The patient: 2009 R56 Automatic 102K miles.

The ailment: Transmission is slipping between 2nd and 3rd from time to time; not so obvious when in sport mode.

The quick exam: Tech found transmission oil in the wiring plug; said fluid was a color he had never seen before.

The diagnosis: Transmission oil has infiltrated wiring harness probably due to age.

The proposed fix: Replace the 2 wiring harnesses in the transmission.

First of all, does this sound reasonable? Why would the fluid be discolored?

If this is due to age, is it a common complaint for everyone with a 3+ year old transmission?

I need a second opinion.

The patient: 2009 R56 Automatic 102K miles.

The ailment: Transmission is slipping between 2nd and 3rd from time to time; not so obvious when in sport mode.

The quick exam: Tech found transmission oil in the wiring plug; said fluid was a color he had never seen before.

The diagnosis: Transmission oil has infiltrated wiring harness probably due to age.

The proposed fix: Replace the 2 wiring harnesses in the transmission.

First of all, does this sound reasonable? Why would the fluid be discolored?

If this is due to age, is it a common complaint for everyone with a 3+ year old transmission?

Hey GiGi, sorry to hear you are having problems like that. The transmission fluid in the MINI is considered "lifetime" which is kind of hard to believe because it does take a beating. 3+ with over 100k on any other car would have meant at least one oil/filter change.

Not having an auto, I can't really say but if the tech did diagnostics and indicates that the oiled wiring harness is the problem, I'd say that it needs to be either very, very thoroughly cleaned or replaced. But, that doesn't fix the root cause - the leak. That needs to be fixed as well and that's usually where the real expense starts to come into the picture.

As far as the color, if the tech is only looking at the color that's leaked out of the transmission, it's deceptive as there's no way of knowing how long it's been there and what may have contaminated it to give it an odd color. I think there's a plug that can be pulled and they can check the fluid for color/odor inside the transmission.

Please let us know what comes out of this and I hope we can get some good advice to you.

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold