TATTRAT

Shifter Knob Help

In keeping with my hearts love for the Polynesian culture, and Li'Ili'I Ka'a, I have found a shift knob that I would LOVE to get, but need some help.

Recently got a MEGAN Short Shifter(thanks, Mike), and figure if it is knob-less, why not a customized piece of kit on.

This is the one I would like, it's a Moai(most of the Tiki ones I have found, I'm just not feeling):

http://www.hotrodshiftknob.com/servlet/-strse-612/easter-island%2Cbrezel%2Ctiki%2Cblack-tiki%2Ctiki-shift/Detail

BUT. . . with the stock MINI shift Knob being thread-less, and just a press fit. . . the new short shift having threads, , but unknown size, I am at a loss.

I have looked at the MEGAN site, and all over, can't find the thread size for the short shift kit, and do I need to even worry about it if there is a press fit option, BUT THEN, there is no mention of that on the site to purchase the Knob. . .OR anywhere for the Megan MINI shift kit.

Anyone following what I am asking/getting at? I guess, I need to know if anyone knows the thread size, or, do I even need to worry about it? Anyone have any experience with this?

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!!

WASABIFINAL.jpg.7de341e2df68d8efd5c1485317941c11.jpg

flickr

I had a similar issue with my M7 Carbon Fiber knob. It has no threads but is held in with a small screw by tension. Well this didn't work at all and it was spinning all the time. IT MADE ME CRAZY

I brought Tigger to Uncle Craig (who might have just wanted the whining to stop) who fashioned a shim out of a beer can that applied enough pressure inside to hold it on. I bet he can figure something out for you too. Since he fixed it, it's been solid :top:

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

I called and talked with Debbie, the wife of the owner, and she couldn't have been more helpful!

She is sending out a few inserts, a few "adapters" and also a non- threaded thread reducer kit and we are going to take it from there.

The only thing she charged me for is the Shift knob, and the Non threaded adapter, she even waived S&H!! said I should have it by the weekend, so we'll see what happens!

Great customer service, will update once I see how things go together.

BTW, Her son is a MINIac with a 2003 R53, when asked about my MINI, and told of my little hints to Hawaii/Polynesian Culture, agreed that this knob would be great! I am stoked.

WASABIFINAL.jpg.7de341e2df68d8efd5c1485317941c11.jpg

flickr

That's a cool shift knob!

Yeah, our shift knobs aren't threaded on, they are a press-fit. There's a groove in the top of the shifter that keeps the shift knob facing the right direction. Be careful when removing the OEM knob, you can hurt yourself or bust your sunroof or knock a hole in the top of a cabrio.

Just to keep the record straight, I used part of a Fresca can since Lona won't drink beer from a can and I don't drink beer at all. Otherwise, yes, we can figure out what it'll take to make it fit.

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold