Although I'm no longer playing chauffeur to the horde (translation: four kids) and hauling all of their volleyball, basketball, football, gymnastics, etc gear, I still personally have gear: snowboarding, biking, hiking, running, etc. And to fit their gear in with mine I had roof rails and a tow hitch on my Outback.

I don't care for MINI Fini's sport-link http://www.minifini.com/ShopDetail.aspx?id=19 as the accessories are proprietary and I already have a couple of things to go into a standard hitch. The only one I found was this http://www.minidomore.com/pdf/2008%20Mini%20Cooper%20Clubman%20and%20Clubman%20S%20Trailer%20Hitch%20Installation%20Instructions.pdf which requires drilling a hole in my baby! AGAIN, I'm temporarily wimpy in the area of me putting new holes in my buggy. I'd DIY the heck out of my Outback, but I bought it to be a workhorse and do anything I thought it could do (which excluding zooming).

Do any of you have a tow hitch and did you DIY or pay a mech to install it for you?

image.php?u=1046&type=sigpic&dateline=13

I don't think you can improve on the MINI Do More system if you are opposed to the Mini Fini.

The Do More appears to be exactly what I'm looking for. It's just that every other hitch I've DIY installed was simply bolted to the from from underneath (have torque wrench, will travel). What appears to be required here is removing the rear bumper and drilling through the spot where the license plate is located. Noticeably more involved than my previous vehicles.

True - and I too have a Subaru Outback with a hitch that I installed myself - but the MINI is simply too tightly packaged. Anyways, when not in use the license plate covers the hole.

JAB 67

Fairfax, VA

2004 MCS, PW/B

True - and I too have a Subaru Outback with a hitch that I installed myself - but the MINI is simply too tightly packaged. Anyways, when not in use the license plate covers the hole.

Actually I have a couple of hitch covers that I want to keep using to go in there when I've got my other accessories not occupying the space. One DIY instructions I saw had the rear plate spring-loaded so it would simply end up laying on top of my hitch cover.