I'm terribly surprised at the...basicness of them. The four rubber/foam things are pretty much identical to the ones in my previous car, an '02 Subaru Outback. So I know from experience that they're not the best in dealing with a wide range of sized cups, and in a short while those tabs will bend and break off. Also (for me) when I put my Venti-size Sbux in there it blocks the driver's side window switch, so in going through the drive-thru I have to put my window up before I can put my coffee down, and pull my cup out to roll the window up/down (bumped my head on this issue on day-one of having my new buggy)

In searching I found this item http://www.minifini.com/ShopDetail.aspx?id=44 but with a baby barely 2-weeks old I'm admittedly hesitant to drilling holes in her, especially if I end up not liking the cup holder and want to remove it. Anybody have this cup holder? Any opinion/feedback about it? I wish their picture was of the driver's side mount. You don't buy a MINI for the convenience of others, so why show the cup holder for the passenger side?

However, speaking of the convenience of others, I find the rear cup holders...problematic. I keep bottles of water in my car. With my Outback I'd throw a case in the cargo area and keep a couple of bottles under the seat (well, they'd roll under there :)) There isn't space under my seat like before, so to keep the bottles from rolling all over the floor I put them in the rear cup holders...and on the first turn they flopped out.

The rear cup holders aren't deep enough nor have any sizing options, it's just a big shallow cavity. If one of my kids did put a drink in there it's be all over their feet/shoes before we got off the block.

Such a simple item but one that gets daily use with me. So, is there any other options aside from the front-seat bolt-ons linked above?

image.php?u=1046&type=sigpic&dateline=13

Check with Ali (Tggrrr sp?). Her husband had one of the MINI FINI cup holders installed at the Dragon and I'm waiting on his personal feedback to decide on this myself. They appear to be capable of handling a wider range of cup/bottle sizes. My wife is tired of playing "tug of war" with the car to get her coffee cup back.

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

Mark had it installed at the Dragon. He said they drilled one hole to install it. He's happy with it. He only did one cup holder and said that's enough for him.

For my first gen, no drilling was needed it clamps on and I now have 2 huge cup holders on the same down tube. With one on top of the other it works well and I can put all kinds of crap in there if I don't have two drinks in the car. The new cup holder held my walkie talkie and sun glasses all the way home from the Dragon.

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

Mark had it installed at the Dragon. He said they drilled one hole to install it. He's happy with it. He only did one cup holder and said that's enough for him.

For my first gen, no drilling was needed it clamps on and I now have 2 huge cup holders on the same down tube. With one on top of the other it works well and I can put all kinds of crap in there if I don't have two drinks in the car. The new cup holder held my walkie talkie and sun glasses all the way home from the Dragon.

Mark?!?

Yeah, Ali manajed to hijack the thread to talk about her 1st Gen cup holders which are an apples vs. oranges comparison to us 2nd Gen peeps.

My two questions/concerns about the MINI FINI cup holders are whether or not they flop around (the 1st Gen cup holders can change radio stations and other things of that nature when they wear and loosen up on the mounts) and the other is what size cups do they hold and how well they work.

I'm waiting to get feedback from Ali's Husband Mark as he does have one of the MINI FINI mounts in his car now and I trust and believe in his feedback. After having held one of them in my hands last week, the construction and appearance looks really good so now, it's just how it works in the real world.

For 2nd Gen's, that's not the issue like it is in 1st Gens because the radio/AC controls are higher and the cup holders are lower. Apples and Oranges.

The issue many of us face is that the size of the cup holder simply won't let you put some containers in them and others will fit but it's a wrestling match to get them back out. Lona refers to it as playing tug-of-war with the car but that's typically only with things like the larger water bottles, Arizona iced tea bottles/cans and things like that. Lona's travel mug is also one of those "problem children" an I wince everytime it's in the car as I can imagine the results of the contents flying across the interior of the car as it's pulled out with too much force. For the vast majority of containers, they work just fine.

It looked like the MINI FINI cup holders had a diameter that was larger so it would allow them to hold larger containers with less tension.

I'll ping Mark to get his perspective once he's had a chance to try it out for a week or two.

I'm hoping to meet Mark on Sat and chat with him about his newly installed cup holder. But in the meantime I'm still looking at ways to overcome the minor inconveinces of my new buggy. While searching I came across this: http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-19957496485790_2211_26336754.jpg My question is about the cup holder cover/cap on the left side one. Obviously this is a 1st gen(?), but I'm wondering if those caps are functional, making the cup holder into a big pill bottle? And if so, will that cap fit my 2nd gen MINI. If I'm getting the MINI Fini cup holder I'd got to make use of the existing ones somehow. TIA.

P.S. - and on the cup holders themselves, I found this guys mod:

http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/2970181-post5.html

http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/91220/ppuser/20272

EDIT: Mystery solved. IT'S A COOKBOOK! :eek:http://new.minimania.com/web/Item/G2NMI1400/InvDetail.cfm

Edited by LostDenverite

I'm hoping to meet Mark on Sat and chat with him about his newly installed cup holder. But in the meantime I'm still looking at ways to overcome the minor inconveinces of my new buggy. While searching I came across this: http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-19957496485790_2211_26336754.jpg My question is about the cup holder cover/cap on the left side one. Obviously this is a 1st gen(?), but I'm wondering if those caps are functional, making the cup holder into a big pill bottle? And if so, will that cap fit my 2nd gen MINI. If I'm getting the MINI Fini cup holder I'd got to make use of the existing ones somehow. TIA.

http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/91220/ppuser/20272

EDIT: Mystery solved. IT'S A COOKBOOK! :eek:http://new.minimania.com/web/Item/NMI7640/InvDetail.cfm

Mark does like his cup holder, but he bought it very late in the week and all they had left were a few from a bad misshaped batch. They are sending him a new one and gave him an odd one to use until then. So he said although it's nice, it's wobbly and off and he's waiting for the proper one to say for sure.

Tggrrr010.jpg

Will, I like this design with the pvc. This is one of the best DIY cup holders that I have seen. I'm going to take some measurements and stop at HD tomorrow to see if they have any stubby end-cuts. Have this guy posted any specs. anywhere, I don't see them on his gallery.

Thanks for sharing.

B&E

image.php?u=1000&type=sigpic&dateline=13

Ernie McStreet's facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/erniemcs.street

Will, I like this design with the pvc. This is one of the best DIY cup holders that I have seen. I'm going to take some measurements and stop at HD tomorrow to see if they have any stubby end-cuts. Have this guy posted any specs. anywhere, I don't see them on his gallery.

Thanks for sharing.

B&E

Yeah, I really liked the PVC version too, especially as it allows you to still use the original holder for something else (i.e., my sidekick in my avatar :)) There weren't any additional info in the full thread but I did PM him to see if he may have done something and not posted it. If he didn't, I'm hoping I can pluck his brain for some details, e.g., what did he use to connect the two pieces). I'll post whatever he replies with.

I went to HD on the way to work this morning and picked through the pvc parts and connectors. PVC pipe comes in 1-1/2", 2", 3" and 4" sizes and I wasn't happy with the 2" and 3" pipes with ODs (outside diameters) of 2-3/8" and 3-1/2" respectively. I was trying to find something with an OD around 3" and an ID (internal diameter) of around 2-1/4". THEN I found a 3" extended toilet flange ($10.67, I will provide pictures later). Once the drain screen top is cut off the 3" flange will fits nicely into the passenger cup holder and still gives you useful space in the middle (I like to keep a pump bottle of waterless hand cleaner there).

For the cup holder I have picked up a 3" DMV Soil Pipe Adapter ($3.89, tapered inside and appears to be the one in the picture) and a 3" PVC Cap for the bottom ($3.95). I have some scrap 3" and 4" PVC in my shop at home, for the cross pieces, and should be able to epoxy all this together, once I make the section cuts and smooth sanding. I wish I had my brother's bandsaw, that would make the cuts much easier.

I hope to have a mock-up before Saturday's Meet & Greet at Passport MINI Alexandria.

I went to HD on the way to work this morning and picked through the pvc parts and connectors. PVC pipe comes in 1-1/2", 2", 3" and 4" sizes and I wasn't happy with the 2" and 3" pipes with ODs (outside diameters) of 2-3/8" and 3-1/2" respectively. I was trying to find something with an OD around 3" and an ID (internal diameter) of around 2-1/4". THEN I found a 3" extended toilet flange ($10.67, I will provide pictures later). Once the drain screen top is cut off the 3" flange will fits nicely into the passenger cup holder and still gives you useful space in the middle (I like to keep a pump bottle of waterless hand cleaner there).

For the cup holder I have picked up a 3" DMV Soil Pipe Adapter ($3.89, tapered inside and appears to be the one in the picture) and a 3" PVC Cap for the bottom ($3.95). I have some scrap 3" and 4" PVC in my shop at home, for the cross pieces, and should be able to epoxy all this together, once I make the section cuts and smooth sanding. I wish I had my brother's bandsaw, that would make the cuts much easier.

I hope to have a mock-up before Saturday's Meet & Greet at Passport MINI Alexandria.

Sounds like a labor of love :laugh: Looking forward to the finished product and blueprints.

Check this one out, I don't know if you stumbled across this.

Supposedly, it was offered by mini-stuff.com through 2006, until they went out of business. It was aluminum and retailed for about $75+. Clean design though.

Anyone have access to a flow-jet? I'll supply the materials for the top and bottom plates.

Check this one out, I don't know if you stumbled across this.

Supposedly, it was offered by mini-stuff.com through 2006, until they went out of business. It was aluminum and retailed for about $75+. Clean design though.

Anyone have access to a flow-jet? I'll supply the materials for the top and bottom plates.

No, I didn't come across that. It is nice and clean looking.

What's a flow-jet? I deal with some industrial labs and might be able to put a feeler out for whatever this animal is.

I really hope that everyone finds the solution they are looking for. However, I'm of the strong opinion that drinking (or eating) in the car is simply bad, and I don't like to do it nor do I allow it for passengers, with the sole exception of drinks that have a screwtop lid.

Interesting fact... the day I took delivery of my MINI from the dealer (03/01/05), I brought a screwdriver with me. Why? Because I wanted the dangblasted ugly extra downtube-mounted cupholder gone from my MINI before I even drove it. I literally sat there in the service bay and took it off the car before I even drove off the lot!

Just a different viewpoint. :biggrin:

Happy cupholding! :top:

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

I really hope that everyone finds the solution they are looking for. However, I'm of the strong opinion that drinking (or eating) in the car is simply bad, and I don't like to do it nor do I allow it for passengers, with the sole exception of drinks that have a screwtop lid.

Interesting fact... the day I took delivery of my MINI from the dealer (03/01/05), I brought a screwdriver with me. Why? Because I wanted the dangblasted ugly extra downtube-mounted cupholder gone from my MINI before I even drove it. I literally sat there in the service bay and took it off the car before I even drove off the lot!

No kids, eh?

For the moment no food is allowed to be eaten in my buggy (I had a begl in the first week and waayyy too many crumbs were left to clean up). Outside of water, coffee is the only other thing allowed...for me. I've trepidation about letting anyone else, but it's hard to explain to a date why I can drink my Starbucks in the car and they can't. And I can't deny anybody water. Heck, you'd give a dog water on a hot day, why not a girl?

With that, that's why the mad search for an acceptable cup holder. I don't want anything spilled in my buggy, especially coffee, and having a fully functional cup holder is where I'm starting (because I'd be lying to say I would never drink my Sbux in there).

Honestly if you don't drink a lot of fluids while driving a cabrio, you'll dehydrate and could get sick. I know, I've done it. That wind can really suck the moisture out of you.

But I have always ate and drank in the car. This one it's actually important to keep drinking in.

Tggrrr010.jpg

No kids, eh?

For the moment no food is allowed to be eaten in my buggy (I had a begl in the first week and waayyy too many crumbs were left to clean up). Outside of water, coffee is the only other thing allowed...for me. I've trepidation about letting anyone else, but it's hard to explain to a date why I can drink my Starbucks in the car and they can't. And I can't deny anybody water. Heck, you'd give a dog water on a hot day, why not a girl?

With that, that's why the mad search for an acceptable cup holder. I don't want anything spilled in my buggy, especially coffee, and having a fully functional cup holder is where I'm starting (because I'd be lying to say I would never drink my Sbux in there).

I was going to say... just don't drink Starbucks in your car. What's more important to you - drinking your coffee on the go, or keeping your ride clean and unstained? Problem solved (with the date's coffee too). Drink at the Starbucks, then go!

And bottled water, with a screw top, is a fine solution for those who want water. :biggrin:

Honestly if you don't drink a lot of fluids while driving a cabrio, you'll dehydrate and could get sick. I know, I've done it. That wind can really suck the moisture out of you.

But I have always ate and drank in the car. This one it's actually important to keep drinking in.

Again, screw-top bottled drinks can solve that. :top:

In any case, I realize I'm in the minority here and not helping the conversation, so I'll butt out now. I just couldn't resist chiming in. :angel:

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129