TGGRRR (Ali)

Aftermarket radio adapter for second gens

I'll have to check this video link from home. As far as the 1st Gen's, it's just about like any other car on the road. A single DIN mount and some basic installation skills. Crutchfield even makes an adapter for the wiring!

Not so easy on the 2nd Gen and if you have Connected, you basically have to have the two radio systems installed and running at the same time.

I don't think the audio (I have the HK option now) is bad at all but then again, I don't drive around sharing my music with everyone inside a 1/4 mile radius either.

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

I believe for the 2nd gen you have to keep the original radio, even if it's the basic one, to keep all other electronics/check systems working.

Also, I'm not sure if installing any touch screen/navi unit this low is useful.

For the first gen, you can pick up the wiring kit and DIN piece for about $10-$15 total. You'll also need a radio antenna adapter.

Finally, there's a little dealy that will make it so the steering wheel controls will work. . .probably cost $35-$40 at amazon, be careful which one you buy as the ones that work with the Gen 2 don't always work with the Gen 1. (Found that out the hard way.)

Alice Cooper - Hyper Blue R53 with a few light mods

???? - Montego Blue 335xi with even lighter mods

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Price - I think you are correct. If you pull the OEM head unit out, you lose all of the OBC functions and the car will probably start showing all kinds of errors mainly because the head unit isn't just for audio, it also displays all kinds of information.

I know Ali meant well but this would be a horribly, horribly expensive way to get satellite radio into a 2nd Gen if it wasn't OEM. Right now, you can buy the SAT Radio controller and have it installed for less than $500 and anyone that's doing coding on the cars can program the car to recognize. There's also the option that I took with Archi - add an aftermarket Sirius/XM device, used the OEM antenna and run it into the aux port.

Oh, why the heck would you want to give up your A/C controls too! Seems like someone created a product that not many people would really want. There is a guy that will be at the dragon "Schotzy" is his name on NAM and he's got about 3k tied up in the audio system in his R55. The head unit is actually in the secret compartment! To each his/her own but no car is a music studio and I'd rather hear the sounds of the car.

I know Ali meant well but this would be a horribly, horribly expensive way to get satellite radio into a 2nd Gen if it wasn't OEM. Right now, you can buy the SAT Radio controller and have it installed for less than $500 and anyone that's doing coding on the cars can program the car to recognize. There's also the option that I took with Archi - add an aftermarket Sirius/XM device, used the OEM antenna and run it into the aux port.

I thought that the SAT cost a lot more then that. One of these days I'm just going to buy it for Max, the set up he has now is really annoying. When I'm a passenger, if I bump it wrong with my knee he loses the connection and it starts making weird sounds.

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

The least expensive alternative? Don't bump it and keep your knees to yourself....

If I remember correctly, the RCVR was about $500. It's a 20 minute install with basic hand tools and then 15 minutes on the laptop to code it into the car.

That beats the hell out of buying a new double DIN head unit ($200-$300) and I can't even imagine what it would cost to have all of that installed. Just pulling the head unit out of the 2nd Gen takes 3-4 hours at $50-$60 per hour. I could see this costing $1,000 or more for a marginal improvement in sound quality. To improve the sound, I can program out the 100hz cutoff to the rear and then, replace the rear speakers with some quality units (about 2 hours work) and it makes a HUGE difference.