Wizzer

OBD2 Tool

Hey all,

Just picked up a nifty new toy, ordered off amazon.

Mostly bought it because I started using the Android App aLapRecorder to take data and such when I am out on a drive. I ordered the GoPro Hero2 Motorsport edition and decided to grab this while I was surfing. It was only 20$ and so far it works great with my Android Phone. I downloaded the Torque App (Like suggested) and everything seems to be working. And it works with aLap as well. I will try and throw together some videos of what it pulls soon (still working out the kinks)

Anyone else used one?

Cons: Because of where the data port is, this kind of sticks down a bit lower than I would like, but I was only planning on using it for info during runs)

----------------------Amazon Info----------------------

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005NLQAHS/ref=oh_o03_s00_i00_details

BAFX Products - ELM 327 Bluetooth OBD2 scan tool - For check engine light and other diagnostics - Android compatible

41vRcfKJjKL._SS400_.jpg

• Works with all 1996 and newer cars & trucks that are OBD II compliant
  • Read diagnostic trouble codes, both generic and manufacturer-specific, and display their meaning (over 3000 generic code definitions in the database).
  • Clear trouble codes and turn off the MIL ("Check Engine" light), Compatible with Android phones
  • Menu system on CD makes installation easy with dedicated buttons for driver and program installation.
  • Wireless Bluetooth connection to your computer. No More Wires!

Product Description

DO NOT BE FOOLED BY COMPETITORS! THIS SCAN TOOL WILL WORK ON ALL 1996 AND NEWER 0BD2 COMPLIANT VEHICLES! UNLIKE SOME OTHER VERSIONS! Bluetooth scan tool for easy and informative engine scanning! Retrieve trouble codes, reset engine light and read MANY statistics not available with other scanning tools! Connects to your laptop or Android pone with Torque app! (Fee applies for app) Works on all makes and models! Package includes (1) Bluetooth OBD2 adapter and (1) CD with basic scan software - (full versions of software purchased anywhere on-line) Vehicle Coverage Works on all OBD2 Vehicles (1996 onwards in USA) and EOBD vehicles ( Petrol cars from 2001 and diesel cars from 2003/2004 in Europe) CE Certified

Steve "Wizzer" P.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]2009 MINI Clubman S R55 "BATTPODD"

So after a day of use I am really fond of this tool.

Here are some findings

Only works with Android. This model seems to be android specific. It connects via BlueTooth but on a different freq. Nice thing is that I can still have my phone connected to the Stereo and get data from this at the same time, downside, it doesn't work wit my iPad.

Torque is a cool app. Lots of data to digest, need to learn more about what I want to display and log.

Using this with aLaprecorder and then merging with my GoPro using RaceRender seems to be the way to go. I need to go find a good place to run a few laps and get a good video made. Will upload wen I do.

Here is an example export CSV of what aLapRecorder pulls in: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6750858/aLap20120213_163215_RR2_20120213_182800.csv

Steve "Wizzer" P.

So here is a quick test lap I did around my block. This is using the GoPro for the Video, aLapRecorder (android App) to log the Data on the Lap, using GPS and the OBD tool. and then imported in to RaceRender2 to compile the data and to produce the final video.

P.S. Can someone embed that? Can't figure out how here

Edited by Edge
Converted YouTube link into embedded video

Steve "Wizzer" P.

P.S. Can someone embed that? Can't figure out how here
Done. :top:

Here's how it works:

1. Go to the actual YouTube link (not youtu.be or anything silly like that)

2. Copy and paste the video code. This is usually at or near the end of the link, after ?v= although you want to leave out anything after the code (e.g. your original link ended up with &feature=youtu.be on the end, after the code. Leave that stuff out - the & and everything after it).

3. Use the youtube.gif button and paste the video code in the middle

4. Done!

Note: Some videos on YouTube have embedding disabled. If that's the case, you'll have to post the link to it instead. Annoying but it happens.

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129