minime331

Sprint Booster

so i was looking at getting so upgrades for my mcs r53 and i came across this

here a link

http://www.outmotoring.com/mini-cooper/MINI_cooper_sprint_booster-chip-upgrade.html

it looks interesting does anyone know about this i looks like it connects to the accelerator peddle then to the cabble to the engine?

so what do you all think about it

STella- 14' Focus ST Roush CAI, Cobb access port stage1 tune, custom Ptuning 3" exhuast, Levels FMIC, Turbosmart BOV, rally armor mud flaps, more to come.

My opinion... it's a poor substitute for a proper ECU tune. The Sprint Booster doesn't actually increase the power of your engine... it remaps the throttle to make it more responsive, in much the same way as 2nd Gens with the Sport button.

Much of the same thing (although not exactly) can be achieved by pushing the gas pedal harder/further/faster. :smile:

Some people like it though... but a good ECU tune will have this effect anyway, and actually increase engine power.

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

I installed my Sprint Booster on my 03 R/53 MCS about a year ago. I was skepitcal at 1st. It took 5 minutes to install. You will feel the Immediate throttle response ! Off the line, Mid range RPM's, you can definitely tell the difference when you punch it. If your driving on the track at constant high RPM's, that is not what it's for.

It works well, I am glad I installed it on my car. The whole purpose of the Sprint Booster is so you don't have to push your pedal, harder/faster/further ! :biggrin: You just go faster/quicker !!

Even with a good ECU tune, there still is a slight lag in throttle response. The Sprint Booster gives you a more crisp throttle response, period ! My opinion.

Come by, I'll let you install mine on your car, you tell me ?

Geno

image.php?u=888&type=sigpic&dateline=136

I installed my Sprint Booster on my 03 R/53 MCS about a year ago. I was skepitcal at 1st. It took 5 minutes to install. You will feel the Immediate throttle response ! Off the line, Mid range RPM's, you can definitely tell the difference when you punch it. If your driving on the track at constant high RPM's, that is not what it's for.

It works well, I am glad I installed it on my car. The whole purpose of the Sprint Booster is so you don't have to push your pedal, harder/faster/further ! :biggrin: You just go faster/quicker !!

Even with a good ECU tune, there still is a slight lag in throttle response. The Sprint Booster gives you a more crisp throttle response, period ! My opinion.

Come by, I'll let you install mine on your car, you tell me ?

Geno

i might just take you up on that. :biggrin: so i can if its worth spending the money.

i might also do a good ecu tune + the sprint boost for double the fun :rofl:

STella- 14' Focus ST Roush CAI, Cobb access port stage1 tune, custom Ptuning 3" exhuast, Levels FMIC, Turbosmart BOV, rally armor mud flaps, more to come.

I suspect that depends on the quality of the ECU tune. :smile:

I'm glad you like it, because nothing feels worse than feeling like your money was wasted! I'm very happy with the responsiveness of the custom dyno tune I got from RMW Jan @ Mach V in 2010, so I'll be passing on this one.

There are a whole bunch of threads and discussions with differing opinions on NAM (here's one), and a good (13-page!) technical white paper analysis (here) - worth looking into for more perspective... but Geno's offer for a demo is generous and certainly worth a try.

My final take - if you want a simple mod that makes your throttle more responsive, is easy to add (and easy to remove), and don't mind spending over $300 on it... go for it. If however your ultimate goal is also more power, the money is better spent towards a good custom tune that can both improve throttle response and increase power. It really depends on what you want from the car.

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

I'll preface the following comment with an admission that I don't follow the "mail" on which tuners are working on the 1st Gens cars. I totally agree with Edge on the "bang for the buck" with a good ECU tune (custom on the dyno or "canned"), it just can't be beat. Having said that - when I had the RMW tune, I still had that slow throttle response before getting into buckets and buckets of power - with the sport button off. With the sport button on, it was an absolute BEAST! Later, Jan started changing the throttle mapping and I tested about a 1/2 dozen tunes for him.

I now have the Alta Access Port and what I really, really like about it is the variety of maps I can throw on the ECU. One gives me stock throttle mapping with more power and I drove around with that tune for about 7 minutes before I pulled over and grabbed the Access Port. The lag was such a PITA!

The other is like a "Sport button Lite" version that give me a more responsive throttle but it's not "twitchy" and then when I hit the sport button, it's very crisp and responsive.

The offer to test the sprint booster for free is an awesome opportunity!

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

yea i want to do a ecu tune. i just saw this and didn't know anything about.

about the alta access port thing how does that work?

I'll preface the following comment with an admission that I don't follow the "mail" on which tuners are working on the 1st Gens cars. I totally agree with Edge on the "bang for the buck" with a good ECU tune (custom on the dyno or "canned"), it just can't be beat. Having said that - when I had the RMW tune, I still had that slow throttle response before getting into buckets and buckets of power - with the sport button off. With the sport button on, it was an absolute BEAST! Later, Jan started changing the throttle mapping and I tested about a 1/2 dozen tunes for him.

I now have the Alta Access Port and what I really, really like about it is the variety of maps I can throw on the ECU. One gives me stock throttle mapping with more power and I drove around with that tune for about 7 minutes before I pulled over and grabbed the Access Port. The lag was such a PITA!

The other is like a "Sport button Lite" version that give me a more responsive throttle but it's not "twitchy" and then when I hit the sport button, it's very crisp and responsive.

The offer to test the sprint booster for free is an awesome opportunity!

I have heard a number of people talk about the bank for your buck value of a good ECU tune. As a matter of fact, Jan from RMW has my stock ECU file sitting in his inbox as we speak and should be working on getting me my first "canned" tune to get me started!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

yea i want to do a ecu tune. i just saw this and didn't know anything about.

about the alta access port thing how does that work?

Pretty darn easy... A small handheld device that connects to the OBD-II port and it talks to the "ECU". It'll make a copy of your ECU and then upload the tune that you select. There are three stages of tune with a couple of variations within each level based upon the mods that you have on the car. In a couple of weeks, I'll be putting my big intercooler and Cold Air Intake in Merlin and when I do that, I'll upload the Stage II FMIC tune. If I put a larger diameter exhaust and down pipe in, I'll step up to the Stage III tune. The tunes that come with the device will allow you to tune for 91 octane fuel and maybe even 89 but I'd have to check.

The Access Port will also act as a code reader so you can find out why you have a Check Engine Light. If you like, you can clear the codes and you can even do an ECU "reset" which makes it "forget" the things that it's learned over time. You can also do live monitoring of a bunch of engine operating parameters.

All in all, it's a very handy tool to have around and, if you get rid of your current MINI, you simply uninstall it and re-install it in the new car. I went from a2009 R56 MC/S to a 2012 R55 JCW and it just swapped right over, recognized the JCW ECU and uploaded the correct tune. Take about 5 minutes.

If you'd like to see it, remind me at our next event. I keep it in the car.

If you'd like to see it, remind me at our next event. I keep it in the car.

yea ill do that if you going to the photo shoot on feb 4 then i would like to take a look at it

I bought one for my car a while ago. It really does help and improve the throttle response. Where in Arlington do you live? We should meet! :itsme: More MINI friends wouldnt hurt lol

yea we should i live like right up the hill from shirlington

The Alta Access Port Tuner is a Great Idea but, it does not work with the R/53 models. They don't make one for the R/53's. Only 2007 Minis and newer.

Thanks, I was going to look that up.

There are still several tuning options for the 1st Gen crowd though.