cmcveay

Recreational Kayaking (Round 2)

Save the date!

The response was divided and I'm game for a "two-fer" on this kind of fun.

More details to follow but this will be the first of two recreational kayaking trips.

Unless there's an overwhelming request, there's no whitewater to speak of (okay, a couple of places where the water gurgles) and the kayaks are recreational "Sit on top" models where you aren't strapped in and you aren't attached to the kayak. IF you work really hard and fall over, you'll just be swimming - with a life vest on.

The plan is to take the 1/2 day trip which is a 3 1/2 - 4 hour float down the river, get driven back to the cars and head home.

It's fun and it's relaxing.

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

This sounds like a good time. I've never been kayacking before so I'm curious about a few things with this event. Is there any experience required for this trip? What are the rental costs involved and what is the location of the kayacking? I've always wanted to go kayacking and now this seems like a good excuse.

-Justin

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

D.B.'s Facebook Page - facebook.com/DBMiniCooper

Craig will have to validate my information, but a couple weeks ago he said he was going to go with the company BTI Whitewater (AKA Butt Tubes Inc) which is based out of Harpers Ferry, WV.

http://www.btiwhitewater.com/kayaking/

Recreational Kayaking! Enjoy a get-in-and-go hard boat kayaking experience on the scenic flatwater of the Potomac River. Each of our Old Town kayaks comes with a comfort flex adjustable, padded seat and cup holder that allows you to have a stable and comfortable ride.

Experience the freedom and independence of paddling at your own pace. BTI provides the boat, paddle, life vest, and shuttles to and from the river. The half day experience takes about 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours. Our kayaks are suitable for ages 12 and up. All kayakers must know how to swim.

Price is $35 for half day. $70 for full day.

Signature.JPG

Everyone is right! Basically, if you know how to swim (you'll be wearing a PFD as well) and you can sit upright and move a paddle (while keeping the front of the kayak pointed where you want to go), you can do this. The only "white water" on this trip is the water gurgling over the rocks, it's very laid back and relaxing.

Come one everyone, it's gonna be a scorcher this week so let's go hit the river and cool off for a while!

K, so my girlfriends just confirmed with me so that's at least 3 of us (4 if I bring the step-daughter). If I get more people, we'll have another car (non-MINI though). My group would be coming from Arlington area. Would you want to meet in Harper's Ferry or closer to home and ride together? What time are you thinking?

Signature.JPG

We are in Annandale so we could always meet up at the Wegmans in Sterling. It's not too far away from the road. Time? I'll have to do some calculating on that.

I just called BTI about reservations and here's the deal. They only have the 9 a.m. spot open for the recreational kayaking so that may turn some folks off as it's kind of early to get up and going. If I make reservations, I have to pay for everyone in full, up front and it's non-refundable. I don't mind doing that but I just don't want to have to eat the money if someone decides to roll over and hit the snooze alarm until noon.

If anyone/everyone who is interested can verify their RSVP by Thursday (by 7 p.m.), I'll call and make the reservation on Friday. Hopefully, it won't be sold out.

Edited by cmcveay