Yarsay

Who else loves driving in the snow?

Maybe a sore subject after snowpocalypse and snowmageddon last year but I love snow and love driving in snow even more - guess I'll chalk it up to my Maine roots.

I installed a set of Blizzak snow shoes on Monday and have been checking the weather hourly for chances of snow since (luckily it didn't take long). This is my first winter driving the MINI and I've been curious to see how it would tackle the weather.

Short story - I'm impressed! With a good set of rubber it doesn't seem to have much trouble with snow at all (though ground clearance will still be an issue). The top level of my work parking garage was left untouched all day so it had 2 inches of fresh snow when I got up there to take some time to acquaint myself with my car's 'handling characteristics' - it was a blast!

PS - does anyone know how to disable the hand brake 'idiot' chime? Get's real annoying after awhile...

I post stuff on my MINI here: http://techometerblog.com/

Last year I had the all wrong tires and Tigger was useless in the snow. This year I have some Conti Snow Extremes, I NO LONGER FEAR THE SNOW!!

I do fear the other idiots out there that should have stayed home.

It was great today, Tigger was going up hills and through unplowed parking lots. I had no tire spins, no fishtailing and he was stopping very well too.

So now Tigger is a little tank in the snow, but there are still other drivers out there and they are scary!

Ali

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

Drove the new Countryman in the snow today and had a great time! It was NOT the ALL4 version.

'03 JB MCS- SOLD: JCW front bumper, intake, exhaust, brakes, CF dash, 15% pulley, Multifunction Steering Wheel retrofit, Euro white taillights, Factory Driving Lights, Wyvern Motorsports Rear Seat Delete, and more....

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Short of trying to drive on a set of racing slicks or R comp tires, I doubt that most tires would have had a challenge on most of the roads today. One of my "shortcuts" is on a road that hadn't been treated or plowed and my trusty all-seasons didn't even notice. NOW, when I was in a long straight stretch and nobody was coming, I did slow down to "play" a bit and I was able to get wheel spin (love seeing that yellow triangle and the DSC come one) and when I got to the hill here by the house, I played with the anti-lock brakes a bit as well.

Going to work in the morning is what I'm worried about. The temps are dropping towards the low 20's. That run off is going to start freezing and if you have anything less than studded tires or a tracked vehicle, nothing is going to help.

Yeah, I have to agree, the clowns that are still driving at/above safe speeds in this kind of weather are the real threat to the rest of us.

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

I need some snow tires to replace my sorry run flats, I had zero traction today and had to leave my poor mini at my wife's work. I was going to see what Costco carries, they always have great prices but I don't know if they'll carry a good winter tire. Tirerack has the Blizzaks for a good price but does anyone have a recommendation for where to get them installed?

I like snow and driving in it, I've driven rear-wheel drive, front-wheel drive and four-wheel drive in the snow and it's always a blast!

2006 MCS, SB/S , "B.A."

• Performance: DINAN "Stage 5" tune, throttle body, boost kit (fuel pump, pulley), & CAI; JCW exhaust sans resonator, brakes, & GP IC; DDM IC diverter; CSF Racing Aluminum Radiator
  • Suspension: DINAN front strut brace; Alta 22mm rear bar; KW V1 coil-overs; H-Sport adjustable rear control arms; CravenSpeed strut underators
  • Interior: CravenSpeed gauge mounts with Cooper S boost and voltage, & shift well cover
  • Wheels: Enkei PF01 17"
  • Audio: Kenwood Excelon KDC-X994 HU; MTX Terminator speakers F&B

Alan @ opensource.com

If you're going to get run flat snow tires then Alban Tires in Springfield is great. Not a lot of places will work on runflats, they have decent prices and can do any kind of tire.

If you're switching off of the run flats, I just looked up the tires I wanted at Tire Rack and got the local service station to match the price.

Ali

Tggrrr010.jpg

Thanks - looking to move off the run flats until spring after the horror I went through today - lots of spinning - no moving. Any other suggestions besides the Blizzak, someone recommended the Continental DWS???

My husband has the Blizzak runflats and was happy with them today. I went off of the run flats with the Continental Extreme Winter Contacts

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ExtremeWinterContact&partnum=145TR7EWC&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

and was really happy with them today. They just stuck to the road, it was nice. Not that I could go very fast with all the accidents.

The problem your having isn't that they're runflats, it's that you have SUMMER runflats, I had them last winter and it was a nightmare. You need snow tires.

Ali

Tggrrr010.jpg

I need some snow tires to replace my sorry run flats, I had zero traction today and had to leave my poor mini at my wife's work. I was going to see what Costco carries, they always have great prices but I don't know if they'll carry a good winter tire. Tirerack has the Blizzaks for a good price but does anyone have a recommendation for where to get them installed?

Not sure where you are but I ordered mine from Tirerack and had them shipped to PBC Automotive in Chantilly (close to my office). They have fixed rate pricing which you can see when you order the tires and it's convenient to have them shipped directly so you don't have to deal with getting the tires to the installer. They will work on run-flats, I think it is a $5 up-charge per tire. Standard ground shipping arrived there in 2 business days.

I post stuff on my MINI here: http://techometerblog.com/

I enjoy driving in the snow too! :rock:

When I left home yesterday morning, I realized that my wife didn't drive her Jeep Wrangler to work so I considered taking it. But then I was like "pffft", it's only going to be an inch or so :biggrin:.

Only had trouble on one steep hill exiting my work parking lot and ended up having to take a running start to get up it. (first time had to stop half way up because of an incoming car)

2009 MINI Cooper S Clubman

PS - does anyone know how to disable the hand brake 'idiot' chime? Get's real annoying after awhile...

Forgot to add my reply to the question above.

I should be able to disable that in the near future. More info to follow - whenever the postal service delivers my new cable.

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold