TGGRRR (Ali)

Clutch question

Way back in the 70's when I learned to drive a clutch I was told that you don't ride the clutch but it's OK if it's all the way pushed in. So that's how I have always driven, I'm very careful about riding the clutch. I often sit at a light with the clutch fully depressed.

Recently a guy told me that the new clutches are different and if I sit at a light with the clutch fully depressed that I'm still wearing on it.

Is this true? I already had the clutch replaced on Tigger at 30k and I want to be sure I'm driving it properly.

Ali

Edited by TGGRRR
typo

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

Ideally, if you're going to be sitting stationary for any length of time, you should put the car in neutral and take your foot off the clutch.

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

Ali,

The "other guy" and Haemish are both right. When you are sitting stationary with the engine running and the clutch depressed, you aren't actually wearing the clutch, you are working the throwout bearing or whatever device your vehicle has in it's place but if you are going to be sitting for a few minutes, I'd let the clutch out and take the pressure off of it.

If you did a poll of people who drive standard transmissions and you asked 50 people which is right, you'd probably get 25 for either side of that response.

Another issue is accident liability. If your car is in gear and your foot is on the clutch and brake, an investigator will argue that you are at fault if you are hit from behind and hit the car in front of you (the person who hit you would be at fault for your damage/injury). If your car is in neutral and you are on the brake (better yet, with the parking brake set), your car didn't accelerate (when your foot came off of the clutch) to hit the other car. In Most of Europe, drivers are taught to apply the parking brake when they stop at a light or they are stopped in an intersection.

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

I usually shift to neutral and take my food off the clutch, but kep one foot planted on the brake.

I don't recall ever setting my parking/emergency brake except at hills. And I don't recall doing that at all in Germany when I lived there. Must be something new ;)

yeah, I do the neutral thing to, simply because it's more comfortable. Esp. in stop and go/city driving.

Seems that I hear different stories from others on how long one's clutch lasts. I have 80K+ miles and haven't had any problems. However, I bought LUXOR used at around 25K +. So I don't know if it ever was replaced before i took ownership.

I usually shift to neutral and take my food off the clutch, but keep one foot planted on the brake.

I don't recall ever setting my parking/emergency brake except at hills. And I don't recall doing that at all in Germany when I lived there. Must be something new ;)

Only time i used the e-brake was learning to drive stick on steep hills.:laugh:

does anyone remember doing :motor: :burnout:on steep hill learning to drive.Brings

a :smile: to my face.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I basically learned to drive a standard when I test drove my first new car. I knew the "basics" but when I got in the car to test drive it I told the salesman "aaaaa it may take me a few tries to get this going"...the look on his face was classic! I am sure they were glad I picked up that car the next day. I figured out the e-break thing when I stopped at a light on a hill and a trash truck stopped right on my tail lights....LOL

image.php?u=620&type=sigpic&dateline=129

Next Generation Trnka Toy

2003 R53 MCSm, EB/W

I learned to drive in a 2 Ton Ford Flatbed truck and graduated to a Caterpillar D-9 Bulldozer and a Massey-Ferguson Tractor. After that, it was anything I sat in! That probably explains many of my driving habits.

I usually opt for Neutral with my foot on brake.

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold