jujucooper

New MINI - FUN! And questions...

Hi everyone. I have almost 1000 miles on my new MINI. Its a 2010 MC in Horizon Blue, six speed manual, with cold weather pack. Way more fun than an economy car getting 35mpg's should be!

I note that there is a rattle in the dash between 2500-3000 rpms. If I was to choose WHERE in the dash, I'd say behind the speedo or the vent/hazard switch area. But I know how rattles can be. Again, its not all of the time, but when it does happen, its only between 2500-3k rpms.

Anyone familiar with that rattle? More importantly, anyone know how to fix it?

I'm a bit annoyed that the speedo reads 3-4 mph too high at all times, but apparently from other forums it "within spec" for MINI. Hoping its not affecting the odometer.

I will probably use Passport MINI in Alexandria since thats where I bought it. I'm afraid to have someone tear apart the dash to fix a rattle unless its so common that its become an easy fix for the techs over there. Of course, when I call them, they don't know what I am talking about.

Any advice? Thanks very much everyone!!

Welcome to the group, and congrats on your MINI! :wavey:

A couple of things:

1. A vibration / rattle at certain RPMs usually - to me - means you have something that 'resonates' at a certain frequency. Could be a loose plastic snap connector, could be something in your doors, or glovebox, or elsewhere, that rattles only when you hit that certain frequency - which happens to occur when you rev the motor ;) Can you duplicate the noise sitting still, revving the motor? Is it only while you're rolling?

I know for sure that there's 'something' in my er... spare tire well area that rattles when I'm moving. I know for sure that nothing rattled when I took possession of my Clubman, and I've moved/removed enough to eliminate most areas. But I've heard of EZPass transponders being the source of vibration / noise as well.

2. Our cars are made in Europe, so I suspect they follow the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE) Regulations. Basically, they allow for certain tolerances to account for various wheel sizes / diameters, and to ensure that a speedometer error doesn't account for speeding. In the US, there's an allowance of 5% (the indicated speed can be more by 5% than actual speed). MINIs aren't the only ones with this issue. But it's not a bug - it's a feature ;)

Wish I could help you more. Good luck finding the source of the rattle! :itsme:

Edited by carman63

Welcome to both MINI and to having a Horizon Blue!

Also, welcome to the speedo being off, mine is and so was my Dad's 08 MC. His got a little better over time but is still a little high.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]2010 MCS HzB/HzB|Alexandra "Alex"|Auto|Carbon Punch Leather|Cold Weather|Premium|16in alloy bridge spoke|USB/iPod|Sirius|Center Armrest|Auto A/C| Born 11/01/09 - Motoring 5/21/10

(Sold) 2002 BMW 330xi Black|102K miles|Bilstein HD Struts|H & R Sport Springs|Cold Weather|Premium|Xenon (Sold) 1999 BMW M3 Triple Black Convertible|Manual|100K Miles|Projector36 by Umnitza Ellipsoids + Predator 6000K Xenon

Welcome to the group and to the MINI!

Carman's reply on the rattle was spot on, it's most likely a fastener of some sort. Are you able to isolate a general area of the annoying sound? I can relate as I am driven a little "batty" by those kinds of things. I've got plastic window hangars for my condo and work parking and they vibrate and make noise from time to time.

As for the Speedo, it's a built in error to comply with EU laws and they (MINI USA) wont' change it. The good news is that the odometer isn't "fed" the same amount of "discrepancy" so it's accurate (or as accurate as an uncalibrated odometer can be).

Enjoy the car and we look forward to meeting you at an event soon!

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

Thanks for the welcomes and replies.

The speedo thing isn't a deal breaker at all, just have to do math everytime I come to a radar or police area, haha.

The rattle is on the interior panel where the silver button that opens the glovebox is. That panel runs to UNDER the speedo. If I press the bottom of the speedo or that panel itself, the rattle goes away. Its not the actual glovebox door, as opening the door doesn't make it go away. I am thinking of putting some black tape or felt under the speedo. Unless the dealer techs have a TSB or something like that.

Yeah, that sounds like a loose fastener in there. I've got a bunch of dynomat and various thickness rolls of double-sided tape that you are welcome to try. I don't think the dynomat will be of any use but it's helped me cut down on some of my "self induced" interior noises.

There's a video on YouTube of a guy pulling the dash apart of a 2nd Gen MINI - I can PM the link to you if you need.

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

Yeah, that sounds like a loose fastener in there. I've got a bunch of dynomat and various thickness rolls of double-sided tape that you are welcome to try. I don't think the dynomat will be of any use but it's helped me cut down on some of my "self induced" interior noises.

There's a video on YouTube of a guy pulling the dash apart of a 2nd Gen MINI - I can PM the link to you if you need.

Thanks. I will check around YouTube tomorrow. If you have the link handy (please don't go through any trouble!) and you can paste it or PM it, that would be great. Interesting to see if I think I can do it myself, or if I should go intro myself to the dealer service area.

Thanks again.

I finally got a chance to check out those links of taking the dash apart. Doesn't look too terribly hard. BUT, lordy does it look like if you crack the seals, all those panels will be unhappy when put back together...making lots of noise to express their unhappiness, lol.

I've have determined that its a BUZZ, not a rattle. Only above 2k and below 3500. Foot has to be on the gas...

I'm breaking down and going to the dealer. I know it won't happen when I ride with them, but hoping to (insert your diety here) that the service guys will know what I am describing and fix it. 6 weeks old :(

Hopefully it will be fixed this week. I'll keep you posted. Happy Father's Day to all the Dads out there!