cmcveay

Anyone have experience?

Any DCMM drivers with experience at autocross?

I think I'm pretty well set up for it but now it's the "tuning and tweaking" part. On my very first attempt, I managed to cut time off of each run and I didn't take advantage of all of the offered assistance (in car rides and all - shame on me) but That's how I learn. Next time, I'll take a ride along just to learn.

What I'd like to see is if anyone here in DCMM land has some experience and would be willing to have a go with my car to see what I can do to make it work a little better. Different sway bar setting, adjustable links, air pressure in tires....

Anyone out there up for it?

Thanks,

Craig

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

Hey Craig,

Only limited experience with the MINI. But I've been autocrossing for over 30 years. Got a closet full of trophies and I was the Solo II chairman for the Old Dominion Region-SCCA for about 15 years.Oh, and Regina is a two time SCCA Divisional Champion. Of course I did the car prep!

The son and I ran his stock 07 MCS at events down in Charlotte while he was in school there. He'd run G/S and I ran D/SP. We hate running against each other. With nothing but Hoosier radials, we were both undefeated in 6 events.

The biggest thing I tell people, is drive it STOCK as long as you can. Stock cars are harder to drive fast, so it;ll make you a better driver. One thing people do too fast is put on sticky tires. They mask a lot of bad habits. I made Tyler run the his MINI stock for the first year,then we started modding it. And of course, we haven't done an event since!

I'd also do tires LAST. I like a bigger rear sway bar to help the car rotate. But be careful there. Springs and shocks are debateable. Lower helps, but if you bottom out the suspension, you'll have your hands full. Likewise stiffer shocks will take some learning. If the car doesn't lean, then the tires absorb the deflection. over load them and they'll slide. On a tuning side remember "Stiff end slides first" Big rear bar, the rear will want to come around faster. Big front bar, it won't want to turn. Same for springs and shocks.

Tires are important and make a MAJOR difference, but can be A) expensive or B) mask some bad habits because they forgive more. Up to a point!

The biggest adjustable part is the driver. Drive the car, learn the car. Learn it's "quirks". Know what it's gonna do and when it's gonna do it. THAT will make you faster in the long run!

Good luck!