tvrgeek

Ideas for gauge issues

The speedo is the most obvious problem. I looked into GPS units and although many recommend them as more accurate than the dash, they do not spec to within 1%. Besides, GPS units seem to be the easiest way to get your car broken into. Still an option.

Dakota Digital and Cyberdyne offered no recommendation for sensor pickup. Dakota actually seemed scared at the topic of a Mini. I was thinking it could be possible to tap an ABS sensor, but that scared everybody. BMW will not release schematics, so I am in the blind on what signals are available. I found a small race unit which just needs something turning, but the axles also go up and down so not suitable to glue a magnet to. A slick display I saw was a HUD, but it needs a smartphone to drive it.

A place to put an impulse sensor is the hurdle. Any thoughts or recommendations out there?

I have not found anyone with the same orange color for a water temp and voltmeter. Not that we really need them with computers and idiot lights, just I am so used to the comfort of them I miss them. Easy to install, just want a matching illumination color.Black face and trim would be fine. Any hints?

Switches. Looks pretty easy to parallel the two window switches with ones further back on the console so they are reachable. I go through a lot of security gates and find I am frequentlly hitting the wrong button if I don't look.

Moving the defroster and AC buttons above the HVAC wings should not be too hard. Just enough to make them within reach.

I was thinking about putting the sport mode switch within reach, but I find I rarely use it, so I will let it be.

Take a look at the scangauge II.

I haven't tinkered with mine very much but it looks like it shows speed and there are a couple of threads on NAM about the way to calibrate it to show the correct speed. I know my speedo is 3mph off at all speeds so I adjust on the fly. I'm not worried about the service indicator or the warranty issue as my research suggests those are fed a correct speed value unlike the speedo which is calibrated to display a higher speed than actual to meed some arcane regulations.

You can display up to 4 values at once on the scanguage, I've got Intake air temp, water temp, Air to fuel ratio and boost pressure and it's all read from the ECU so there's no additional wiring or sensors involved. I am tinkering with the backlight color and I have it very near the OEM colors.

I used the Cravenspeed "W" mount and the scangauge bracket to mount it because I will also be mounting my Tom Tom from the same mount when I get home.

I'm attaching a picture of how I have the guage mounted for now but it may change to move to one side. I like the current location as it sits just above the steering wheel and I can see it in a quick scan.

JustJay has - or had - a scangauge bracket for sale if this fits your bill.

Other really nice features is the whole trip meter portion of the gauge and, if that's not enough, you can use it to reset codes - all from the same little device!

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

I've been leaning towards the iPhone / iPod Touch software Rev, and a wireless OBD II adapter. The idea of having a software-based solution that uses the big screen of my iPhone, and is customizable to show practically any gauge I want... is exceedingly cool. :rock:

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

I've got my Scangauge II set up very similar to Craig's, but I definitely crave a housing/mounting that makes it look like it belongs in the dash. I also wish oil temp and pressure where sent via ODBII.

I suspect, though, that you're looking for gauges that are direct reads in order to meet your precision requirements :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I am the last person who does not have a smart phone. I only make calls on my phone. Generation thing. :) I was also looking at marine GPS gauges as they do come in 2 1/8 standard mounts, but have big antennas and are ugly. Same problem with aircraft ones. Yes, I want it part of the car. I am not getting in and "hooking up" stuff. An $80 discount GPS would probably work better. The Autosport wins for Bling. I will probably be at Burtonsville Sunday if anyone wants to see it.

I saw this thing called a Bulldog in the Jegs catalog. ( nice name eh?) that will display any 4 functions in digital and one in analog. Speed, Oil, Temp, boost. It is even more and they have not responded it it will work on our cars.

I may have to live with it as it is and just consider it another excuses-less fault of BMW. I can continue to wait for my Bilstiens.

Found a plethora of ODB-II based systems. Scangauge as already mentioned, BullyDog, PLX, Dash Hawk, Aero Force, and what looks like the cream of the crop, DashDaq. From buck-seventy to don't ask. It seems some are intigrating with GPS map programs, so one display could do many things. Gauges, maps, performance, MP3.

As these are all ODB based, I don't know if the speed they display is correct, or the same 2 and a half high. All these look like a slick way to get the temp, volts, boost, oil gauges that MINi left off.

I don't have my books on the SG2 handy but I recall it mentioning that the default refresh rate is every 2 seconds and you can go through the set up options and make it faster but I haven't seen anything that says how fast that changed it to... 1 second maybe? That's more than adequate for me as I don't drive down the road staring at the gauge, waiting for it to change. It'll refresh ever second or two and I'll do a gauge scan to see what the numbers are.

As far getting into/out of the car and hooking stuff up, I routed the cable around the steering column and behind the trip panel to connect to the OBD II port so it's totally hidden and the OBD II port connector comes out on the side so you can't even see that it's connected when you look into the car.

Since I've been on my road, the splitter and Tom Tom mounting arm arrived at the house so I'll so that part of the install when I get home next weekend. I do like having the SG2 directly over the tach since it puts in my field of view so I will probably mount the GPS to the right so I can reach it display with my hand on the wheel.

While at MOTD, one of the guys working for WMW showed me his R56 SG2 mount. He used a piece of aluminum flashing, attached it to the back of the SG2 and then, it was attached behind the trip panel to left of the steering column. It was a super clean install and if you weren't looking for it, it would pretty much hide on the dash! The cable was neatly tucked in hidden. I might be able to get a couple of pics of the install if you are interested in seeing it.

Good luck with your search!

Craig

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

As soon as I get my refund from the HUD, I will order a scangaugeII. I think I will mount it on the trim to the left of the pod. I found something sticking up above the tach caused me distracting vision problems. It is me, not the HUD. I kind of like the PLX for doing just water and volts, but it is a lot more bucks.