rack13

2nd Gen S hood scoop melting?

I bought my 07 MCS in July and heard of the issue of the hood scoop warping due to heat. I didn't think much of it, until I discovered this morning that part of my scoop is in fact warped.

Does anyone have any additional info or experience with this issue, like can it get worse to the point of serious damage occurring?

Also, I was already considering getting a JCW CF scoop, so if anyone knows if the same problem happens with that scoop, any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Rack,

There's a pretty extensive thread on the Gen 2 hoodscoop concerns over on NAM. You'll read lots of people that have had the problem, lots of people that haven't had the problem; posts that state there are only two kinds of hood scoops on the 2nd Gen "those that have melted and those that are going to melt" and lots of stories about dealers and different answers.

I noticed my had begun to develop a "dip" in the rear center and I decided to remove the scoop and I then managed to turn it into a "functional" scoop by removing the airflow restriction plate. It's been almost two months since I did that with some hard driving, some hot days and I've seen no ill side effects. I'm going to either replace the restriction device or devise some gizmo that will deflect the incoming are away from my CAI as we get into the wet winter months as I'd rather not drown the air filter at highway speeds in a downpour.

Oh, most of the posts involving positive dealer experiences in the thread on NAM do ultimately mention MINI offering the CF JCW scoop as a replacement or at a discount.

Link to the NAM Thread

Enjoy,

Craig

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

I drove the Clubby home in a downpour this weekend (all the way from Atlanta to Richmond) and kept checking the CAI and engine for water accumulation and didn't have any issues even though I removed the "plug" from the scoop when I installed the ALTA CAI. I figured the engine bay would be soaked, but didn't notice any water in there at all. I'm sure someone can explain why, but I haven't figured it out yet.

Stanley - 2006 MINI Cooper S

Carmen - 2008 MINI Clubman S - The LEGO MINI

Good to know! I was going to do the same after my drive home this evening since the forcast looks kind of "moist" through the weekend. I have noticed that my scoop no longer had that slight deformation (dip in the center) that it did before. I'm hoping that it's a combination of cooling air flow and decreased underhood temps. I'm also hoping the new down pipe will help underhood temps. the coated pipe is supposed to help cut down on the radiated heat coming out of the turbo and into the exhaust.... Adam "suggested" my pipe would be shipping in the next couple of weeks.

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold