HTTR1016

First Road Trip...Limped Home

I purchased an 08 Mini Cooper S about 3 weeks ago. I had a PPI done and just got the car out of the shop last week to address the known oil leaks and change out the drive belt. Took the car out for her first major road trip (10 hrs to Michigan) and after 3 hours into the drive, somewhere in PA, on a steep uphill highway, the check engine light came on, car lost engine power rapidly despite downshifting, and I had to limp it to the shoulder. After shutting down the engine and letting it rest for about 10 mins, engine turned back on without problem, but now had a noticeable rough idle (shudder), seemed to have decreased power in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear, very difficult to find engagement point in 1st gear, and noticeable shudder when going through 1st through 3rd gear. Also, putting the engine under load in 1st through 3rd gears (over 2500 RPM) would make the check engine light blink, and tach needle appeared slightly erratic.

Was able to limp it back home because I was in the middle of nowhere (probably not the best for the car, but had to make a decision) and dropped it off at my normal Mini shop. I'm sure they'll diagnose pretty quick, but I'd love to hear what the community thinks is the issue. 

This is my first Mini, so I'm learning as I go.

Thanks!

Good detailed description of your issues, as opposed to the common I have a CEL, its making noises, whats wrong.

I do have a few follow up questions:

1) how many miles on your MINI?

2) did you check the oil, once the issue happen or when you got home? If so what was the level?

Thanks

1975Mini001.jpg

1975 Mini 1000, 998cc A+ w/ K&N air filter, 10" Mamba wheels

Thanks for the reply! My Mini has approx 131,000 miles. I checked the oil levels, before I took off this morning, on a cold engine, level ground. Oil level was between the hashes on the dip stick, closer to the top hash (full). Just had the oil changed when it was in for service this past week. Unfortunately, I did not think to check the oil again after the car started having problems or when I dropped it off at the shop. I will keep that in mind for next time.

Thanks!

Does the history mention walnut blasting, as carbon build up on the backside of the valves could definately contribute to rough idle and if enough build up intermittent misfires that would create lack of power. 

The High Pressure fuel pump is a common fail part, if it is going bad that could explain some of the issues under load. 

Both are just guesses, did you pull the codes being thrown that caused the CEL?

if you have access to the service history look for HPFP replacement and Timing chain/tensor bolt replacement. 

Let us know what the shop says. 

1975Mini001.jpg

1975 Mini 1000, 998cc A+ w/ K&N air filter, 10" Mamba wheels