MINImum

Blacking out the chrome trim - have a question

I think I've figured out what I want to do with the chrome/black issue. I want to black out the chrome trim that goes all the way around the car, the thin strip between the windows and the body. This morning, I used some electrical tape on some of it, and I liked how it looked. I will still be keeping most of the other chrome, and I think this will make the remaining chrome "pop".

Anyway, so here's my question. I'm a cheapskate, so could I actually use the electrical tape? Has anyone else done this? It's a little tough to use because it's so stretchy, but other than that it's the perfect color and the perfect width.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance. :)

- Cindy B.

Carmen: 2008 MCS Clubman CR

MINImum,

I started to take the electrical tape route myself just to see how it worked on the beltline chrome. I ended up ordering a kit do black it out and now I just need to find time between the rain and work to put it on. I also ordered smoked headlight covers. I'll finish it off by blacking out the headlight rings and leave it at that. I think the Black and Blue will look pretty good... Maybe some black sport stripes?

I would think the electrical tape would work though. It's vinyl and it's got pretty good adhesive. Good luck with it.

KOOPDUP

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

There are definitely people who go (or at least start) with electrical tape; tons of stories of it on NAM (northamericanmotoring.com). I don't know how it holds up to the weather (fading in the sun? dunno), but it would definitely be a place to start.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Koopdup: I think your ideas sound great! I would love to see pictures of your car, Laser Blue is my favorite MINI color. If I were to have gotten that color, I would probably do exactly what you're doing. :)

Cameroon & PlayPlay: I don't have enough electrical tape, so I will probably take a run to Home Depot and see what I can find. Ordering from outmotoring right now would be dangerous, as I would probably put a lot more than one item in my shopping cart!

I will post pictures when I'm finished with the tape. I also have a name in mind, so stay tuned. ;)

- Cindy B.

I went out this morning and blacked out the beltline chrome and I do like it! I'll go back and do a couple of pieces over as I'm not 100% happy with them. Now, I have a kit to black out the chrome side scuttles and I'll be just about done!

Need pictures. I will be painting all my front chrome CR

2009 MINI Clubman Factory JCW CR/B

Helix BOV, DDM CAI, Helix STS, 35% tint, Black R113 wheels, eibach pro kit, 8000K 55w HID's.

2006 MINI Cooper S PS/B 176 fwhp/ 165 fwtq SOLD

2004 Pontiac GTO BLK 389 rwhp / 454 rwtq SOLD

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm not sure about the UV resistance with electrical tape. Plus, I think it will shrink over time. That's what makes it good on electrical connections. I'd call any shop that sells paint and body supplies. If you have a Mattos up that way they're good. (I spend about 3 grand a week with them!) You can buy 3M tape in several different sizes and probably 60 different colors.

I've got a couple of pictures but I'm not bright enough to figure out how to attach them. I also took her by and put new "shoes" on her today. I went for all season tires, KUMHO Ecsta AST's in 205/50-16. I drove about 10 feet before I realized the difference. With the lowered suspension, lots of bumps were really "harsh". Not so much now. I noticed the difference in noise right away as well.

There should be two photo's attached. Couldn't get all the way around, I'm parked too close to Lona's "Z". If anyone wants more photo's with better quality, let me know.

MINImum & Jason,

A couple of pics from this afternoon with a better camera.

I applied the Lamin-X to the headlights and now, I know that I never want to install window tint for a living! It really wasn't all that bad, I just hate dragging the inverter and the heat gun and everything out to the parking area. At least I was smart enough to take the kitchen step ladder so I could sit close to the ground.

I have the lamin-X for the front fogs as well but I didn't feel like laying on the ground to install it. Next time I have it on the lift, I'll get those done.

Now it's critical to get the headlight rings and washer "pods" toned down a bit.

Jason, can you see the V1? I'm still working on the positioning. I applied a strip of packing tape across the top of the windshield so I could mount it a little higher and it worked pretty good. Then, I mounted my GPS below the toggles in the center stack. No more suction cups (or their marks) on the glass to call the crackhead car burglars attention!

Yeah I can spot the V1, but most wouldn't be able to. If you look at my tint job picture I don't think you could find it. It's the only reason for that tint on my windshield.

2009 MINI Clubman Factory JCW CR/B

Helix BOV, DDM CAI, Helix STS, 35% tint, Black R113 wheels, eibach pro kit, 8000K 55w HID's.

2006 MINI Cooper S PS/B 176 fwhp/ 165 fwtq SOLD

2004 Pontiac GTO BLK 389 rwhp / 454 rwtq SOLD

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yeah, I think I'm gonna do the same. I've only had one laser "intercept" since I put it in but it would be interesting to see if the tint cuts down on the ability to see it.

Looks great! Are you going to eventually get new wheels? Or get your current wheels powdercoated? I have the same wheels as you and I was wondering what they might look like in black (but not the shiny black).

I finished the trim line on half my car today, I need to go back out this evening now that the kids are in bed and finish it. I can't drive around with it half-done!

- Cindy B.

I finished my first mod! It's not much, but I'm proud of it, and I'm amazed at what a difference such a little change makes. I'm sure it's not for everybody (a lot of people like all the chrome) but to me it makes the car look almost perfect!

I used electrical tape after all, but I got the expensive stuff (it may not be any better, but it said it was good in cold temperatures). It's from 3M and it's called S-88.

HPIM1558-1.jpg

HPIM1559.jpg

(In this pic, it looks like you can see chrome at the near end of the last piece. It's just a reflection, believe me when I saw this picture I ran out to make sure I didn't really do THAT bad of a job!)

- Cindy B.

Hmmm, well just blacking out the chrome strip like I did makes a HUGE difference in the amount of chrome. It makes the other chrome pieces stand out instead of just blending in with the rest of the chrome. Since there is already that rubber seal that's black under the chrome, it's not like you would be adding black where it isn't already. If you have some electrical tape, just try one segment of the trim and see how it looks. You don't even have to take the time to make it nice & neat, just to see the effect.

Another Laser Blue.... love your car. :)

- Cindy B.

Hmm... that's a good point, the pillars and such are black after all so that probably would work very well for the beltline. Guess I'll have to give it a shot. And thanks! :)

Oh, I just noticed what looks to be a small Mini emblem beneath the side scuttle on your Clubman (driver side). Did you add that (I can't recall seeing that anywhere before)?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It's a sticker I got from Deal's Gap Motorcycle Resort last week. I don't recall seeing them last time I drove the Dragon (but then again, I didn't have a MINI at that time). Here is a closer picture of it. Sorry it's fuzzy, I took like 5 different pics at different angles and it kept coming out fuzzy. But you get the idea. It comes in black, red, white, and chrome. It's about $4.

I need one for the other side, so if anyone is going to the Dragon anytime soon, let me know. :)

HPIM1564.jpg

PS: The electrical tape was a phenomenal failure! It was already peeling off on the ends by this morning. I may go with the tape that was suggested earlier (I also spoke to someone at my local MINI dealer this morning who used it with great success), or think about some kind of painting option.

- Cindy B.

Cameroon - give me a shout if you'd like to get together to blackout your beltline chrome. I've got the tape and I have two cans of plasti-dip. The greatest thing about both is that you can just peel it off if you don't like it.

MiniMUM, here's you go, Kooper with his new wheels!

We had our first setback with the Plasti-dip - at some point during my drive home from Atlanta last night a small section of the front beltline peeled back. I can't tell if it was because there was a bubble or place that was painted poorly or if it is just something that is likely to happen. I'm not going to give up yet - we'll see how the rest of it holds up on Carmen and on Stanley. We may try to use tape on the front beltline if it turns out to be a problem on both cars that may be the result of the extra wind pressure in that area.

On a positive note, the headlight rings and front grill still look great, so I am still hopeful.

Stanley - 2006 MINI Cooper S

Carmen - 2008 MINI Clubman S - The LEGO MINI

My headlight rings and grill surround are both holding up but I've only been to about 95 since I painted 'em. :) They've also been through three pressure washes. I don't get right up next to that part, I keep it back a foot or two but no problems yet. I've still got the tape on the belt line trim though. Your pictures of the car all taped off did crack me up though. I think the time it would take to remove the headlight trim and upper/lower grill would be wayyyyyy less than the time it took to mask them off :) That's why we all try different things though, we learn from it.