MELO-R56

Timing Chain and Carbon Build Up

My new to me (as of this past November) 2009 MINI Cooper S has 44,000 miles on in at this date. I purchased the car as is with no warranty from MINI of Sterling.

I understand the N14 engine has had issues with the timing chain. Is the timing chain issue something MINI is servicing at no cost to the customer as part of a class action lawsuit? If not, what kind of $$$ are we talking about?

Also, I understand carbon build up is a normal concern for this engine. I've heard of using the Seafoam product to help clean out the build up. Can anyone recommend doing this, and at what stage of the life of the engine?

Any info would be appreciated.

-Steve

2009 Mellow Yellow MCS, JCW Aero Package, JCW intake, JCW Steering Wheel, NM Engineering strut tower brace, Nvidia Q300 Cat Back Exhaust, ST XTA Coilovers, Madness Motorworks 22mm Adjustable Rear Sway Bar, GP2 Rear Diffuser, Powerflex front control arm bushings, R112 Black Challenge Wheels, Bridgestone Potenza Tires

its actually the timing chain tensioner that fails. not sure if there is a TSB on it. but when it goes, bad things happen. i would call Mini of Sterling and ask what TSB's have been performed on your vehicle. using your VIN they can tell you over the phone.

i have used sea foam on all my vehicles and it works to remove carbon. there is a good youtube video on it.

2010 BRG R57 - Bone Stock for now

i have used sea foam on all my vehicles and it works to remove carbon. there is a good youtube video on it.

What about the CRC GDI IVD Intake Valve cleaner? Someone else recommended it here a few months ago. My 2009 has about 75K miles and probably needs some cleaning out.

2009 IY JCW R57 "Cinq à Sept"

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I agree have your local MINI dealer pull any service records for you. I know there are a few class actions on the N14 out there, I believe the time chain tensioner is not settled yet. there is one for the HPFP that is settled, to reimburse cost.

***Warning personal opinion*** Seafoam or any cleaner are good preventative maintenance, but if the build up is already there manual removal (i.e. walnut blasting or some other form) is the only way to truly remove the buildup.

I run seafoam twice a year, but I also had to do the walnut blast at like 80k, but I bought it around the same mileage as you did 45k. It just depends who while the previous owner maintained it (ask dealer to pull ALL service records).

Now a myth about seafoam the white smoke is NOT carbon buildup burning off!!! It is a petroleum based product, that when burned produces white smoke, that white smoke coming out of the beater in front of you isn't burning carbon deposits. Its just burning oil.

Hope this helps and feel free to ignore the small soap box.:ridinghorse::soapbox:

1975Mini001.jpg

1975 Mini 1000, 998cc A+ w/ K&N air filter, 10" Mamba wheels