SPRCatamount

Question about wheel size

Once the weather clears up, Hannibal is getting new shoes. I'd like to upgrade to 18" wheels with a suggested tire size of 215/35-18. I did some back of the envelope math and it seems like they should fit without altering the suspension, as the total size of the new wheels plus lower profile tires appears to be relatively close. Anyone have any thoughts on the subject before I make the investment?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm not completely sure that 18"s are an upgrade.

Be honest with yourself, what do you use the car for?

How important is ride comfort to you? Because you'll be giving up comfort for sure.

And, you should really consider run flat tires with that low a profile.

No matter where you go, there you are!

Once the weather clears up, Hannibal is getting new shoes. I'd like to upgrade to 18" wheels with a suggested tire size of 215/35-18. I did some back of the envelope math and it seems like they should fit without altering the suspension, as the total size of the new wheels plus lower profile tires appears to be relatively close. Anyone have any thoughts on the subject before I make the investment?

If you'd like to make sure, here's a link to a wheel/tire size calculator.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

While I never ran 18's, I did go so far as to run 245/40's on the R56 and Merlin's summer tires were 215/45's (all on 17" rims).

You'll get opinions on both sides of the fence when it comes to 18's, that's for sure. Some will swear by them because they have less sidewall and therefore, extremely responsive steering and that's their priority. Others will steer you away (yes, pun intended) from them because you do sacrifice ride quality when you start talking about an 18" wheel and a 35 series profile.

Take a good hard look at where you drive because pot holes are going to become you worst nightmare. With so little sidewall, bending rims isn't out of the question.

Run Flat vs. non Run Flat has been beat to death pretty well but the arguments are along the same lines - what's your priority and what are you willing to compromise on.

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold