ErinKC

VA issues with MODs

So, Tycoon failed her VA state inspection today. I wanted to get her inspection done for two reasons.

She is due come March 1 for a safety and I thought, well, lets do it before I put her new exhaust on come Saturday (second reason) even though I don't need emissions.

I didn't even think about the rally lights being a problem. Turns out in VA that if you have extra lights on your car they can only be wired in to the high beams and nothing else. Passport MINI service dept. caught it. :banghead:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If you put covers on them, it will pass. Actually, fog lights can only be wired to low beans and driving/rally lights to high beams. The "quick fix" though is to have covers for them.

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

If you put covers on them, it will pass. Actually, fog lights can only be wired to low beans and driving/rally lights to high beams. The "quick fix" though is to have covers for them.

Really? So if I just put the solid covers on them they will pass?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yep. When covered, they are considered "inoperative".

Funny that this happened though, I've found that PMoA is really super picky when doing their inspections. The lights would have gotten you at most places though.

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

Yep. When covered, they are considered "inoperative".

Funny that this happened though, I've found that PMoA is really super picky when doing their inspections. The lights would have gotten you at most places though.

Hmm, well looks like the free inspection at PMoA isn't going to happen. I'll just put the covers on them and take them to the gas station.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In Va, Fog lights have to be off when the high beams are on. If they fail just put the covers on or put black tape over them and they will pass....

[sIGPIC]http://www.motoringalliance.com/gallery/data/500/nh21003.jpg[/sIGPIC]

2004 MC JB/W CVT DSC H/K R50 "Operation De-Chrome" 90% Complete

The Land Rover I had before Rigsby had a set of Hella off road lights - loved the way they looked both on and off.

At the seven year mark the solid state high current relay that controlled them failed. The lights simply wouldn't turn on.

I passed inspection for a few more years before one inspector told me he would fail the vehicle unless I put covers on the lights even though they wouldn't come on under any circumstances.

Glad I kept the covers in the back! I popped them on and passed.

I keep Rigsby's driving light covers in the boot side storage just in case.

...Mike

Edited by VaMike

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]"Rigsby" - 13 R59 MCRSm, CR, Blk SS, 17" Blk Star Bullets, Blk HL and FL, Blk Mirrors, Stone Guards, Chrome Line Ext & Int, JCW Int, Championship B/R, Packs: 1, 2, 3, 4, HK w/Sirius, NAV, MC, PDC

The Land Rover I had before Rigsby had a set of Hella off road lights - loved the way they looked both on and off.

At the seven year mark the solid state high current relay that controlled them failed. The lights simply wouldn't turn on under any circumstances.

I passed inspection for a few more years before one inspector told me he would fail the vehicle unless I put covers on the lights even though they wouldn't come on under any circumstances.

Glad I kept the covers in the back! I popped them on and passed.

I keep Rigsby's driving light covers in the boot side storage just in case.

...Mike

I'm going to try this again with the covers on. If I take it to MINI I can get it for free. I just wish they had known that because I had the covers in the boot.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]