DBeest

Stripped Spark Plug Thread on Engine Head

DBeest spit out a spark plug on cylinder 2 and based on the look of the spark plug, may have stripped the thread on engine head. I hope it's covered under warranty. Car has 51K miles and the prior owner had them replaced at around 15K. Waiting for the towing company contracted by the extended warranty since 11am to pick it up and take it to MINI of Alexandria. I can't beleive it's been 7 hours :banghead:and he's still on his way. I should have told them I was on the side of the road instead of at work or called AAA.

+1 on the USAA roadside service

but geesus...spark plugs popping? I didn't even know that was a thing. sorry dbeest, hope everything turns out alright. Would you mind snapping a pic of that popped spark plug for comparison purposes?

Also, now that I'm paranoid...this will be useful:

How to Change Spark Plugs:

Edited by Cambo

2009 MCS - Passenger seat delete--Rear seat delete--Arm rest delete--Cup holder delete--Seat Belt Delete--Cup holder added back because coffee

Well, inspector for the extended warranty company checked out my wheels and after consulting with adjuster will not cover repair of my car. Says that spark plugs are fasteners which are not covered. Dealer argued that the threads of the cylinder head failed and threads are not replaceable so it should be covered. I will call company on Monday to argue bit don't expect to get far since I spent $1600 on warranty and I've gotten well over 3k in repairs out of it. Company's don't like to lose money. Question now is...since I have to fork up $$ for new head, should I get a performance/ ported one? Maybe a JCW or something fancier?

This happened to me Thursday morning :-(

I know it wasn't lack of spinach as I torque mine to 20-22 ft lbs (I blame the cold winter (cold/heat cycles)).

Taking her in to PTuning next week so they can send it out to a machine shop for a look/quote.

Anyone have experience with repair vs replace? Chad's got me covered if I have to replace the head but... yikes!

Sorry to hear. Let me know how you make out for repair. I was told that time sett rethreading is the way to go. Let me know how you make out. I have the old head that I would like to get repaired for selling or my daughters R50 that now has 150k miles. Do you have a R53? What plugs did you have?

Thumper seems to be the experienced man to see if you want it ported and polished. Almost went with him but my car still has extended warranty. He offered to do the time cert for free if I paid for the port and polish. Return shipping is free.