Scouser

Waxing machines

Hi everyone - can anyone give me some suggestions of a good automatic waxer/polisher - nothing big and heavy, something I can handle (have a rotator cuff issue so need an automatic) - I've looked at a few online, but they seem quite big and cumbersome. Also - does anyone use a synthetic sealant first, and then finish with Carnauba? I've heard you can combine the two since Carnauba is not as long lasting as the synthetics. I know this has probably already been discussed, but since I'm new to the site, thought I'd ask. Thanks.

A couple of us use Porter Cable random orbit polishers. They are a bit heavy, but for the most part the weight does all the work - you just guide it. You can get them at a few stores online, to include autogeek and detailersdomain.

As far as detailing goes, I've used a sealant before and topped with wax, but it's not necessary. Some people will swear by the sealant/wax method, saying the carnuba gives an extra 'pop' or a warm glow, it all depends on the color of your car as to whether you'll notice. The synthetic 'waxes' on the market these days provide really good protection by themselves.

This page on AutoGeek sums it up nicely:

http://www.autogeek.net/qude101.html

-Jim

I have to second Jim's advice on the Porter Cable random Orbit polisher. The one I have seen a lot of people recommend is model #7424.

Darryl at Odds & Ends Detailing in Sterling demonstrated the Porter Cable, Flex, and another during the MINI class and the Porter Cable was safe for just about everyone. That is if you want to spend ~$120 on a polisher.

image.php?u=1000&type=sigpic&dateline=13

Ernie McStreet's facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/erniemcs.street

I love my Porter Cable and I have shoulder issues.

I use Prima Car Care products and when speaking to the owners they explained that different waxes are better for different types of paint. They do sell a carnuba wax (Banana Gloss) and several Polymer waxes. They told me that if the paint is non metallic that the Carnuba will really bring out the deep shine, but it only lasts about a month. While for mettalic paint it's better to use the Polymer wax. I will apply their Epic Polymer twice a year and then in between I use the Hydro wax which is applied really fast and is a Polymer.

When I do apply the Epic I will first use clay bar to clean the paint, then polish with the buffer to remove fine scratches, then a glaze to fill in any scratches left and finally Epic. This whole process will take about 3 hours so I only do it in the Spring and also in the Fall.

In between I wash and then apply the Hydro seal.

The in between washes are pretty quick, 30 minutes or so.

Odds and Ends Detailing sells Adam's products which are also very good and he's local. Darryl will happily help you decide on the best product for you MINI.

I know this sounds odd, but I really do love detailing my Tigger. I feel like I'm getting to know him better and I also get that chance to look over his exterior and find any issues that I might miss.

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

Again - thank you so much for all the advice - REALLY appreciate it. I was over at the MINI dealership the other day and they told me there's a new product out that "beats all others" - 22PLE - it's a polymer/like glass sealant that lasts up to 2 years. I did a little research on it, and apparently it's fantastic. (MINI charges $150 to have them do it), but of course, you can buy it relatively cheap - I think if memory serves me well (which it usually doesn't) is around $39 for a bottle.

Nora

It's more like 75.00 a bottle and it's NOT something you want to do yourself. It's a little tricky the first couple of times you do it and you will be throwing away any towels or applicators used during the process.

What I find fascinating is that it's a new product but lasts two years.....do you know anyone who has put it on and two years later is still happy? Daily Driver? Garage Queen?

I think it is a fine product. I've used it for customers and they've been very pleased. I do not have it on any of my cars. What purpose is it that you are trying to achieve?

You don't think the MINI dealer would ever try and sell you something, do you?

Just my .02......

- Darryl

I was thinking about getting it done because I don't have a garage, and at my townhouse, I am parked under a tree - so rather than trying to wax/seal my car every 5 minutes I'd like to get something that was better/longer lasting than say Carnauba wax or some of the other poly sealants etc. This sounded pretty good, even if you only have to redo it once a year - not every 2 years and every now & then wax - I'll ask their recommendations before I do it. (wow, considering it's $75 a bottle - I'd just as soon have the dealership apply it so I don't mess anything up - it's worth it to me).

Yes, it sounds like it could be a good option for you based on your environment.

The 20ml VX1 Pro is 60.00 at most online sites, VX1 Signature is a little less expensive. You should be able to do a MINI with that size. I've got lots of people asking me about it but when they hear the price, they re-think their options. I do not offer the product for retail sale, but can obtain it and do the application.

- Darryl

Darryl - thanks for that info. Do you know what the difference is between the VX1 Pro and the VX1 Signature. Is it just that the size of the Pro is a larger bottle? You're located in Manassas yes? I'm in Gaithersburg, otherwise I'd have you do it, since I've read good things about you on the blog here :-)

Nora