GotMINI

ECU/Dyno Tuning

Abdul,

While I'm a 2nd Gen guy, I can tell you that you want to make the performance mods BEFORE the tune and when it's something as radical as a cam and injectors, it's an easy choice! The change in lift and timing with the cam and then the change in fuel charge volume with the injectors (and the cam timing and lift) could actually be fatal to the engine if the tuned ECU is going the "wrong way". A dyno tune after the change will actually adjust everything to make it work together.

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

Thanks Edge! I appreciate the info...

Now I can't decide whether I wan to do my cam and larger injectors before I tune or not...:confused:

Ideally the tune should always come last, after all of the engine-related mods are done, so that the tune takes full advantage of all parts. :)

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

Thanks for chiming in CMCVEAY...

I absolutely agree that the cam/injector mods should be done on tune day. :top:

What I meant was, will I see significant gains from doing this or are the gains minor that it wouldn't be worth the investment...

Name: MINIster, 2005 MCS, Pure Silver, Black Leather, ALTA pulley (15%), Green CAI, Ireland Engineering catback exhaust, Enkei 16" wheels, Aero Kit, Window Tint.

listing what I have so far...

15% ALTA pulley

ATI Super Damper Pulley

Screaming Daemon CP

NGK cold plugs, Green CAI

ACT Fly Wheel

ACT sprung clutch

OBX Headers

Ireland Engineering exhaust

Suspension Stuff

Megan Racing Coilovers

M7 tower plates

Enkei 16" RFP 1

Adjustable Rear Sway Bar

Hotchkis Sport Control Arms

Name: MINIster, 2005 MCS, Pure Silver, Black Leather, ALTA pulley (15%), Green CAI, Ireland Engineering catback exhaust, Enkei 16" wheels, Aero Kit, Window Tint.

Abdul,

While it's hard to compare 1st vs. 2nd Gen, the difference in either (the tune) is pretty darn big.

Several months back, I ran my car on the dyno at one of Mach V's dyno days events. I had an aftermarket intercooler and DoS CAI installed for the baseline pulls. Then, we shut it down and I installed an "out of the box" tune from Alta - using the Access Port and it was an instant 10% gain in HP and 20% gain in Torque that was verfied in subsequent pulls on the dyno. No guessing, no estimating, just hard numbers. Considering the cost of that generic tune and what it did, oh yeah baby, it's worth it! A custom tune on a dyno is even more impressive because you do have so many performance mods.

When you get this done, please post your dyno sheet or at least the baseline and tuned numbers so we can all stare in amazement! :)

Craig

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

I just picked up an '04 MCS as a daily driver that was tuned/modded/etc by Behe Performance (aka Lucky Dog Garage) per the previous owner and can tell you this car goes like stink. The dyno sheets I was given showed 210 at the wheel, which at the crank factoring in a 20% loss is 262hp!

I'm going throu the list of other mods done to it besides a tune; I know some head work was done, an under drive pulley, and a cam. From what I understand, the tune was what woke the car up. If I get around to it, I'll post the dyno sheet.