TunAMini

2nd Gen wheels on a 1st Gen car

I am looking to get some rims and snow tires from my Mini this year. I came across some 15" rims that have come off of a 2nd gen mini.

Does anyone know if there are any fitment issues with using 2nd gen wheels on my 2004 without a big brake kit?

I am currently running the stock S-lites.

Thanks

Chris

I am looking to get some rims and snow tires from my Mini this year. I came across some 15" rims that have come off of a 2nd gen mini.

Does anyone know if there are any fitment issues with using 2nd gen wheels on my 2004 without a big brake kit?

I am currently running the stock S-lites.

As long as you have the stock brakes (and not the 1st Gen JCW brakes), it should be just fine. Here's some info for you:
On July 12, 2006 the size of wheel bolts was changed from M12x1.5 to M14x1.25. There exists a misconception that this change in wheel bolt size precludes fitting early OEM wheels on later model cars. This is simply not true as all OEM wheels have holes large enough for either size wheel bolt.

It's the front disk brake size that determines which OEM wheels will fit

This info is from the MINI2 Forum Wheels and Tyres FAQ.

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

Thanks Edge,

I was looking at that site prior to posting my question but just wanted to make sure that nothing has changed since that posting.

Not that I'm aware of. I doubt it would change, because it would affect all of the existing MINIs out there. Who knows what they'll do for the 3rd Gen MINI though!

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

Other than the brake fit, the only other problem usually involves putting some 1st Gen wheels on a 2nd Gen. The 1st Gen's have 12mm bolts and the 2nd Gen has 14mm bolts.

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

Other than the brake fit, the only other problem usually involves putting some 1st Gen wheels on a 2nd Gen. The 1st Gen's have 12mm bolts and the 2nd Gen has 14mm bolts.
Should not a problem for OEM wheels - any of them (quote: "all OEM wheels have holes large enough for either size wheel bolt"). Why - have you seen evidence to the contrary? Curious!

Of course, it will still be a problem with some aftermarket wheels only designed for 12mm.

Edge,

You would be correct that the issue potential for a problem "should" only involve aftermarket wheels. Of course, we all know that you would never have a problem like that because you are after all.... Mr. OEM :)

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

You would be correct that the issue potential for a problem "should" only involve aftermarket wheels. Of course, we all know that you would never have a problem like that because you are after all.... Mr. OEM :)
LOL - indeed. Your message seemed to imply that you'd seen this problem though. I'm generally curious to hear (and learn) about it if that's the case!