ZugZugMcD

It is "The Most Stubborn Screw In The World"

Well not really, but I feel like it's close.

I'm replacing the brake pads and rotors on my MINI for the first time (MoT changed the fronts 20k ago). More of a pain in the but to DIY, but it's a good learning experience. :idea:

The two rears went ok and the driver front was fine but the front passenger side rotor will not come off thanks to me stripping the screw that holds it in. I should have sprayed it with some PB Blaster first... I did give it a good tap to loosen up the rust a bit.

Used my Dremel to put a slot for a large flat head screwdriver. That wouldn't budge it. Drilled an appropriate size pilot hole and used a screw extractor - BIG MISTAKE. The extractor broke off in the hole which is a bad thing because now I can not drill the screw out.

Looks like I'll have to use the Dremel to grind out the screw head unless anyone else has any suggestions.

2009 MINI Cooper S Clubman

Had a very similar experience when replacing the rotors on Ali's TIGGER. I put some liquid wrench on it and let it sit for a while and then used a propane torch to heat the rotor for expansion. After that, I put my Torx in an impact wrench and it came right out.

Best of luck with it!

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

Rotate the rotor so that the screw is at the bottom.

Hit the back side of the rotor with a BFH. It will either brake the screw or the rotor at the bolt hole. Seriously Then you can remove the left over part of the retaining bolt.

No matter where you go, there you are!

Last night I cut the rotor around the screw then used BFH. Probably could have used SFH at that point though!:biggrin:

The new rotor is on, however it's a bear to get the rotor to stay put w/o the screw. I'll stop by MoBC today in hopes they have those screws.

2009 MINI Cooper S Clubman

:top:I know its a lil late.But i been through this many of times:banghead: its a pain in the:motz: . i ended up buying a impact screwdriver couple of hits of a hammer to it screw is loose.:rock:. this is what it looks like

Klein Tools 70220 Reversible Impact-Driver Sets 32530 Impact Tool Set

Hope it helps in the future.:top:

P.S.

Funny thing most of the time its always the last one of thing you do or put together that give you some problem or the last thing you check is the problem.:rofl::laugh::rofl:

Edited by spike08S
wrong link

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]