Little Bean

Clubman base rack for ski, bike, etc.

Does anyone know who makes the base roof rack for the Clubman? The kind that are a PIA / impossible to install. I am referring to the ones that install between the rain gutters and the roof. Also, if I remove them, will water get in the holes that are left there if i remove the base racks?

Anxious,

Evan

Drivin like a Bulldog on Coffee

Does anyone know who makes the base roof rack for the Clubman? The kind that are a PIA / impossible to install. I am referring to the ones that install between the rain gutters and the roof. Also, if I remove them, will water get in the holes that are left there if i remove the base racks?

Anxious,

Evan

Evan,

Are you talking about the removable rails for the Clubman that are used to mount cross bars and all? If so, those are BMW/MINI pieces that you can find here REALOEM.com.

I've only known one person who had those - a friend of Alan (Scavenger) and so I don't know if there's any issue with water. I do know that Catalina and Quitta have the OEM base racks and they've removed that part of the rubber to access the mounting holes so they could answer that part.

Having installed/uninstalled that type of roof rack a couple of times, I totally agree with the "PIA" assessment.

Knowing that I'd be putting a roof rack on my Clubbie, I went with the factory installed roof rails and I'm really glad that I did. I wish I could still have the JCW spoiler but it's a trade that I was willing to make.

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

Thanks for the reply. I could not find Catalina or Quitta in the community system. Could you forward my question to them for me? What i bought were OEM rails that go from drivers side to passenger side that then allow you to add a bike holder, ski rack, etc. I wish too that i had gotten the front to back roof rails installed when i bought the car. Any trick to taking off and re-installing the OEM base rack that you know of?

Thanks for your help.

Evan

Thanks for the reply. I could not find Catalina or Quitta in the community system. Could you forward my question to them for me?

Evan, don't worry, Catalina (LolaMINI) and Quitta (HzBBLUR) are regulars on this board so they should see the message string. If not you could do a search for them and PM them.

image.php?u=1000&type=sigpic&dateline=13

Ernie McStreet's facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/erniemcs.street

Second gen MINIs base racks grab onto the small black rail running forward and aft on each side. It should just be an Allen key to remove them and no leak problems. 1st gen ones needed the rubber plugs because they went through the roof panel. I think it should only take a couple min to remove them and you shouldn't have any issues

http://www.outmotoring.com/mini-cooper/mini-cooper-roof-rack.html

This site shows differences between three types of rack. It also shows the ones for if you didn't get the front to back rails. I had missed that part earlier in the post. The ones for without the front to back rails still just clips up under the rain gutter and shouldn't have any holes that go through to leak through.

Thanks everyone. Guess i have the 2nd gen rack that goes into the roof after removing the weather stripping from rain guides. will check with dealer about plugs should i decide to remove the base roof rack. Wished i had gotten the running rails when building the car. Wife thought they were silly, and pricey. Little did we know the cost of installing the base rack from the dealer 2 hours labor, from supposed experts in installing these things. I tried and could not. So now afraid to remove for fear of not being able to install. But still wanting to know who makes them for Mini.