I was initially wracking my brain trying to figure out why I wasn't getting the chirp-chirp when I power-locked the car. It finally came down to the most basic answer. For all of the bells & whistles the original owner paid extra to install, an alarm was NOT one of them. So, am I getting the stock alarm (http://www.shopminiusa.com/PRODUCT/517/MINI-ALARM-SYSTEM) which I presume will have to be installed by the dealer at dealer prices (ugh!) or am I getting any off the shelf alarm and have the kids at e.g. CarToys touch my baby? I'm even considering a Low-Jack (hey, I knew no one was going to steal my previous vehicle http://www.subarucolors.info/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/2002-Subaru-Outback-Limited-Wagon-1.jpg even if I left the doors unlocked and the keys in it, but nonetheless it did have an alarm). I'm even considering a LoJack...but I'm thinking I could be having "first-time parent" over reaction re this issue.

Feedback please. Thanks.

image.php?u=1046&type=sigpic&dateline=13

Make sure your mini is prewired for the alarm… They told me that my 2012 is not wired, and so the installs going to cost a lot more than the $500 that it would if I got it from the factory.

EH?!? I'sm sorry but I'm a bit inexperienced with this. I can't remember not having a car that didn't already have an alarm in it, so the concept that it didn't roll of the assembly line ready for one is very foreign to me.

I have heard that MINIs are currently not stolen that much. I have police (NYPD) in the family and a number of friends that are or have been members of the Fairfax Co., PG Co., and Mont. Co. police and the FBI. Everyone of them says that the Lo-Jack is worth the price (it is negotiable) and they get the car back 90-95% of the time w/in 24 hrs. Also, how many times have you heard a car alarm going off at the mall and everyone paying no attention to it. Even the dealer supported it.

I have had Ernie for just a month (Lo-Jack installed at the dealer two days after delivery) and just this morning Lo-Jack came out to verify the installation. Supposedly they do this check-up about 10% of the time to check on the installers.

Bert.

image.php?u=1000&type=sigpic&dateline=13

Ernie McStreet's facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/erniemcs.street

Yeah mine had LoJack installed when I bought it. I was more hoping for the audible cue when I press the lock button on the remote. Anyone have any ideas on how to add a chirp? Anyway, sorry to hijack the thread. Hopefully all of the action here will attract others to comment on LostDenverite's question :-)

Yeah mine had LoJack installed when I bought it. I was more hoping for the audible cue when I press the lock button on the remote. Anyone have any ideas on how to add a chirp? Anyway, sorry to hijack the thread. Hopefully all of the action here will attract others to comment on LostDenverite's question :-)

You're not jacking, you're helping. TRULY appreciate it.

I have heard that MINIs are currently not stolen that much. I have police (NYPD) in the family and a number of friends that are or have been members of the Fairfax Co., PG Co., and Mont. Co. police and the FBI. Everyone of them says that the Lo-Jack is worth the price (it is negotiable) and they get the car back 90-95% of the time w/in 24 hrs. Also, how many times have you heard a car alarm going off at the mall and everyone paying no attention to it. Even the dealer supported it.

I have had Ernie for just a month (Lo-Jack installed at the dealer two days after delivery) and just this morning Lo-Jack came out to verify the installation. Supposedly they do this check-up about 10% of the time to check on the installers.

Bert.

I think it would be a big pain in the keister to steal a MINI considering the key-fob setup. I'm leaning towards the Lo-Jack, but admittedly like bucweat and Pavlov's dogs, I'd like to hear the chirp-chirp. I've left my car unlocked several times in the past 2-weeks. With my Outback simply power-locking the doors upon exit made the alarm set once all of the doors closed. And as the power-lock switch was on the door handle, it became 2nd nature to do it that way. I'm still getting sued to the cockpit control panel set up of my MINI.

I had 2 Clubmans, both without the alarm system. My wife's R57 was ordered with the alarm (probably one of the packages). I never had problems with anyone messing with my Clubman, save for a failed attempt to steal a mirror cap.

See my PM for a bit more info...

-Jim

Without the alarm installed, there's no way to get the chirp but all is not lost. Through at least 2010 models, the car's coding can be changed to make the alarm light (built into the top of the tach on R55/R56/R57's) can be set to the "heart beat" when the car is locked. Externally, it appears as though the car has an alarm because the light is same.

If your car is pre-wired, the install doesn't have to be done by the dealer as those of us who are "jail breaking" the MINI's body control modules can actually set the vehicle options to recognize the alarm system once the box is installed.

There's actually a good article on the motoring files about the theft rate for MINI's. I did order the alarm and I was going to have a LO-JACK installed until I read that article.

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

Without the alarm installed, there's no way to get the chirp but all is not lost. Through at least 2010 models, the car's coding can be changed to make the alarm light (built into the top of the tach on R55/R56/R57's) can be set to the "heart beat" when the car is locked. Externally, it appears as though the car has an alarm because the light is same.

If your car is pre-wired, the install doesn't have to be done by the dealer as those of us who are "jail breaking" the MINI's body control modules can actually set the vehicle options to recognize the alarm system once the box is installed.

There's actually a good article on the motoring files about the theft rate for MINI's. I did order the alarm and I was going to have a LO-JACK installed until I read that article.

Story here: http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2010-08-03-car-theft-rates_N.htm

Theft database here: http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/theft/theft.cfm

Correct it shows an obscenely low rate (thieves want a Prius before a MINI?!?) but my Outback is the first car that ever survived me (I drive a wee bit more conservatively nowadays :laugh: ). I generally drive my cars until the wheels fall off (age & mileage overcome it) so I'm looking forward 5+ years from now when my buggy's parts are more valuable than having it whole (that was the case when I sold my '02 Outback as even the driver's seat upholstery was in very good condition).

I may look into the faux-lighting. Will PM you and let you know. Thanks.

A coupe of things I realized since starting this thread (and I've had my buggy a wee bit longer):

• I'm not as concerned about somebody stealing my MINI as I am about simple B&E.
  • EVERY day I question myself whether or not I remembered to lock my car before walking away. I'm Pavlov's dog, without the chirp-chirp I end up interrupting my day to go and double-check. The last time I was in the movie theater and left because I just didn't know (better to be safe than sorry).

But...I just heard back from Rockwell @ Passport and he says my MINI "does not have the correct wiring to install the alarm" which means I might as well find some other third party to install(?) as the dealer is going to rip me a knew one if they have to add wiring :banghead:

Ask around and you should get a few good recommendations.

I don't know how much work they have done on MINIs but Hurley's Auto Audio has always had a good reputation; http://hurleysautoaudio.com Hurley's used to do a lot of installs (alarm, audio, etc.) for the auto dealers up and down Route & in Tysons and Vienna. I found out about them from Tysons Jeep and Don Beyer Volvo and they did 2 radio replacements for me. They have a small shop off of 7 and the Toll Road, tucked into a light industrial area and group of auto repair and body shops. Check out their web site and give them a call.

Ask around and you should get a few good recommendations.

I don't know how much work they have done on MINIs but Hurley's Auto Audio has always had a good reputation; http://hurleysautoaudio.com Hurley's used to do a lot of installs (alarm, audio, etc.) for the auto dealers up and down Route & in Tysons and Vienna. I found out about them from Tysons Jeep and Don Beyer Volvo and they did 2 radio replacements for me. They have a small shop off of 7 and the Toll Road, tucked into a light industrial area and group of auto repair and body shops. Check out their web site and give them a call.

Thanks for the info. My posting here IS me asking around :laugh:

You got me. I'm crashing here. :sleep: I should not be reading posts after that much sushi and that long of a day at work solving the problems of other people. :banghead:

Besides this board, give a call to your sales person and they might be able to recommend a good shop, other than themselves. A number of places "farm it out" and have a third party come in and do the installs, as with the Lo-Jacks.

A coupe of things I realized since starting this thread (and I've had my buggy a wee bit longer):

• I'm not as concerned about somebody stealing my MINI as I am about simple B&E.

• EVERY day I question myself whether or not I remembered to lock my car before walking away. I'm Pavlov's dog, without the chirp-chirp I end up interrupting my day to go and double-check. The last time I was in the movie theater and left because I just didn't know (better to be safe than sorry).

But...I just heard back from Rockwell @ Passport and he says my MINI "does not have the correct wiring to install the alarm" which means I might as well find some other third party to install(?) as the dealer is going to rip me a knew one if they have to add wiring :banghead:

I think I'd pose the same question on NAM or MA. I'm told that at some point, MINI stopped wiring cars for all options and only wired them for the options that they have. That sucks as it made it so much easier to retrofit. While I trust David and respect his wisdom, I also believe in the "Trust but Verify" motto.

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

I don't know how much work they have done on MINIs but Hurley's Auto Audio has always had a good reputation; http://hurleysautoaudio.com

Response back from Hurley's:

viper 3901t 325.00 installed

features are

Door, hood, trunk, and ignition protection.

- Built-in Stinger® Doubleguard® Shock Sensor

- Revenger® 6-tone Siren

- Failsafe® Starter Kill

- Superbright LED

- Parking Light Flash

- Horn Honk Output

- AUX Output

- Optional Sensor Input (MUX) Port

Directed CANBUS security systems are all Remote Start compatible and can be used to activate an add-on remote start module such as the Avital 4003.

*Some features not available on all vehicles

Which seems to be this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0016YDJP2

Will continue to get price quotes