Shiseiji

Noob Questions

1. Lack of a water temp gage is a burr under my saddle, mostly so I can know when I can crank up the heater. Anyone done an install of S gages on a MC? I am "assuming" the wiring connection is there on all models . . or other options?

2. Is a tiny hesitation off idle normal for an MCa? Bothersome because I feel like my only other option is a jackrabbit start and the sucking sound between the engine and fuel tank.

3. I have two somewhat steep hills on my short commute (hence the not ridding the bike to work), I find the rpms will drop pretty low IMHO (1,500) without having to stick my foot in the engine or downshifting (yea paddles). Life with an auto and small engine? Just a bit surprised she doesn't down shift herself.

TIA

Ron

'08 Chili Red MCa R56

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

While I am not sure about the answers to your questions, I have a few noob questions of my own.

I am a total car noob. I am lucky if I figured out how to change out the battery for a new one. On my R52 I have the Chrono package which gives me all of the gauges on the center console. (as seen here: http://www.mini2.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=59698&d=1101324294)

I have no real idea what these gauges mean, and if they displayed something bad, I don't know that I would recognize it.

Also, on another note. It's been cold lately and it would appear that my MINI would like me to know that. Every now and then It will ding at me and flash the outside temp. If it were just starting up, I would guess that it meant that it needed to warm up more, but it will sometimes do it after I have been driving for a while. Hopefully that's not bad.

Anyone wanna learn up a noob?

Thanks!

Steve "Wizzer" P.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]2009 MINI Clubman S R55 "BATTPODD"

I'll see if I can get both sets of questions in order.

In the 2nd Gens (2007+ for all but the Cabrio), there usually aren't ANY gauges, or at least none that aren't a rather expensive option. Check out the options at places like Alta and Craven Speed who specialize in aftermarket gauges for MINI's. If you want to get really cool check out the stuff from PLX but you better bring your high limit credit card 'cause they want some serious $$$.

Other options would be a scan gauge, or the Kiwi device (to name a few). Those read the temps and pressures right from the OBDII port and they display on Android or iOS phones with the right apps.

As far as turning on the heater? If you have the auto climate control option, the heater won't turn on until the engine reaches the appropriate temp. Not sure about it without the option - anyone else know?

A little hesitation is "normal" for the MC and MCS (and JCW). The S and JCW's have the option of turning on the sport button to get rid of that to some degree. If it's a real PITA, you could look into the Sprint Booster - not certain that they are made for the MC but it's worth the time to research.

1,500 isn't all that low considering the idle RPM is around 950 RPM but if the auto isn't shifting down to 1st gear, that could be causing it to be sluggish.

Wizzer - The larger circle to the left is your oil pressure and oil temperature. The upper circle is your water temp.

Don't freak out if the water temp reaches and holds 210-220. That's actually normal. As a former Orange Blooded Bow-Tie fanatic (that's a fan of Chevrolet), I never wanted to see the high side of 190-200 so it took some time to adjust.

Our cars like to tell us when the temps hit 37 degrees. In the right conditions, some road surfaces can begin freezing when the "felt" temp is there. If it's 37 or less when you start it up, it'll tell you then. if it's above when you start up and then, you find colder temps while driving, it'll let you know that it's dropped below that magic number.

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

. . . or at least none that aren't a rather expensive option.
yes, stumbled across the factory set on Amazon. Hard to justify. :frown:

. . . If you have the auto climate control option, the heater won't turn on until the engine reaches the appropriate temp.
LOL, so leaving it on on "A" is a good thing :stupid:

A little hesitation is "normal" for the MC and MCS (and JCW). The S and JCW's have the option of turning on the sport button to get rid of that to some degree. If it's a real PITA, you could look into the Sprint Booster - not certain that they are made for the MC but it's worth the time to research.

I am going to do the intake valve flush, see what that does.

1,500 isn't all that low considering the idle RPM is around 950 RPM but if the auto isn't shifting down to 1st gear, that could be causing it to be sluggish.

I was thinking about the same, but figured I would ask.

Thanks much.

Ron

'08 Chili Red MCa R56

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]