RyanMBlue

Blacked out parts

I have seen a bunch of Minis with blacked out taillights, grills, etc. (Not literally black, but a very dark tint would be more accurate)

Where do you go about finding pricing for that type of thing, and anyone have any suggestions for vendors?

I assume that things like a grill or a taillight cover would be easy to self-install, but correct me if I am wrong.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

So the things I have found on http://www.mossmini.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=85649 leads me to believe that all the tinted lights are actually just film, and not replacement light covers.

If that is correct, that makes my plans a lot cheaper. Is that right?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There's all kinds of ways to black things out.

For example there's the joey mod which Craig did, he literally put his headlights in the oven to loosen the seal, pried them apart and painted the inside black.

You can black out your chrome by painting it with plasti-dip, or buy blacked out pieces that fit over your chrome, or vinyl over it.

I just bought some mostly blacked out tail lights because my R52 tail lights have the chrome inside the glass.

Ali

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

Also slightly confused if the films are the way to go.

For things like this: http://www.mossmini.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=85649

Colored Lens Protection - Taillight, Smoked

Do I buy two, or do they come as a set? There is nothing mentioned about there being a single lens film or a set of 2, but there is also nothing about "Left vs. Right", so I don't know.

Anyone that has these films, please let me know, trying to get Christmas list ideas together :p

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There's all kinds of ways to black things out.

For example there's the joey mod which Craig did, he literally put his headlights in the oven to loosen the seal, pried them apart and painted the inside black.

You can black out your chrome by painting it with plasti-dip, or buy blacked out pieces that fit over your chrome, or vinyl over it.

I just bought some mostly blacked out tail lights because my R52 tail lights have the chrome inside the glass.

Ali

Eh, the "Joey Mod" idea kind of scares me. I am not a big Mr. Fixit type of person, so the idea of ripping parts of my car apart isn't my cup of tea. I am more than willing to install pre-altered products to my car, however.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ryan,

The Joey mod sounds far harder than it actually is but I understand what you are saying.

Take a look at this link http://www.rvinyl.com/headlighttint/mini.html and take a look at their covers. I used a set of these to see if I liked the darker headlights and I did so I went to the Joey mod. The material that these things are made of is super tough and I have a set of clear that I'm going to put on just to protect my headlights. They have different colors and they come in sets. I also have a set for my front fog lights.

Now, are they legal? I don't know. I pulled 'em off and went with the Joey mod before I did my safety inspection. Now, if ya "know" people, give it a go.

Basically, there are no replacement covers for the 2nd Gen, just films/materials to cover the lens.

If you do get 'em, make sure you have a heatgun, it makes the install much easier.

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

So I asked the google if the tinted headlights are legal and I don't see anything stating that they are not.

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Safety.shtm

5. - INSPECT HEADLIGHTS FOR:

• Approved type, aim, and output.
  • Condition of lamp, wiring and switch.
  • Beam indicator.

Nothing else on the page gets into headlights. There is a section on tinting but it doesn't mention headlights, just the windows.

Ali

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

swapped out the chrome grill trim for black a couple wks ago..picked it up at mach v motors (sterling, va) during last oil/filter change..looks sweet..have to get the windows tinted next (& a sunroof decal?)

2010 MCS camden ed. midnite blk met.

I can tell you from the past tinted headlights and tail lights are not going to pass VA inspection, I had spare sets for my gto that I would have to switch in for the inspection.

2009 MINI Clubman Factory JCW CR/B

Helix BOV, DDM CAI, Helix STS, 35% tint, Black R113 wheels, eibach pro kit, 8000K 55w HID's.

2006 MINI Cooper S PS/B 176 fwhp/ 165 fwtq SOLD

2004 Pontiac GTO BLK 389 rwhp / 454 rwtq SOLD

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]