MINI_Voyager

Bad gas or sticky valves or what?

What you just described is pretty much how I use the clutch. Especially if I'm the first car at a light, then I want to take advantage of the spot of open road when the light turns green.

That's what I pretty much do. If I'm first at a light, I try to time my shifting into gear just before the light turn green (usually by judging from cross-street lights turning yellow to red, or judging the on-coming left turning traffic. Sometimes I wish we would adopt the European's changing light pattern in which the yellow would come on (while red is still on) and then change to only green. That way the yellow light would signal us to prepare to move (usually changing into gear in Europe where most cars are sticks). But I know most folks here would just start accelerating the very moment the light turn green, without checking for red-light running traffic... Oh well.

In stop-and-go traffic, I've usually just kept the car in gear, with clutch down, ready to move along. I'm just wondering if there isn't' a better way, but I can't really think of any other way.

Hi all, I'm not sure if i'm posting in the right thread however I'm sure someone may have good advice for me. My 07' Mini S now sits at Passport Mini with two broken exhaust valves in Cylinder 4. In order to find this they completed a full engine tear down which I'm not sure was necessary to find the two broken and chipped valves. Passport is now Asking for $4,000 to replace the two valves. Has anyone had this issue before and is 4 grand worth the repair. The car has 68000 miles on it and I still owe a great deal to pay it off. I purchased it 6 months ago.

Thanks again

Greg