If you're sick of those dang TPMS alarms going off - MoS has added nitrogen - the benefit is it keeps your MINI tire at a more consistent tire pressure and less vunerable to the vagaries of our always fluctuating temperature.

Cost is $69.00 - the techs drained my tires of normal air last week and replaced it with nitrogen and green valve stem covers. Car corners a lot better and I'm getting better gas mileage.

See your SA (service advisor) at MoS if interested in having it done.

Krutty.

I can confirm this as well. The tank is labeled; we actually have one tank in the service lane as well as the one in the shop.

As for customers being allowed to go back and watch, i'm not quite sure about that; but behind the BMW service writers are glass windows that allow you to see into the shop.

'03 JB MCS- SOLD: JCW front bumper, intake, exhaust, brakes, CF dash, 15% pulley, Multifunction Steering Wheel retrofit, Euro white taillights, Factory Driving Lights, Wyvern Motorsports Rear Seat Delete, and more....

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Back in High School I told the jerky kid across the street that he needed to change his tires over to 'Summer Air'. I told him that since he had 'Winter Air' in his tires he'd never get an accurate pressure reading and that he needed to 'drain' the more dense 'Winter Air' and refill his tires with the current less dense air. I lectured him at length about cooler gases being more dense etc. Like most good B.S. there were just enough points in it he thought he understood to get him to buy it hook line and sinker.

The best part is he used one of the really cheap 12V cig lighter powered ones and it took probably 20 minutes per tire. :D

I have 12 plus bottles of dry nitrogen at work for the aircraft I work on. Might be able to do a few cars for free. I never change my air out over winter to summer. I know it makes some people feel better to do so

2009 MINI Clubman Factory JCW CR/B

Helix BOV, DDM CAI, Helix STS, 35% tint, Black R113 wheels, eibach pro kit, 8000K 55w HID's.

2006 MINI Cooper S PS/B 176 fwhp/ 165 fwtq SOLD

2004 Pontiac GTO BLK 389 rwhp / 454 rwtq SOLD

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The exact same stuff, right? If so, sign me up! :)

No harm in adding regular air in later, I hope... since my wheels won't have the little green caps on them as a reminder they are filled with nitrogen.

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

No harm in adding regular air in later, I hope... since my wheels won't have the little green caps on them as a reminder they are filled with nitrogen.

Yeah just alot more per a bottle since it's aviation grade.

2009 MINI Clubman Factory JCW CR/B

Helix BOV, DDM CAI, Helix STS, 35% tint, Black R113 wheels, eibach pro kit, 8000K 55w HID's.

2006 MINI Cooper S PS/B 176 fwhp/ 165 fwtq SOLD

2004 Pontiac GTO BLK 389 rwhp / 454 rwtq SOLD

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Kurt - question regarding the MoS Nitrogen service... does it include "top-up" refills for the life of the tires?

Just curious. I think I saw that somewhere online (from a BMW dealership, I believe) when I did some browsing on this.

Obviously, part of the idea with Nitrogen is that there will be less leakage (as the molecules are larger... no smaller Oxygen molecules in the gas mix to leak out)... but eventually, over time, the tires will probably need a top-up. It would be nice to know I wouldn't have to pay another $69 to do it - at least until I get new tires again.

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

I keep my air molecules in with one of these little gadgets, only $4. :D

21M2P5SMR2L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

2006 MCS, SB/S , "B.A."

• Performance: DINAN "Stage 5" tune, throttle body, boost kit (fuel pump, pulley), & CAI; JCW exhaust sans resonator, brakes, & GP IC; DDM IC diverter; CSF Racing Aluminum Radiator
  • Suspension: DINAN front strut brace; Alta 22mm rear bar; KW V1 coil-overs; H-Sport adjustable rear control arms; CravenSpeed strut underators
  • Interior: CravenSpeed gauge mounts with Cooper S boost and voltage, & shift well cover
  • Wheels: Enkei PF01 17"
  • Audio: Kenwood Excelon KDC-X994 HU; MTX Terminator speakers F&B

Alan @ opensource.com

I used to work with aircraft also, I recall that N is supposed to reduce the way rubber ages to some extent...( make tires last longer:top:)used it for years with no ill effects. I think it expands and contracts with temps less than o2.

If I'm wrong:questionmark:, this should bring the chemists out of the closet or lab as it may be.

If dry air is insufficient, then the sensor design is crap. ( like no thermal compensation). Air is 78% nitrogen. It is the moisture that is the problem, along with bad engineering and a slick way to extract $69 from gullible folks for a service that used to be free. Somebody say that race cars use it as they worry about 1/4 lb. and figured a way to make money. P.T. Barnum would be proud.

If dry air is insufficient, then the sensor design is crap. ( like no thermal compensation). Air is 78% nitrogen. It is the moisture that is the problem, along with bad engineering and a slick way to extract $69 from gullible folks for a service that used to be free. Somebody say that race cars use it as they worry about 1/4 lb. and figured a way to make money. P.T. Barnum would be proud.
If:

• it lasts longer before needing a top-up, therefore keeping the tires at the correct pressure for longer... and increasing the life of the tires

• the tires stay at a more consistent pressure with temperature changes, therefore behaving more consistently in various weather and driving conditions

• refills are free (they are, I checked)

...then it isn't a question of "gullibility" and more a question of "is it worth it to me".

I know very well that normal air works fine. You're perfectly within your rights to tell me I am wasting my money, but that's a final determination only -I- am qualified to make. It's worth it to me. I've spent plenty of money on my MINI that many people would consider a total waste. Do I care? Nope. It's my MINI, so I'm going to do what I want with it. You do the same, as we all do. I'm not going to judge you or your decisions for your own MINI. That's your preference.

Yes, checking (and topping up) the tire pressure once a week or so will have the same effect of ensuring the pressure is kept consistent. You know what? I'm a busy guy, and I don't want to have to check it as often. That alone is worth the $69 to me.

Getting it free from someone like Jason (LV2CRNR) is only icing on the cake, if the option is there.

Sorry Edge, you have fallen hook line and sinker for the marketing wienies.

Air does not "last". Valves and beads leak. It has nothing to do with if it is 80 or 100 % nitrogen. Factory tires seem to hold air better as the bead was nice and clean when the tire was mounted.

Tires last longer? Yea, they do. In museums where they are expected to last 50 or 100 years. Totally irrelevant for the street.

More consistant? Well, I am afraid the 1/8 Lb or so difference you will never know. If yoyu are racing in NASCAR, OK a difference. Street? No.

Does not hurt. If it is free, fine. DRY is what is important and bottled N will be dry. Of course, that is useless after the wheel shop slobbers water and soap all over the bead to mount the new tires!

Do as you wish. I don' begrudge the industry for being creative. Capitalism is great. I am offering some reasonable advice to others who may not understand it is basically a sham just like strut bars, so they can spend their money on things that actually make a car go fast. Rubber, alignment, an day with an instructor.....

I don't begrudge your intent of informing everyone about your perspective on Nitrogen use in tires.

What bothered me was being labeled as gullible. I did the research too... and although there was plenty of grounds for skepticism, there was also enough ambiguity (and no downside, other than the money), that I considered it something I wanted in my car.

Is it critical? Is it crucial? Is it game-changing? No. Is it more important than the many other, more proven things you can do for your MINI (including self-education)? Nope.

However, boldly labeling anyone that has it as gullible is premature, short-sighted and quite frankly, rude. It's not as though anybody here (including me) has proclaimed that it's the best thing since sliced bread.

Skepticism is healthy, throwing veiled insults (however slight and harmless they may seem) is not. Your points against the value of Nitrogen use could still have been made equally well without saying "gullible", "P.T. Barnum" and "falling for the marketing wienies".

nascar uses nitrogen in their tires so there must be something to it. :top: But i have no idea if its worth it for daily driving. This is what forums are for to try out new ideas,see what works what doesnt and get some feedback on it.

nascar uses nitrogen in their tires so there must be something to it. :top: But i have no idea if its worth it for daily driving. This is what forums are for to try out new ideas,see what works what doesnt and get some feedback on it.

NASCAR is trying to adjust the predicted hot pressures down to 1/4 Lb or less. That is their primary method of adjusting spring rates for a balance between 4 specific corners. Consider: NSACAR uses carbs, not because they perform better, but to reduce cost. Understand the reasoning before you transfer a decision from one set of requirements to another.

I stand by simple reality, for street use it has no advantage over air. Basic physics.

Hey, I have fallen for false claims and bought useless things too. Never feels good when you find out. Gullibility is a human trait. We all have it. Chill.

Air does not "last". Valves and beads leak. It has nothing to do with if it is 80 or 100 % nitrogen. Factory tires seem to hold air better as the bead was nice and clean when the tire was mounted.

Tires last longer? Yea, they do. In museums where they are expected to last 50 or 100 years. Totally irrelevant for the street.

More consistant? Well, I am afraid the 1/8 Lb or so difference you will never know. If yoyu are racing in NASCAR, OK a difference. Street? No.

Does not hurt. If it is free, fine. DRY is what is important and bottled N will be dry. Of course, that is useless after the wheel shop slobbers water and soap all over the bead to mount the new tires!

All true. Nitrogen, in my opinion, is not worth paying for.

--Dan

Mach V

FastMINI.net