Brian0758

Wednesday AM departure group

You guys should have the I-40 option directly from I-81, as it is scheduled to open up on Tuesday. I'm probably going to do it this way, since I'm leaving on Monday:

I-66

I-81

I-26 to Asheville

Then on from there (40, 74, 28).

A word of warning to anyone else who decides to take that route though... I've done it once before - there are lots of speedtraps on I-26. It's a shame too, as it has some nice fast bends up in the mountains - beautiful drive.

Cruise control is your friend. :smile:

Katie and I have arrived!! This is the route we took (I think... Katie led). We did see a few LEOs on 26, but too bad. I would still probably take it easy.

I was surprised at how quick the trip was. It's possible this was actually faster than the "usual" route.

So far, the weather is beautiful! I've only seen one other MINI so far (besides mine and Katie's) and I've yet to figure out whose it is.

See everyone soon!!

image.php?u=8&type=sigpic&dateline=14186

Hey Laura, Glad you all made it down safely and I would guess you are enjoying a cold adult beverage by now. Just curious how long it took Katie and you to get to the MOTD? See ya Wednesday, Brian :top:

It took us a little over 9 hours, I think. Since we stopped for the night on Saturday, it's harder to know exactly and I didn't keep good track of it. Today, we left from Abingdon, VA about 8:30am and we arrived at Fontana around 12:15pm.

image.php?u=8&type=sigpic&dateline=14186

I'm glad you had a nice trip down. We'll eait and see whta Haemish has to offer on the route and time. See you on Wednesday

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] MR EZ; 06 MCS HB/HB, Sport, Conv, Cold, Areo Kit, Rack, JCW wing, rear fog and lots of nice stickers

Interestingly enough, according to Tail of the Dragon, I-40 opened TODAY (Sunday) at 6pm, several days earlier than announced before. I might just take that route tomorrow instead of I-26. :smile:

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

Excellent, let us know how that route goes if you do. I think it will be slightly quicker than 26.

Interestingly enough, according to Tail of the Dragon, I-40 opened TODAY (Sunday) at 6pm, several days earlier than announced before. I might just take that route tomorrow instead of I-26. :smile:

2006 MCS, SB/S , "B.A."

• Performance: DINAN "Stage 5" tune, throttle body, boost kit (fuel pump, pulley), & CAI; JCW exhaust sans resonator, brakes, & GP IC; DDM IC diverter; CSF Racing Aluminum Radiator
  • Suspension: DINAN front strut brace; Alta 22mm rear bar; KW V1 coil-overs; H-Sport adjustable rear control arms; CravenSpeed strut underators
  • Interior: CravenSpeed gauge mounts with Cooper S boost and voltage, & shift well cover
  • Wheels: Enkei PF01 17"
  • Audio: Kenwood Excelon KDC-X994 HU; MTX Terminator speakers F&B

Alan @ opensource.com

I plan to get somewhat of a head-start on the Wednesday morning departure group by staying Tuesday night at our place at the beginning of the Blue Ridge Parkway (i.e., Wintergreen). However, I would still appreciate a few cell phone numbers from the group in case of trouble, and if I encounter any unexpected obstacles or detours I will be happy to report. Mine is 703-795-5000. TIA.

Edited by JAB 67
typo

JAB 67

Fairfax, VA

2004 MCS, PW/B

I just updated the RSVP for the Wed. departure group again. Edge had a good point that everyone could see this. I forgot you didn't need to be logged in. I'll send a group PM that each of us can reply to with a cell number.

Edited by keckert
Better request for sharing cell numbers

I just updated the RSVP for the Wed. departure group requesting everyone to re-RSVP and add your cell number and first name. Print off the list on Tuesday night and we'll all have each others cell phone if needed.
FYI - there's a downside to doing that... the Calendar and Events forum are both public, so your phone numbers would be visible to the entire Internet if you put them in your RSVP.

Perhaps a group PM would be a better alternative?

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

FYI - there's a downside to doing that... the Calendar and Events forum are both public, so your phone numbers would be visible to the entire Internet if you put them in your RSVP.

Perhaps a group PM would be a better alternative?

Thanks! Forgot about that. I"ve updated both messages and will send the group PM.

We'll have to keep up on traffic to see if that single westbound lane is causing a backup. Ya know everyone will be rubber-necking at the rockslide location and the 18 wheelers will be slowing everything down...

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

My wife's getting ready. Once she's dressed we'll finish packing and head out. We're going west on 7 to 81, so don't expect us at the Centreville Starbucks - we'll run into each other on 81 :top:

Which reminds me - whomever gets to 81 first should call the other (me vs group).

-Jim

Wow...I can't believe it's Monday already. Great trip and thanks to all the Wednesday caravan. Traveling there made the fun of MOTD8 start 9 hours earlier for us! Can't wait until next year!

See you all at the next event for DCMM.