Brian0758

Wednesday AM departure group

I always call a week or 2 out. Considering I booked in July, and they took my deposit... then they say they refunded it. I'd better look, because I don't recall that.

EDIT: nope, no refund. Hopefully a clerical error.

EDIT: Clerical error. The original confirmation number was canceled out, but they had me under a different confirmation number. I feel better now :)

Glad it worked out!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminds me that I need to call and confirm my reservation too.

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

You guys made me a little nervous! I had to check on my res as well. I'm all set!

Thankfully I changed my res to two queens now that my Lil Brother is coming. I still get upset thinking about sharing a bed with that little brat when we were kids! :hahaha:

2009 MCS, HzB/B, CWP, PP, "BLUR" MOTORING ID: SOAR143 - MINI Community Service

2013 JCW GP, Thunder Grey, "SMOKIE" MOTORING ID: FAST060

2014 MCS Clubman, Highclass Gray, "THE ADMIRAL" 

I always call a week or 2 out. Considering I booked in July, and they took my deposit... then they say they refunded it. I'd better look, because I don't recall that.

EDIT: nope, no refund. Hopefully a clerical error.

EDIT: Clerical error. The original confirmation number was canceled out, but they had me under a different confirmation number. I feel better now :)

WHEW!!! Glad it all worked out!! :top:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] In loving memory of Cecilia

Let me try this again! OK, I remapped two different routes in Google Maps, so here they are:

Fontana via Asheville 540 miles, 9 hrs, 14 min <---According to everyone I've talked to, this should be quickest

Fontana via Smokies 544 miles, 9 hrs, 40 min

I sure hope these links work this time! :pcguru:

Edited by Scavenger
add comment on route

2006 MCS, SB/S , "B.A."

• Performance: DINAN "Stage 5" tune, throttle body, boost kit (fuel pump, pulley), & CAI; JCW exhaust sans resonator, brakes, & GP IC; DDM IC diverter; CSF Racing Aluminum Radiator
  • Suspension: DINAN front strut brace; Alta 22mm rear bar; KW V1 coil-overs; H-Sport adjustable rear control arms; CravenSpeed strut underators
  • Interior: CravenSpeed gauge mounts with Cooper S boost and voltage, & shift well cover
  • Wheels: Enkei PF01 17"
  • Audio: Kenwood Excelon KDC-X994 HU; MTX Terminator speakers F&B

Alan @ opensource.com

Not to confuse the issue even more, but the Fontana via Smokies could easily take longer than google maps thinks. There is a lot of traffic getting through Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge plus lots of red lights. The road through the Smokies is a great road, very scenic and twisty but it is also two lanes and can be very slow if you get behind the wrong traffic.

If you all are in a hurry to get to Fontana, I'd stick with the Asheville route. You can always do the 71/441 route on the way home or as one of the drives while you are there.

Didn't mean to horn in. I've been on both these routes so I thought I'd share my experience. picture.php?albumid=4&pictureid=26

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There is a lot of traffic getting through Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge plus lots of red lights.------If you all are in a hurry to get to Fontana, I'd stick with the Asheville route.

That was my thought also. I have driven through the tourist trap AKA Gatlinburg and the traffic/red lights can slow you down to a snail's pace.

I am still up for whatever route the group decides. :motor: We should try to get together during the Spring Fling on Sunday and chat about the route.

See ya all soon :rock:

2012 Jeep Rubicon

I'm glad you like it, but I actually would prefer getting there quicker. So, if there is a quicker route, then great. By quicker, I suppose a difference of 30 minutes or less is probably insignificant - in which case I say, "take the fun route".

Brian, I'll check out your route an compare.

We're good with either route but as first timers, would prefer to get there a little earlier too. Either way we go, we're with you.

Here is a Starbucks close to the intersection of routes 28 and 29.

14155 Saint Germain Drive, Centreville, VA 20121

Since it is closer to 66 it probably is a better location :biggrin:

So we should get a count of who's going to join us for the Wednesday AM drive. I'll have my radio on (Ch7/21) also so we can hear any late comers. Brian, can you create an RSVP on this post to get a headcount?

So we should get a count of who's going to join us for the Wednesday AM drive. I'll have my radio on (Ch7/21) also so we can hear any late comers. Brian, can you create an RSVP on this post to get a headcount?

Hey Ken not to sure about how to setup a RSVP so I will just do a list. So far this is who is interest:

Brian0758

Keckert

HzBBlur

Scavenger

Mr EZ

cmcveay (a maybe)

MMatarella (a maybe)

As we had discussed prior the earlier the quicker we get there. My thought was wheels up by 6am and we will meet at the Starbucks in Centreville (see prior post for location)

Lets talk this Sunday and confirm the time :rock:

2012 Jeep Rubicon

Hey Ken not to sure about how to setup a RSVP so I will just do a list. So far this is who is interest:

Brian0758

Keckert

HzBBlur

Scavenger

Mr EZ

cmcveay (a maybe)

MMatarella (a maybe)

As we had discussed prior the earlier the quicker we get there. My thought was wheels up by 6am and we will meet at the Starbucks in Centreville (see prior post for location)

Lets talk this Sunday and confirm the time :rock:

Sounds good Brian. I think we need to add Edge to this group too, but not sure. Let's definitely talk on Sunday at the run.

Meanwhile, I'll try Laura's idea of adding the Wed Departure group to the calendar. I agree with you on wheels up at 0600. We're signed up for the new comer orientation and the welcome dinner. I don't want to miss that. And we'll want to allow time for stops along the way....especially with all the coffee drinkers! :)

Cool, we shouldn't need to add Edge though, he's going down on Sat or Sun I think. Also, Daniel (D-Unit) might be joining also.

2006 MCS, SB/S , "B.A."

• Performance: DINAN "Stage 5" tune, throttle body, boost kit (fuel pump, pulley), & CAI; JCW exhaust sans resonator, brakes, & GP IC; DDM IC diverter; CSF Racing Aluminum Radiator
  • Suspension: DINAN front strut brace; Alta 22mm rear bar; KW V1 coil-overs; H-Sport adjustable rear control arms; CravenSpeed strut underators
  • Interior: CravenSpeed gauge mounts with Cooper S boost and voltage, & shift well cover

Alan @ opensource.com

I think we need to add Edge to this group too, but not sure.

Cool, we shouldn't need to add Edge though, he's going down on Sat or Sun I think.
Yep - very kind of you all, but I'm leaving on the Sunday prior. :smile:

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

Route opening

As was posted on some other threads, it looks like I40 is reopening. Maybe we should see if this gives us another alternative that might be faster. I'll look at the routes again over the weekend.

2006 MCS, SB/S , "B.A."

Alan @ opensource.com

4 those of u traveling next week (or anytime, 4 that matter), I just got this emale from a friend of mine, and the only states where this doesn't apply are MD, DC and HI.

Check it out here.

It should apply everywhere. Common sense. I always try to move over and give LEOs and other emergency vehicles lots of space when I see them on the side of the road all lit up.

What was the final decision on our route for Wednesday?

I'm getting antsy and really looking forward to hitting the road with everyone. It's kinda like Christmas! Wait all year for it to arrive and the week before just starts to drrraaaggggggg!

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

its the law in VA, they have it on their bumpers

4 those of u traveling next week (or anytime, 4 that matter), I just got this emale from a friend of mine, and the only states where this doesn't apply are MD, DC and HI.

Check it out here.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] MR EZ; 06 MCS HB/HB, Sport, Conv, Cold, Areo Kit, Rack, JCW wing, rear fog and lots of nice stickers

Alan is working on it. We should know soon. Haemish :biggrin: and others will probably report to us once he gets down there.

What was the final decision on our route for Wednesday?

I'm getting antsy and really looking forward to hitting the road with everyone. It's kinda like Christmas! Wait all year for it to arrive and the week before just starts to drrraaaggggggg!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] MR EZ; 06 MCS HB/HB, Sport, Conv, Cold, Areo Kit, Rack, JCW wing, rear fog and lots of nice stickers

You guys should have the I-40 option directly from I-81, as it is scheduled to open up on Tuesday. I'm probably going to do it this way, since I'm leaving on Monday:

I-66

I-81

I-26 to Asheville

Then on from there (40, 74, 28).

A word of warning to anyone else who decides to take that route though... I've done it once before - there are lots of speedtraps on I-26. It's a shame too, as it has some nice fast bends up in the mountains - beautiful drive.

Cruise control is your friend. :smile:

Yep, that *was* our route plan, and thanks for the speedtrap warning. However, with the news of the re-opening of I-40, We'll probably change the route slightly since I believe I-40 will be faster than I-26 AND hopefully have less speedtraps. I just haven't had time to review the maps yet. Something to do this weekend :biggrin:

You guys should have the I-40 option directly from I-81, as it is scheduled to open up on Tuesday. I'm probably going to do it this way, since I'm leaving on Monday:

I-66

I-81

I-26 to Asheville

Then on from there (40, 74, 28).

A word of warning to anyone else who decides to take that route though... I've done it once before - there are lots of speedtraps on I-26. It's a shame too, as it has some nice fast bends up in the mountains - beautiful drive.

Cruise control is your friend. :smile:

2006 MCS, SB/S , "B.A."

Alan @ opensource.com