1975_mini

MINI Novice AutoX School

Event Title: MINI Novice AutoX School

Event Date: 03/26/2023 08:00 AM to 03/26/2023 04:00 PM

Event Address: Summit Point Motorsports Park, 201 Motorsports Park Cir, Summit Point, WV, 25446

NOTICE: SOLD OUT!!

Loaner helmets are in short supply (1-L, and 1-XL)

No medium helmets remaining

When: March 26, 2023

Where: Summit Point Raceway, West Virginia

Time: 8am to 4pm

Lunch: included

Things to bring: Your MINI, Helmet (loaners available on request), a fun attitude

Cost: Early bird Price is $150 (1 Feb to 28 Feb) / Regular Price $175 (1 Mar to 25 Mar)

Buy Your ticket here

What is Autocross? Autocross is a safe, low-speed motorsport where competitors drive against the clock to turn in the best times as they navigate a driving course defined by orange parking cones in a large, open lot.

image.png

What can I expect?  Autocross school is the best way  to learn more about autocross and improve your driving performance through in-car instruction by some of the best instructors in the Washington DC area. Come join us for a fun and educational day filled with safe but adrenaline raising motorsport.

image.png

Class is in session: Sessions will include a variety of topics to help novice participants better understand what goes on in a day of autocross, and what they will likely be seeing and hearing around them as they participate in the motorsport. Instruction on how to prepare both the car and driver for autocross, tech inspect, work a course, and safety topics will get you up to speed with the day-of operations for participating in autocross. Then, drivers will learn how to make the most of their runs by examining techniques like walking the course to determine good run lines, throttle modulation (your gas pedal is not an on-off switch!), and when to brake. Discussions will also cover basic handling conditions such as 'oversteer' and 'understeer' you may have heard of, and how to correct them, and try to prevent these issues to give you your best runs.

image.png

Learn by doingIt's time to put all of your newfound knowledge to work. Get ready to buckle up and drive, as you will get run after run to put your training and skills to the test with a series of handling and stopping challenges as you gear up to run a full autocross course. With one of our excellent instructors at your side, you will continue to receive guidance to improve your performance and lower your lap times. As you learn how to pick your turn-in points, choose your braking zones and work the throttle wisely, you will notice a consistent improvement in how your car handles confidently and smartly through the sea of cones.

There is no better way to get started in autocross than with the NCC Autocross school. Whether you've done a few events in the past, or if you've never been out to a course before, you'll find the program educational and the skills you learn useful not just on the autocross course, but for all of the driving you do. Instructor are ready to answer any questions you will have and will ensure you get personalized attention and instruction to overcome any concerns or issues. 

If you have any questions or are interested in attending please comment below, as we would like to get a general idea on the number of members that would like to participate, also please say if you would like a loaner helmet. Official ticket sales will be posted in the new year

RSVP on the event here: 

• Like 2

1975Mini001.jpg

1975 Mini 1000, 998cc A+ w/ K&N air filter, 10" Mamba wheels

Registered users, if you have found your way to this post looking for information to sign up for the Autocross school, registration is currently only open for paid club members as a benefit of their membership. We will open registration for all on February 8th.

If you have been considering a DCMM membership anyway, individual yearly memberships are $26, and couple's yearly memberships are $35, membership purchase can be found in the DCMM STORE

12 hours ago, FlockWSO said:

For those who have maybe done this before, is there an insurance consideration to be aware of?  I'm not necessarily worried about an incident in the described course, but it's probably best to be informed.  Thx!

The club has liability coverage for the event, but this covers the club for any resulting damages to the facility. Driver sign a liability waiver at the event, if you have participated in a BMW NCC autocross event in the past it is the same one. 

Driver's should review the own insurance cover as most all do not cover track events, and you could get additional coverage for the day if you would like. That being said, autocross is conducted in a large open area with cones as the barriers of the course with plenty of run off areas. Additionally there is no side by side racing, you are racing th clock in this event. Accidents are very rare, but as with anyware not impossible.

The most common car injury is a scuff mark from a cone, which usually just rub off.

Flock, Thank you for mentioning this, and I hope I provided a good understanding that will be having there first experience. We understand most attendees will be at there first event and we have very experienced instructors and have a crawl-walk-run approach.

1975Mini001.jpg

1975 Mini 1000, 998cc A+ w/ K&N air filter, 10" Mamba wheels

This is an excellent question re: insurance, particularly if the club will be scheduling future autocross events. In this particular case, I wonder if it might be a bit different since this might be considered a training exercise/class. I plan to call my insurance company this week and check. Better safe than sorry… 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, FlockWSO said:

For those who have maybe done this before, is there an insurance consideration to be aware of?  I'm not necessarily worried about an incident in the described course, but it's probably best to be informed.  Thx!

I agree with everything Corey said, but also want to add that there are insurance policies available that will cover your vehicle while participating in autocross, if that's something you're interested in. I participate in the full NCC autocross season each year and have never carried one of these policies, and I don't believe many people do, but it is an option. To me, the risk of damage is so low that it doesn't seem worth it, but that's everyone's choice to make on their own.

I can't recommend any specific insurers since I don't have experience with them, but from a quick search, it looks like at least Lockton and Hagerty offer policies like this.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SneakyBaron said:

@Superluminal sure thing!

Please sign the e waiver before the event: https://ews.bmwcca.org/sign/01gp3hjkvvrqhyd9rbesr7m7y8

Done!   Thanks for the quick reply.

FYI for anyone else:  My desktop Mac Mini does not have a camera, so the site gave me a warning to 'use the button for a selfie' and there was no button.  I moved to my laptop and then the button appeared.