CARdiac

LCA bushing replacement

Has anyone replaced their own lower control arm bushings? I am planning this in November and was looking for advice and a local resource.

Joel

My Flickr Site

The proud owner of a 2005 DS/B MCS-JCW...God is my Co-Pilot, but Satan has his foot on the Gas!!!

Half of a two JCW family, I am the fast one!

What's the big deal? Remove bushing and press out the old, press in the new and get an alignment.

I've got a lift and 20 ton press in the garage...

Thank you for your help.

Joel

My Flickr Site

The proud owner of a 2005 DS/B MCS-JCW...God is my Co-Pilot, but Satan has his foot on the Gas!!!

Half of a two JCW family, I am the fast one!

There are a ton of threads about this over on NAM. Good stuff, tips and a vendor selling bushings already pressed in, and send back old units for core charge back.

I just came from dealer and got same news. (Need control arm bushings). Deferred for a few weeks and while my $ recovers and preps for this. In the meantime I'm going to research what else might make sense to do at same time. I've read to check sway bar bushings and ball joints while it's apart.

Dealer quoted $760.00 so I'll be looking around too. I suspect I'll be making a call to Mach V in a few weeks.

Edited by MMatarella

We just did the LCA bushings on the daughters Cabrio. I bought the tool to press out and install the new bushings. Didn't take 30 minutes total to remove and install the bushings. Did take a bit longer to reinstall the left LCA for whatever reason. It just didn't wanna cooperate. Also bought new outer and one new inner ball joint. Others just in case of wear and inner due to thread gaulling upon removal. REALLY made a difference! I'll be doing powereflex bushings on the Clubamn and the sons 07 MCS as soon as possible! I can highly recommend replacing them. BTW, the daughters Cabrio only had 55K miles and the PF bushings made a massive difference.

We just did the LCA bushings on the daughters Cabrio. I bought the tool to press out and install the new bushings. Didn't take 30 minutes total to remove and install the bushings. Did take a bit longer to reinstall the left LCA for whatever reason. It just didn't wanna cooperate. Also bought new outer and one new inner ball joint. Others just in case of wear and inner due to thread gaulling upon removal. REALLY made a difference! I'll be doing powereflex bushings on the Clubamn and the sons 07 MCS as soon as possible! I can highly recommend replacing them. BTW, the daughters Cabrio only had 55K miles and the PF bushings made a massive difference.

Did you leave the bushing housing on the car while extracting/inserting the bushing? Where did you purchase the tool to press/extract bushings?