notJCW

Sports Cat and VA Emissions

realistically the answer it, It depends. Is the downpipe you are looking at a cat deleted one or does it have a free flow cat? Have you changed the exhaust system and modified the second cat from OEM?

1) if it changes the emissions enough to trip a code, automatic fail at an inspection station. Clearing the code before driving will result in a no test due to the ecu "ratting you out". You will have to drive about 100 miles to reset. 

2) If it removes the downpipe cat, then by the law it fails, but that requires the inspector to know the car hasa second cat, and checks to see if it is there. So depending on the inspector or day it could pass or fail. 

Now if someone was you pass through a rapidpass mobile test, they would be able to go to the website and for a small convenience fee pay for their emission test if they passed (I have never seen a failed one), and there would be no physical inspection.

Where might these tester be? https://rapidpassvirginia.com/VaPublic/Locations

• Like 1

1975Mini001.jpg

1975 Mini 1000, 998cc A+ w/ K&N air filter, 10" Mamba wheels

On 1/18/2022 at 6:07 PM, 1975_mini said:

realistically the answer it, It depends. Is the downpipe you are looking at a cat deleted one or does it have a free flow cat? Have you changed the exhaust system and modified the second cat from OEM?

1) if it changes the emissions enough to trip a code, automatic fail at an inspection station. Clearing the code before driving will result in a no test due to the ecu "ratting you out". You will have to drive about 100 miles to reset. 

2) If it removes the downpipe cat, then by the law it fails, but that requires the inspector to know the car hasa second cat, and checks to see if it is there. So depending on the inspector or day it could pass or fail. 

Now if someone was you pass through a rapidpass mobile test, they would be able to go to the website and for a small convenience fee pay for their emission test if they passed (I have never seen a failed one), and there would be no physical inspection.

Where might these tester be? https://rapidpassvirginia.com/VaPublic/Locations

This is helpful. I think my plan here is ultimately to do a sports cat (not a full decat) and a Borla axle-back exhaust.

Specifically, looking at: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-milltek-sport-parts/downpipe-with-high-flow-catalytic-converter-oem-exhaust-fitment/ssxm429~mll/

I would do a Stage 2 tune through Dinan at the same time, so the coding shouldn't be a problem. Would that pass, do you think?