notJCW

Replacing Lower Control Arm

Hi all—first post here, and grateful for any help in advance.

I need to replace the front left LCA in my 2018 F56. I'm wondering if anyone has done this and has instructions/ torque specs. Seeing a bit of info for R5*s, but nothing for the F56s.

Thanks so much, and looking forward to being part of the community.

On 12/9/2021 at 1:32 PM, notJCW said:

Hi all—first post here, and grateful for any help in advance.

I need to replace the front left LCA in my 2018 F56. I'm wondering if anyone has done this and has instructions/ torque specs. Seeing a bit of info for R5*s, but nothing for the F56s.

Thanks so much, and looking forward to being part of the community.

Welcome, you are moving into a new frontier with working on the Gen3s as they are just coming off warranty for many folks. I will keep an eye out and share any information I can turn up. 

The LCA is the same type as gen2 and other BMWs, should just be pop the two ball joints (bottom of spindle and subframe) and them the rear tab just slides out of the bushing.

Here is the pelican part write up: for previous gen MINIs: https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/MINI/41-SUSPEN-Control_Arm_Bushing_and_ball_joint_Replacement/41-SUSPEN-Control_Arm_Bushing_and_ball_joint_Replacement.htm

I was unable to find the torque specs, but it seems pretty standard across BMW/MINI paltforms: 90nm+/-1 for the inner (subframe) ball joint, and 56 nm on the outer (spindle) ball joint.

We look forward to seeing how it goes and hopefully a gen3 person can confirm.

There is no service manual released for the Gen3 yet, but you can get a one day subscription to BMW online manuals at www.bmwtis.com for $30. Pretty much everything but the wiring diagram is a PDF and downloadable. 

1975Mini001.jpg

1975 Mini 1000, 998cc A+ w/ K&N air filter, 10" Mamba wheels

Just answering my own question for posterity here—

Attach the Control Arm to the front axle support @ 100Nm + 90deg. Do this in normal position (car on the ground or hub supported). Attach to the wheel hub (beneath the strut) at 60Nm.

The holder at the rear, which replaces the bushing, is 100Nm to the front axle support (two bolts of different lengths), and 56Nm + 90deg to the body (two bolts).

• Like 2