Scavenger

Cooling System (R53)

Well, I've done quite a lot of work recently on B.A. I've come to the conclusion that he needs a new radiator. NC heat is quite a bit more common that NoVA heat .. HAHA

One thing that I noticed is that the foam seal that surrounds the radiator has disintegrated. I tested the 2-stage fan and both seem to be working, but it doesn't take long for the 2nd stage to come on... in the NC hear especially when I'm using the A/C. So, I am considering ordering a new radiator and foam surround. I suppose this sort of stuff is to be expected at the age/mileage.

Sometimes I wish I could turn the clock back!

Happy motoring.

• Like 1

2006 MCS, SB/S , "B.A."

• Performance: DINAN "Stage 5" tune, throttle body, boost kit (fuel pump, pulley), & CAI; JCW exhaust sans resonator, brakes, & GP IC; DDM IC diverter; CSF Racing Aluminum Radiator
  • Suspension: DINAN front strut brace; Alta 22mm rear bar; KW V1 coil-overs; H-Sport adjustable rear control arms; CravenSpeed strut underators
  • Interior: CravenSpeed gauge mounts with Cooper S boost and voltage, & shift well cover
  • Wheels: Enkei PF01 17"
  • Audio: Kenwood Excelon KDC-X994 HU; MTX Terminator speakers F&B

Alan @ opensource.com

UPDATE: Well, I was mistaken about the radiator fan. The 1st stage has failed. It has probably been this way for a while. This happened once before many years ago. Basically, the OEM component that controls the stages fails after a while.  So, after 2 failures, I'll be going aftermarket - the part is the Dorman 902-706 Radiator Fan Relay Kit.

Since, this repair requires "front-end service mode", I'll take the opportunity to do several other things. Firstly, replace the radiator with a nice CSF aluminum radiator. I'll also replace all the foam surrounds, since after 16 years, they've all disintegrated.

The right side engine mount has also failed (another OEM part), so I'll be replacing it. I'm sticking with OEM though (this will be #3 or #4!) because as nice as some of the aftermarkets might be, they a) are very expensive b) introduce a lot more vibration into the passenger compartment.

At this point, I'll inspect several other things and consider whether anything needs service or replacement. Possibilities are:

• Supercharger oil service, inspect water pump drive gears.
  • Check thermostat housing, possibly replace thermostat.
  • Inspect crankshaft damper (another known-to-fail OEM part), I'm now on #2. If this needs replacing, then I will definitely go aftermarket. The first time it failed was NOT fun! I don't want to go through that again. So, an ATI Super Damper will go on instead.
  • inspect idler pulley, and pulleys on A/C compressor and alternator. Belt tensioner was replaced not long ago, so I'm not too concerned about it. However, I have one of the Alta tensioner stops on it, and it's all bent out of shape and not even working right, so I'm just going to remove it. What a POS.
  • check/replace crankshaft position sensor o-ring seal - another common oil leakage point.
  • inspect vacuum lines and "profile" gasket for the supercharger inlet pipe. I have a spare gasket JIC.

It seems like a lot, but if I want to keep enjoying the car, it needs to be done!

2006 MCS, SB/S , "B.A."

• Performance: DINAN "Stage 5" tune, throttle body, boost kit (fuel pump, pulley), & CAI; JCW exhaust sans resonator, brakes, & GP IC; DDM IC diverter; CSF Racing Aluminum Radiator
  • Suspension: DINAN front strut brace; Alta 22mm rear bar; KW V1 coil-overs; H-Sport adjustable rear control arms; CravenSpeed strut underators
  • Interior: CravenSpeed gauge mounts with Cooper S boost and voltage, & shift well cover
  • Wheels: Enkei PF01 17"
  • Audio: Kenwood Excelon KDC-X994 HU; MTX Terminator speakers F&B

Alan @ opensource.com