Scavenger

2006 R53 Refresh/Restoration - Audio

So, this year I've done a lot of work on B.A. to get him back in good condition. After 15 years and 130K miles, a MINI is going to need some work. I wanted to capture it all here. Maybe this information will be helpful to others. Particular first gen owners.

While I had the interior pulled out, I used this chance to replace the stock speakers. I had already upgraded the head unit a few years ago to a nice Kenwood Excelon, but I hadn't done the speakers. Important Note - I have the base stereo system, NOT the Harman-Kardon or DPSM, and also I don't have navigation, those options have different requirements.

I ordered some MTX Terminator (rear: 6"x9", front 6.5" component).  The rears are an easy job, but the fronts require adapters.  The rears aren't visible, and I mounted the tweeters behind the stock grills, however, I decided to use the MTX grills for the door speakers.

IMG_1073.thumb.jpg.b3e73fa91d8b525b9e4928d6fc3dd9a9.jpg

I modified the stock tweeter mounts to hold the MTX's.

IMG_E1072.thumb.jpg.76903b530bfe437a16df140e67351a43.jpg

The fronts required a bit more working, starting with drilling a new hole for the adapter.

IMG_E1062.thumb.jpg.707e352de400fdb07c7f8cead9600f55.jpg

I then removed the factory grills and enlarged the holes and added mount points for the new grills. I didn't like the hardware that came with the speakers,

IMG_E1063.thumb.jpg.d8f73508f0680eb26f75a97ef64e3821.jpg

it really looked like crap, so I devised something cleaner. The picture below shows the better option (viewed from back) on the Left.

IMG_E1066.thumb.jpg.030cb92053257b04d18088050d93eab5.jpg

and the view from the front.

IMG_E1064.thumb.jpg.275099ac223477bc3f2129bd443cc014.jpg

IMG_E1071.thumb.jpg.3990a17becca57cbd85b82eb5e8f8b03.jpg

The final piece was to relocate the hands-free microphone that came with my Kenwood. I originally mounted it on the steering column just in front of the gauges. So, I rerouted the wire up to the ceiling and placed the microphone into the factory location for the MINI OEM hands-free kit. This of course meant the sunroof switch moved to the passenger side which took a while to get used to. The grill piece had become brittle and broke, so I had to order a replacement. (broken one pictured)

IMG_1038.thumb.jpg.cc612e1c87c0a21eb6040ca270b55909.jpg

While I had the door panels off, I realized that the passenger side puddle light wasn't connected. I don't recall ever having any service done on that door, so it's a mystery as to how that happened!

So, just from taking the car in for service at various shops over the time I've owned it seems to have resulted in a lot of little issues, like broken clips, loose connections... etc. I'm not trying to point any fingers, but it seems to show how important it is to find a really quality shop! It also pays to get to know your car, particular if you plan to keep it a long time like I've decided.

Equipment List:

Front and Rear speakers - This is really based on personal preference, budget, and other factors.

Metra 72-9301 Speaker Wiring Harness (2) - needed for both front and back

Scosche SASCN656 Speaker Mounting Brackets -for front speakers

Stinger Roadkill RKFR6 FAST Rings

Hillman 1/4" Threaded Posts and #8-32 x 1/4" Machine Screws - I got these at Lowe's Home Improvement, makes for a nicer way to mount grills

Edited by Scavenger
Add equipment list
  • Like 2

2006 MCS, SB/S , "B.A."

• Performance: DINAN "Stage 5" tune, throttle body, boost kit (fuel pump, pulley), & CAI; JCW exhaust sans resonator, brakes, & GP IC; DDM IC diverter; CSF Racing Aluminum Radiator
  • Suspension: DINAN front strut brace; Alta 22mm rear bar; KW V1 coil-overs; H-Sport adjustable rear control arms; CravenSpeed strut underators
  • Interior: CravenSpeed gauge mounts with Cooper S boost and voltage, & shift well cover
  • Wheels: Enkei PF01 17"
  • Audio: Kenwood Excelon KDC-X994 HU; MTX Terminator speakers F&B

Alan @ opensource.com

Im enjoying this thread in particular. Ive been into home audio systems for a while but have been afraid to bust my car open and get in there. My girlfriend has let me toy with her old 2002 Neon and I definitely want to be getting new Mids sometime soon. Even if mine is an F56 this is super helpful for me!

• Like 1